Author Topic: MtG General Thread  (Read 11192 times)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
MtG General Thread
« on: January 11, 2012, 07:47:22 AM »
It's that time again. New MtG Expansion! The all new Dark Ascension line of cards.

Sticking to the horror theme we've got real vampires, were wolves, and more blood and gore than a Mortal Kombat game.

You probably should grab a bite before googling this

Here is a couple of cards.
Zombies!
The holy grail?
R&B: still the fastest.

But if you really want to know why I got around to posting this today.

Guess who the new walker card is.

(click to show/hide)

Any last words? (<- unlisted video link)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 07:50:07 AM by SorO_Lost »

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
Re: MtG General Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 08:29:02 AM »
This... Seems like an awesome new expansion. I should get back to MtG. I stopped just before New Phyrexia came out. You play on Workstation, Soro?
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
  • You have one round to give a rat's ass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 10:07:36 AM »
I'm rather excited for the Flashback support (my Sedris EDH deck would love it), but the new Dragon has my full attention at the moment.
Concerned about how moderation works here? Please PM this account.

Offline darqueseid

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 10:31:51 AM »
Sorin looks awesome!

Offline Dragon Snack

• Lurker
  • Game Store Owner
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Snack Games
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 01:28:27 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn-mZusg9tA&feature=youtu.be

So Sorin is a "good guy"!?  Defender of the realm?  I love his card as well...

Undying?  Fateful Hour?  Awesome abilities...
If you look at the entire history of the RPG industry, you'll see the same, long, sad story: a mountain of conventional wisdom, usually backed by selective listening, that leads to a long chain of failed games and bad ideas. - Mike Mearls

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 06:42:27 PM »
This... Seems like an awesome new expansion. I should get back to MtG. I stopped just before New Phyrexia came out. You play on Workstation, Soro?
You would think I do but I haven't. Maybe I should look into it later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn-mZusg9tA&feature=youtu.be

So Sorin is a "good guy"!?  Defender of the realm?  I love his card as well...

Undying?  Fateful Hour?  Awesome abilities...
Fun fyi: Fateful Hour appeared before as a cycle (Urza's Destiny I think), the blue enchantment was 2U to cast and <5 life you can sacrifice it for another turn.

And undying makes me think Hex Parasite. I'd like it if there is a card that could give the parasite Undying, talk about persistence.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 06:50:42 PM »
Undying is basically the anti-Infect. That GG Undying Haste guy is now the bane of any Standard infect decks that don't try to Voltron Inkmoth Nexus.

Look into Cockatrice. They don't ask for money.

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Even forever must end, I think. ...
    • View Profile
    • Legend RPG, Rule of Cool Gaming
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 02:52:40 AM »
"Hey, baby, want to play Zombie Apocalypse?" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
"You had a tough day at the office. So you come home, make
yourself some dinner, smother your kids, pop in a movie, maybe
have a drink. It's fun, right? Wrong. Don't smother your kids."
- The More You Know

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 01:44:30 AM »
Running a Sliver deck but hate anticreature spells?

New lich card is amazingly useful.

Pull you own cheap come into play (or leave play) effects or use your opponents!.
Heck, yank Thalia back onto the field and impose an extra +1 to counterspelling or +2 to virtually any other spell based removal costs.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 01:47:54 AM by SorO_Lost »

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 02:48:27 AM »
Damn, that edition is turning out some beastly cards. This is bound to make an impact in Legacy and Extended play. Going to be studying this new block soon...
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 06:18:47 PM »
Damn, that edition is turning out some beastly cards. This is bound to make an impact in Legacy and Extended play. Going to be studying this new block soon...
It is, at a glance you would comment the block is focused on creatures. Opposed to the last being artifacts and poison or the Alara thing being color mixing.

You can see how the arc is playing out now too.
The first expansion gave changed things one having one or two useful creatures dominating the table to a dozen none-ability tokens attacking en mass. You know, generally the wrong way to win in a tournament. So naturally the best way to portray this is having evil hordes of zombies, werewolves and even vampires interbreeding like jack rabbits. Even Snapcaster Mage popped in and said creatureless decks needs creatures too.

This second expansion is normalizing. Things are going back to normal, the humans are rallying back. Transform isn't creature only, single heavy hitters and mass kills are back (see below). And you're back to playing with a handful of creatures, like the lich can just keep returning and cloning it's self into your favorite single creature.
(click to show/hide)

The next expansion is titled "Avacyn Restored" and I'm thinking epilogue. Arc's over, we had our change and over came it to return to the normal "good" ways. AR is just wrapping things up and conveniently named as such. It seems more like it's playing to the fact we haven't had an ending to a block (see Zendikar and Mirrodin) than anything else, and you know what? Fine with me. You need a third act to complete the story.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 10:42:11 PM »
Phasing returns.
+

Like I said, normalizing. It's not quite total creature removal effects, but we're getting close.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 11:00:17 PM »
Entire set will be posted in the Oracle and at MTGS at midnight.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 09:36:14 PM »
Wow... Sundial is really powerful. You can shut down a lot of combos with that.........

