Author Topic: Fallout 4 General  (Read 43686 times)

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
Fallout 4 General
« on: December 30, 2015, 08:02:15 AM »
Seeing as there's enough of an interest in Fallout 4, i think it's time a proper thread for the game was made so as to not derail threads any further in discussing this awesome game!

Quote from: MrWolfe
Intersting. Hadn't heard that about being able to hit 12 with the book and a bobblehead. I'm assuming that means you have to wait until the stat is at 10 before getting either?

I could see the "power armor sets your strength to 11" thing making sense from the perspective that you're using the armor's servos, rather than your own muscle power.

Hmm, probably should start selling off those ammo types I don't use. I have several types in the thousands, and only just hit lvl 20. Only really use 10mm, shotgun rounds, fusion cells, and .45 (now that I've started doing the Silver Shroud quests) but since ammo weighs nothing I've been lugging all of it around with me.

Haven't really been buying or selling much of anything actually--everything either goes into crafting or gets hoarded for later. Mainly hoarded for later, since I haven't bothered to do much settlement stuff.

If you start with it at 10, or raise it to 10 through Intense Training, then get book + bobblehead, it doesn't matter - either way it can go to 12 base. It's almost never worth it, though. In fact, i'd wager no stat over 10 is worth it, really...

Yeah, ammo you don't use is better turned into caps. Being weightless they're just as good as caps, and by the time you start stockpiling any serious amount of ammo, you probably figured out which kinds of ammo you use the most and so are in no risk of selling ammo you actually will want to use in the future. Vendors in this game are expensive as HELL but they have some nice pieces of equipment to help survivability, especially armor IMO.

"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4 General
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 08:09:44 AM »
You're Special can't raise a stat beyond 10 (make a character with 10 anything, go pick it up), but the bobblehead can. I'll need to check if the military paint bonus still gets applied on top of the armour's hardsetting. Now, if there's some other way of getting strength to 12 as a baseline... then the hardsetting is a reduction (because it negates, e.g., clothing worn below, it can actually reduce strength as a whole). And of all the things to get above 10, the one that directly rasises damage and carrying capacity seems like a good idea.

Yeah, I know how bad melee can be. Decided to fetch the Grognak outfit and axe with high strength, went for a walk through Corvega. This was at all of level 5. With more perks and touching the chems...

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 10:36:59 AM »
Yeah, that's what I thought--but hadn't tested it yet. I have noticed that temp bonuses such as those from armor/clothing will stack up to 11. Currently have a 6 charisma and with Reginald's Suit (+3), a pair of Black Framed Sunglasses (+1), and a Formal Hat (+1) I hit 11 Cha when I check it in the pipbpoy.

Have definitely seen the effectiveness of melee--for a while the wife was running around in power armor using nothing but a super sledge. Only real weakness of that combat style is: Super Mutant Suiciders. :P
A little madness goes a long way...

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 11:16:19 AM »
You can lower stats through drugs/addiction/gear and raise it with You're Special, too... Can even go beyond 12, just checked here on the forums, people have been abusing that with Dogmeat's dupe glitch to get all stats pretty astronomical.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 11:59:06 AM »
Yeah, that's what I thought--but hadn't tested it yet. I have noticed that temp bonuses such as those from armor/clothing will stack up to 11. Currently have a 6 charisma and with Reginald's Suit (+3), a pair of Black Framed Sunglasses (+1), and a Formal Hat (+1) I hit 11 Cha when I check it in the pipbpoy.

Have definitely seen the effectiveness of melee--for a while the wife was running around in power armor using nothing but a super sledge. Only real weakness of that combat style is: Super Mutant Suiciders. :P

I guess that's what Blitz is for. Teleport-decapitation?

You can lower stats through drugs/addiction/gear and raise it with You're Special, too... Can even go beyond 12, just checked here on the forums, people have been abusing that with Dogmeat's dupe glitch to get all stats pretty astronomical.

If I was gonna do that, I'd just do it the easy way, since I'm on PC: player.setav [whatever] [high number] :lmao

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 07:32:00 PM »
Exactly what i think, but for some, a glitch is legit while a console command is not...

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 07:53:32 PM »
So, I bought the game for xbox (shut up before i do this :chairhit  to you!)

Any suggestions on good builds?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 08:44:17 PM »

Do STR. Do END. Get 4 Perception and anything left over in Agility (might want to up this over time). Go find Hubris Comics. Get the axe out of the display case (needs the first lockpicking perk). Case the place. Be a Conan-esque barbarian despite the game being sci-fi. :P

... one that is extremely good at murdering the living hell out of everything.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 08:55:09 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 03:04:44 AM »

More info plz.

XBox players represent! :D

Seriously, I would play on PC (I miss mods) but with my budget it's more doable to catch the holidays sales on the XBox One bundle than to buy a PC that can run it.

Haven't played enough to really say so far. Low Int and the idiot savant perk is supposed to be better for leveling, but personally I can't stand the sound when it activates. Aquaboy/Girl is awesome, and you should totally get it. Other than that it really depends on what you want to focus on. My antisocial everyman build (dumped Cha to 2, kept the rest of the stats around 4-5, focused on crafting perks and stealth sniping) has worked fine so far and my wife's "Go everywhere in power armor and smack things with hammers is working great for her, so it seems like there's a broad range of viable builds.

I will say that the Scrapper perk is super important if you plan to do a lot of crafting--though you can skip the weapon/armor crafting perks if you want to just swap mods you find on other items onto your main gear instead of having to level up Armorer, Blacksmith, Gun Nut, etc.

Do STR. Do END. Get 4 Perception and anything left over in Agility (might want to up this over time). Go find Hubris Comics. Get the axe out of the display case (needs the first lockpicking perk). Case the place. Be a Conan-esque barbarian despite the game being sci-fi. :P

... one that is extremely good at murdering the living hell out of everything.

