Author Topic: Pre-game and "mother-may-I"s with the DM  (Read 87896 times)

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-game and "mother-may-I"s with the DM
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2012, 09:52:40 PM »
In my case, I keep taking an arrow to the knee. Heh.

And now I'm also pondering straight Generalist or a Generalist/Fighter/Arcane Archer.

Pretty sure I'll stick with the Generalist 3, at level three the arcane archer would be Generalist 1/Fighter 2.

My opinion, and this is only my opinion, is that if a Wizard goes AA, that that is counter-intuitive. A generalist can already "Arcane Archer" with an Orb of Acid, which usually does more damage. The re-usability of the arrows w/o spells is negated by the fact that archery sucks w/o heavy augmentation. And the ability to blend the styles is irrelevant with the level investment making each of the classes weaker.

My opinion, and this is only my opinion, is that one of the only "decent" builds for Arcane Archer is Duskblade 5 / Abjurant Champion 5 / Arcane Archer 10.

Feel free to prove me wrong (or dead wrong). That's how I learn.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline ShadowViper

• Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2012, 11:51:10 PM »
That's what I was pretty much thinking, and probably wouldn't work out that well in this type of campaign.
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2012, 04:36:17 PM »
Think my build is pretty much going to be Wizard 10/Loremaster 10 with Elven Generalist taken at 1st and 3rd Levels.

Edit: And since we're not playing in Eberron, is Aerenal Arcanist acceptable?

Edit 2: Thinking possibly Arrogant and Inattentive for flaws
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 10:30:40 PM by ShadowViper »
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2012, 10:03:22 AM »
Think my build is pretty much going to be Wizard 10/Loremaster 10 with Elven Generalist taken at 1st and 3rd Levels.

Edit: And since we're not playing in Eberron, is Aerenal Arcanist acceptable?

Edit 2: Thinking possibly Arrogant and Inattentive for flaws

Given Aerenal Arcanist has the fluff of "your family has special history, they knew you were special, they treated you as being special, you are smart because of this" yes, you can take it.
Really, the only thing about that feat that is setting specific is the regional pre-req. Which is easy enough to ignore.

And let's face it. All that special treatment would make a person somewhat arrogant :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:05:52 AM by ariasderros »
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2012, 11:24:28 AM »
Thinking also Collegiate Wizard, but not sure if that'll work given the low-magic setting, assuming with the rarity of special people, that Arcane Colleges wouldn't really exist, or do they?

And Aerenal Arcanist pretty much covers being a young apprentice taught by one's father from an early age, but also wanted him studying in a college as well.

And might(probably most likely) replace inattentive with Overconfident.

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2012, 11:54:53 AM »
Thinking also Collegiate Wizard, but not sure if that'll work given the low-magic setting, assuming with the rarity of special people, that Arcane Colleges wouldn't really exist, or do they?

And Aerenal Arcanist pretty much covers being a young apprentice taught by one's father from an early age, but also wanted him studying in a college as well.

And might(probably most likely) replace inattentive with Overconfident.

(click to show/hide)
There is one, and only one, true academy. Less than 300 people in the building, and it is just a really big mansion, but it counts.

Also, in that post, Chimest refences being a Gnome. His given name is Chimest Ravenos. Anyone care to guess what class he is?  :eh
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2012, 12:25:54 PM »
Alrighty that works, trained by father at an early age, later moving to the collage, perhaps his father is even a professor there as well.

Edit: And on second thought I'll probably switch him from Sun Elf to Gray Elf.

Edit 2: What about Pathfinder equipment, currently I'm interested in the Masterwork Backpack?

And this spell from Pathfinder: Gravity Bow
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 04:26:56 PM by ShadowViper »

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 10, 2012, 05:36:02 PM »
Bump for question edit  :D

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 10, 2012, 06:04:17 PM »
Professor Natiavan is a Fire Grey-Elf. He has a wife that I haven't stated. I can say she's a Sun Elf.
Meet your parents if you want them.

Backpack is okay (if a little over-priced).
Spell is okay.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2012, 08:15:24 PM »
Sounds good. Though he is a straight up Gray Elf.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 15, 2012, 04:15:46 PM »
Does Mortalbane still work with Eldritch Blast?

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2012, 10:29:17 PM »

... I'm beginning to think that it would just be easier to say that it is a SLA still, but that it doesn't provoke AoO, and is not subject to SR, since that is the intent of the houserule.

Thoughts?

EDIT: and either way, yes you can do that.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 10:35:03 PM by ariasderros »
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2012, 01:05:06 PM »

... I'm beginning to think that it would just be easier to say that it is a SLA still, but that it doesn't provoke AoO, and is not subject to SR, since that is the intent of the houserule.

Thoughts?

It is probably better to just do it that way, yes.  The class was designed with Vitriolic Blast in mind to overcome SR but then it runs into acid resistance as well as stuff like clay golems healing from acid damage.  For a Lesser evocation it might work, but for a Greater?  Probably not since 11th level is too late to effectively deal with stuff that has SR and all that.

