Author Topic: Precise Weapon  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
Precise Weapon
« on: September 23, 2014, 12:16:01 AM »
The wording on Precise Weapon (MIC p. 40) is obscure enough that I wonder, could you have a +1 Precise dagger sheathed on your belt and gain the Precise Shot feat for your Gloves of Endless Javelins (MIC p. 194)?
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
Re: Precise Weapon
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 12:19:36 PM »
Well, you never get the feat, but you do get an identical benefit (the removal of the penalty).

That said, the text is "you can shoot or throw a precise weapon."  The weapon you are using has to be the one with the property or you get no benefit.  I really don't see how you think it's "obscure" at all as it's really quite precise (pun not intended).

Full text:
Quote from: MIC page 40
You can shoot or throw a precise weapon
at an opponent engaged in melee without
incurring the standard –4 penalty. This
benefit does not apply if you already have
the Precise Shot feat.

1. It's very clear you don't get the feat.  You don't even get "the benefit of the Precise Shot feat."  You get an identical benefit (removal of the penalty for firing into melee).  It doesn't apply if you have the Precise Shot feat because that feat already removes the penalty, so this property no longer has anything to do.
2. It's very clear it has to be the weapon with the Precise property making the attack to get the benefit.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 12:23:40 PM by snakeman830 »
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 07:18:59 PM »
You are absolutely correct, I had mis-read the description.  I think I had missed the word "precise" from the first sentence somehow.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 07:27:18 PM »
No worries.  Still, good to know at least one thing in 3.5 was exceptionally well written :p
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."