Author Topic: file transfer  (Read 1868 times)

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
file transfer
« on: February 21, 2016, 05:03:54 PM »
I just bought a new laptop (replacing my old one, of 8 years....), and I'm curious as to the fastest/best way to transfer my stuff from old to new.  Currently using Google drive to upload all my D&D stuff including all the homebrews so I have access to those anywhere (overdue, yeah), but the other stuff needs to just move over.  So...just a hard drive?  Or is there a better way?  I'll have to dig out my mom's HD wherever it is if I choose that route, that's probably the fastest external HD option we have.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: file transfer
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 05:09:27 PM »
External HDD or a crossover cable would probably be your fastest options.  (Or connecting them both to your wired network, you won't need to buy a cable that way.)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 06:06:35 PM »
External HDD or a crossover cable would probably be your fastest options.  (Or connecting them both to your wired network, you won't need to buy a cable that way.)

First step (which it looks like you've done), is shift as much to the cloud as possible, because it really does make setting up new machines easier. Otherwise, I'd echo Nanshork and the wired network. I've found that to just be a more reliable method than using a crossover cable and faster than the external HDD (one copy vs two).

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 07:57:03 PM »
Yeah,that's what I thought.  The reality is that I got my last laptop before clouds becamewidespread.  So I never set up anything and I'm just now putting some things to the cloud.....it's...taking a while to upload everything....
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.