Protip: Hubris comics is infested with ghouls. Be careful not to get swarmed, especially if you go there at a low level. Although,
(click to show/hide)
are actually really good armors--
(click to show/hide)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 09:08:10 AM »
There's an article on the Fallout wiki that has a chart comparing the average experience gains: Idiot Savant at rank 2 with 4 intelligence is the highest average XP gain until you're wandering around with 13 or more INT.

On top of the Grognak armour having great buffs, the axe is really good for dealing with the 'swarmed by ghouls thing'. Though the Glowing One on the top floor's a nasty piece of work at low levels. Still, it's doable.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 09:18:09 AM by Raineh Daze »

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 11:06:36 AM »
If you really want to level up as fast as possible, the ultimate best way of doing so as fast as possible would be to have both High INT and Idiot Savant at max level.

The reasoning is as such: You can lower your INT with chems/outfits when you're going to turn in quests, which would benefit the most out of Idiot Savant, then save scum to guarantee x3/x5 rewards and use the high intelligence when adventuring to get overall more XP than you would by simply using either one.

This, of course, highly depends on your planned build as wasting points on INT simply to level up faster is suboptimal if you're going to end up wasting those levels on other SPECIAL you've neglected...

Another fun way of levelling using Idiot Savant is settlement building/scrapping. Idiot Savant + crafting Wire Fence Posts & Wire Fences get you each 2-3xp per craft (10-15 with Savant rank 2), and each costs 2 wood & 2 steel respectively. Not uncommon to have 1000+ wood/steel lying around just from stuff you can scrap on every settlement. And then you can scrap everything you've crafted at 50% return, then 25% return, then 12,5%... Until you have no more wood or steel. Pretty easy way to jumpstart your game, leaving sanctuary at level 10+.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 11:09:12 AM by brujon »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 12:34:15 PM »
Heh, the fastest way to level is to not explore the game and just railroad yourself with quests :D

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2016, 02:32:28 AM »
There's an article on the Fallout wiki that has a chart comparing the average experience gains: Idiot Savant at rank 2 with 4 intelligence is the highest average XP gain until you're wandering around with 13 or more INT.

On top of the Grognak armour having great buffs, the axe is really good for dealing with the 'swarmed by ghouls thing'. Though the Glowing One on the top floor's a nasty piece of work at low levels. Still, it's doable.

The reason I mentioned the ghouls was that I got swarmed just inside the door. If you don't know to be careful, you can be taken by surprise by just how many there are on the first two floors--especially since the ones on the second floor can and will drop down on you through the holes in the ceiling. If you make the mistake I did and just try to snipe the first one you see, you may end up alerting most of the ghouls in the building and finding yourself overrun very quickly.

As for the Grognak armor, it's very good--especially with the bonus to strength and melee damage--but the upgraded Silver Shroud outfit is one of the best armor sets I've seen so far. Once you get the second upgrade, it outstrips even the stacked piecemeal armors. (ie: heavy combat armor arms/legs/chest pieces over Road Leathers.)

Edit: Actually, let me rephrase:  After getting the second upgrade the Silver Shroud armor is the best armor I've seen in the game so far. Except for power armor of course, which you can always wear over it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 02:40:15 AM by MrWolfe »

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2016, 02:44:14 AM »
so,i'm going to get the Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide before i start the game to give me some offline help. I do wonder however have the dogmeat and infinite popcaps glitches been patched yet?

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2016, 03:38:20 AM »
so,i'm going to get the Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide before i start the game to give me some offline help. I do wonder however have the dogmeat and infinite popcaps glitches been patched yet?

Not sure about the Dogmeat duplication glitch, but infinite caps is gone.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 11:03:40 AM »
I... ran into Swan. That was an interesting thing to be doing with a  pre-level 10 character.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2016, 11:30:01 AM »
I shot Swan in the face and he got stuck trying to continually cover his face to block the shots instead of chasing me.
Also his fat hands don't cover his face so he kind of....killed himself there I'll say....-_-'
At least when one of my roommates found Swan, the fight was much more entertaining as it was suppose to be cause he didn't do that with him xD

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2016, 11:57:31 AM »
The only weapons I had were the fists of my power armour... and a lot of mines. :T

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2016, 05:10:38 PM »
Not sure about the Dogmeat duplication glitch, but infinite caps is gone.

Really? I thought that was called: "Build a water purifier at Sanctuary."  :D

I... ran into Swan. That was an interesting thing to be doing with a  pre-level 10 character.

I feel your pain. My wife dared me to piss him off simply because we were both curious what the hell he actually was. Though I'm curious how you "ran into" him without noticing all the signs posted everywhere warning you away or the big freaking skull next to his health bar in VATS. I actually had to get into the water and walk right up next to him before he did anything...

...of course once he did react to my presence it was about two seconds in VATS slomo of "Oh, so it's a behemoth. Is that a ship anchor he's wielding? Wow, these shots I'm cuing up aren't going to do anythi--oh hey I just got one-shotted." :tongue

The only weapons I had were the fists of my power armour... and a lot of mines. :T

"Fall back while dropping mines" is a highly viable tactic in 4, provided you're facing something that can't shoot you or close the gap before you can get out of the blast radius. Even then sometimes tanking the explosion from one of your own mines if preferable to a swipe from whatever's chasing you--especially if it's a deathclaw. Those cutscene maul attacks are nasty.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2016, 10:30:48 PM »
Well, it was intentional. I wanted the damn powerfist. However... I hadn't actually looked anything up other than the pond's location. I was expecting some angry raider guy, not a horrendous monstrosity that would've utterly annihilated me immediately if I hadn't been sitting at 12 END and on Psycho at the time. :lmao