Edit:  Then again, you did specify that it's still treated as an SLA for feats which Mortalbane certainly is.  Bit of a derp on my part.

Is it possible to have a Warlock's Scepter be an Ancestral Weapon?  Obviously starting out as weaker than the norm of course.  Just a +1 mace that grants the +1 on ranged touch attacks perhaps, then getting better from there as the character invests more resources into it?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 02:38:42 PM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2012, 02:38:44 PM »

Thoughts?

It is probably better to just do it that way, yes.  The class was designed with Vitriolic Blast in mind to overcome SR but then it runs into acid resistance as well as stuff like clay golems healing from acid damage.  For a Lesser evocation it might work, but for a Greater?  Probably not since 11th level is too late to effectively deal with stuff that has SR and all that.

Is it possible to have a Warlock's Scepter be an Ancestral Weapon?  Obviously starting out as weaker than the norm of course.  Just a +1 mace that grants the +1 on ranged touch attacks perhaps, then getting better from there as the character invests more resources into it?

Yes. You can do that.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2012, 06:13:11 PM »
What are your thoughts on Keen Intellect for those who aren't of those clans mentioned?  Potential for refluffing?

Lovely feat crunch time.  I looked at the averages for CR 8 monsters at http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=3472.0 and found they're around 96 HP with a max of 180.  This has me wondering whether it'd even be worth it to take Mortalbane since my character won't be able to contribute much to actual damage.  Weapon Focus or Point Blank shot for accuracy, maybe.  Definitely Ability Focus: Eldritch Blast though since saves are going to be a hassle when we start.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 04:14:51 PM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2012, 10:03:29 PM »
What are your thoughts on Keen Intellect for those who aren't of those clans mentioned?  Potential for refluffing?
Refluff as necessary. Something to do with familial tendencies.
Lovely feat crunch time.  I looked at the averages for CR 8 monsters at http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=3472.0 and found they're around 96 HP with a max of 180.  This has me wondering whether it'd even be worth it to take Mortalbane since my character won't be able to contribute much to actual damage.  Weapon Focus or Point Blank shot for accuracy, maybe.  Definitely Ability Focus: Eldritch Blast though since saves are going to be a hassle when we start.
Since you seem to be putting this out there for other peoples 2cp:
Weapon Focus probably won't help much, since it's just a +5% chance against their touch AC. And you should be able to hit most things Touch AC pretty reliably I would think, you're already at +6 I think.
Point Blank has two issues: it isn't much of a boost either; it requires your squishier character to be closer to the action. You don't want to be in the same area as the fighter-types when a Gorgon uses it's breath weapon, do you?
(Note, as a DM I generally consider SoD's from my side of the screen to be unsporting, Gorgon was just an example)

Between the two, I'd go with WF though.

And I don't think Mortalbane is all that bad though. It'll average +7 damage per use, for 5 uses per day. In a battle for your life, it is best to not underestimate the importance of a couple of extra damage per turn. If the party were facing whatever it is that has 180HP at CR8 (too lazy to look up), then the battle would likely last 5+ rounds. A battle wherein you'd know from the outset that creature was a tough one. So you'd have used all your Bane uses ASAP in order to try to get that battle over with while suffering as little damage from the enemy as possible. And across 5 uses, you'd average an extra 35 damage. Which isn't bad in the long run. Though the main problem with that feat is knowing when to pace yourself, and when to go all out.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2012, 10:27:42 PM »
Considering I planned on having this guy be from one of the primordial giant lines that participated in the great war, refluffing looks promising.  Thanks.

On the accuracy front, I also have invisibility going for me on the first round which means the opponent will also be denied Dex usually and I can get +2 on top of that from being invisible against sighted enemies.  I guess you're right in that accuracy probably won't mean much, and PBS wasn't really on the table actually.  30 feet?  Not happening.  More like tossing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks, and it doesn't.

Looking at mortalbane again I suppose the damage is preferable.  As you said, against a gnarly enemy it'd definitely help.  Plus I know from experience with spreadsheets that at this level of damage 7 extra damage trumps the 1 accuracy boost for average damage overall, even if it's situational.  I have no idea what CR8 monster has 180 HP by the way, but if you decide to use it we'll have some interesting times.

Feats are done, now it's time for other equipment.

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2012, 12:19:00 AM »
Believe my character is mostly done aside from equipment and spells.

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2012, 12:33:33 AM »
Just for my own record:

Up to this point current status on being ready:
DM (AriasDerros - Me): Keep writing in the World Information thread. Will try to hurry it up after Thanksgiving.
SirPercival: Done except equipment.
McPoyo: About 2/3 done.
InnaBinder: Done. Been Done. Patience of a saint.
Shadowviper: Done except spells and equipment.
Jackinthegreen: Done except for equipment.
Quillwraith: No Post.

And of course: backgrounds all around (a lot for me to put into the World Info thread).
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2012, 11:08:35 AM »
Because I'm blind, how are we handling HP?