Author Topic: A question about music on your computer  (Read 2109 times)

Offline ImperatorK

• Legendary Member
  • Chara did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
    • Kristof Imperator YouTube Channel
A question about music on your computer
« on: December 29, 2012, 03:37:51 AM »
I have a rather big collection of mp3s. I'm curious about how much time in total they all last.
I have Windows 7, so I can just highlight the songs and it will tell me the total time, but I have the music in many separate folders, segregated by authors and albums, so I can't really do that. Maybe there is a way, but I can't find it in Windows settings. Moving the mp3s to one folder is too much work. I'm lazy.
I have Windows Media Player, the Windows 7 version. I tried to use it, but again I could not find such an option.
I have iTunes and an iPod Touch. Nothing.
Maybe I'm just stupid and can't find a simple thing? Does anyone know of a simple and quick way to get the total time for multiple songs in different folders, using either Windows 7, Windows Media Player, iTunes or iPod functions?
Downloading another program that can do it is out of the question.
Magic is for weaklings.

Alucard: "*snif snif* Huh? Suddenly it reeks of hypocrisy in here. Oh, if it isn't the Catholic Church. And what's this? No little Timmy glued to your crotch. Progress!"
My YT channel - LoL gameplay

Offline dipolartech

• Handy Haversack anyone?
    • View Profile
Re: A question about music on your computer
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 05:30:20 AM »
if you have used the scan for music option in WMP then you should have a "library" view on a viewing pane click on the "music" then click to focus in the viewing pane with the songs, crtl+A to select all. Your computer should chug for a split second and then you get a "total # of items, total time" display on the lower right. Annoyingly its a temporary display. After selecting them all you can add them to a playlist and the playlist should always display how long it is.

Offline ImperatorK

• Legendary Member
  • Chara did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
    • Kristof Imperator YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 05:57:41 AM »
Thank you, that did the trick.
Magic is for weaklings.

Alucard: "*snif snif* Huh? Suddenly it reeks of hypocrisy in here. Oh, if it isn't the Catholic Church. And what's this? No little Timmy glued to your crotch. Progress!"
My YT channel - LoL gameplay

Offline dipolartech

• Handy Haversack anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 02:08:53 PM »
If you want to get a feel for time from a folder view, select all the folders you are interested and right click, hopefully one of your media players has included a "play all" or "add to playlist" or "enqueue to winamp" etc which will open up a media nad add to a temp playlist

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 02:31:48 PM »
On my Mac, having everything imported to iTunes shows a full time-of-play at the bottom (as well as total GB).  For example, mine is 5293 songs, 15.7 days, 25.35 GB.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 02:49:49 PM »
Exact number varies of course. Like most mp3s are 128kbps but some are not, some have IDv2 & IDv3 tags, some don't, and file size isn't the same thing as size on the HD disk, etc.

But seriously, 1min per 1mb can give a rough estimate instantly if you're talking about pirated music.
ITunes on the other hand uses 256kbps, hence SirP's relatively short duration. 

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 03:00:50 PM »

... mine is 5293 songs, 15.7 days, 25.35 GB.

Sinead O'Connor :  "It's been 5293 songs and 15 days ... since you took your Gigs away ... ahh-ah-ah ahh ah."

(oops sorry, mayan apocalypse flashback / there'll be more)
Your codpiece is a mimic.