Offline Dragon Snack

• Lurker
  • Game Store Owner
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Snack Games
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 12:33:09 AM »
I would LOVE to draft M12/ Innistrad/ Dark Ascension, but I doubt any of my players will want anything to do with that.  I tried to push M11/ Scars drafts back then too, but nobody would go for it...
If you look at the entire history of the RPG industry, you'll see the same, long, sad story: a mountain of conventional wisdom, usually backed by selective listening, that leads to a long chain of failed games and bad ideas. - Mike Mearls

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 04:28:56 AM »
Wow... Sundial is really powerful. You can shut down a lot of combos with that.........
WotC has an article up saying you can use Sundail to stop your turn after playing Phyrexian Dreadnought and skip the whole sacrifice part.

Read about it here.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 12:30:36 PM »
Grand Abolisher. Holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! EVERYONE will splash white now. If this lands and you get protection for it, it completely shut down counterspells.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 01:56:58 PM »
Grand Abolisher. Holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! EVERYONE will splash white now. If this lands and you get protection for it, it completely shut down counterspells.

Not quite that good because of how fragile a 2/2 is in almost every format. Every color has a way to deal with it.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 01:51:13 AM »

Not quite that good because of how fragile a 2/2 is in almost every format. Every color has a way to deal with it.

Slap him with a can't be target of spells or abilities and have a counterspell in the ready for global effects. Since they'll only be able to do that on their turn, on your turn you have ways to protect him beforehand, with no chance of opposition. If he lands at all, that is. White/Blue is already the best control base. This card is a one-sided "Player's can only cast in their turn"(Forgot name of the card). Combine that with stack ending Sundial of the Infinite, Smokestacks and general abuse of card's with sacrifice, echo, vanish, etc... And you suddenly have changed the entire matchup for control in T1,5 and T4. It's actually kinda ballsy of wizards to launch such powerful and game-changing cards in one block. We're bound to see decks abusing those two cards and their effects, and the interactions are simply unpredictable.

Actually, the card says that it ends your turn, but does that mean that it also skips the end step? Because spells can enter on the end step, and it's actually kind of standard to do what you got to do on the end step of the opponent to minimize chance of counter play. And, if it *DOES* skip the end step, then take a look at this little beauty here: http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=12970 .

Take another turn for 2 mana, just like Time Walk, but red, anyone? Also, all the Pacts have now negligible consequences, since you can just play em' and next turn just sundial and not ever pay the cost...

I'm just one guy brainstorming here, i'm sure the guys at mtgsalvation have already broke this in 100 sorts of ways, but i'm too lazy to go there and check out.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 03:24:43 AM »
Shroud effects aren't currently in Standard (there's Swiftfoot Boots, but that is impractical in most competitive decks). Grand Abolisher is largely a sideboard card for dealing with the Control matchups; he's most at home in Solar Flare, Tempered Steel, or Zoo. U/W Control kinda died a little when Wolf Run hit the scene (Mono-Blue Aggro is growing, but that's because WotC gave it a lot of love).

In fact, the control matchups in the current Standard are almost dead and gone. The last few genuine holdouts almost universally buckle to Wolf Run or W/B Tokens as they don't have efficient sweepers (DoJ isn't working quite that well). Abolisher is regulated to SB because he can't stick around in a format that is this cluttered with aggro/ramp decks like Wolf Run.

He's at least used in Legacy, but he has significantly bigger problems with counterspells or removal in that format than in Standard. Ultimately he's a solid card, but he's not good enough for decks to splash White specifically for him alone. Most decks that run him also run Gideon Jura, Timely Reinforcements, Sun Titan, or Day of Judgement as well, and almost always regulate the Abolisher to SB.

Actually, the card says that it ends your turn, but does that mean that it also skips the end step? Because spells can enter on the end step, and it's actually kind of standard to do what you got to do on the end step of the opponent to minimize chance of counter play. And, if it *DOES* skip the end step, then take a look at this little beauty here: http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=12970 .

Take another turn for 2 mana, just like Time Walk, but red, anyone? Also, all the Pacts have now negligible consequences, since you can just play em' and next turn just sundial and not ever pay the cost...

I'm just one guy brainstorming here, i'm sure the guys at mtgsalvation have already broke this in 100 sorts of ways, but i'm too lazy to go there and check out.

Been done before, and the conclusion is that Trickbind or Stifle is more useful for the idea (easier to disrupt, but less predictable unless they visibly cannot kill you on Final Fortune's bonus turn).

Trust me on this; I'm one of the guys on MTGS.