Author Topic: Opening Scene, Village of Shamhahn  (Read 16247 times)

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Scene, Village of Shamhahn
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 08:24:35 PM »
It's not surprising to see nothing magical, but it's still a bit of a disappointment. Dunewalker thought to himself.

"Let's be on our way.  We have what information we can get here."

Offline ShadowViper

• Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 04:59:52 PM »
The gray elf nodded "Aye, I agree. Let us visit this Mr. Arel. Best to learn as much as we can about the situation before continuing."
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

Offline Quillwraith

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 06:29:48 PM »
"Onward, then!" Joseph declares, striding off to the South.

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 09:35:23 AM »
As you head off towards the southern portions of the village, the dark-skinned man leaves off on his own, with as little explanation for his departure as introduction.

Moving out of the hall, into the square where people had gathered, you see, unsurprisingly, that the people have dispersed. Quite a few are still in the square, some of them look at you, still with a mixture of hope, fear, and awe. From the activities that the people are doing, you can tell that they are mostly just occupying themselves, not really knowing what else to do, as some are using brooms to sweep the street itself, and some just seam to be beating dirt, clay and water with sticks.

You make your way back upon the main avenue, towards the Badger Inn, not two buildings from it, you notice the house marked "ARELS'S" upon its fencing. Before you even get to the dark wooden door of the round stone hut, you hear loud "WHACK-THUNK" noses from the side of the house. Going around instead, you see a man (dark brown and sullied pants, no shirt, 6'8", skin stained dark, built well), with a large axe in hand, he chops another piece of wood, "WHACK-THUNK", and as he tosses the pieces into a pile behind him, one big enough to keep a kettle-fire lit for a year, he notices your group. He starts back, obviously surprised, and a little scared at first. when he realizes he's not under attack, he regains his composure. His face resets to being nearly dead, emotionally.

This mirrors his tone as he speaks. His words slow and deliberate: "Som-fing AH c'n 'elp ye with, sirs?"
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 11:21:53 AM »
Graalmas attempts to smile reassuringly, with rather disastrous results.  The tips of his eyelashes keep leaking wisps of acrid smoke.  "Tell us about... insects."
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 12:09:50 PM »
Still speaking slowly, and deliberately
"Insects... yah mean, wut happened in the westr'n fields."
He goes back to chopping wood as he talks. It seems as if every word is being dragged out.
"Aight, ye'll look... dif'rent enough... I take it yer here ta deal wit things?"
WHACK-THUNK. He doesn't look directly at you, not even for the question, but he goes on without waiting for an answer.
"S'like I said to others, the big brown thing, which looked like'a big arse'd beetle, was able ta smash people left'n right. One swing enough to knock out guys my size"
WHACK-THUNK
"Soon as the thing came out, Fevn started hollerin 'bout a buncha small ones too. Ah didn't see them at first, but the big brown one must control 'em, cause as soon as it looked at me, they were all ova me too. They were there one second, and all Ah could do was try ta fight em off, not that it did any good. Then they swarmed back into a glob of a flying swarm, Ah struck out wit mah ax..."
"WHACK-THUNK"
"and while ah did'n seem ta hurt the buncha small'uns, Ah hit the big one pretty good. Guess they'd swarmed back to it when Ah did'n notice. But then they came back toward me again."
"WHACK-THUNK"
"They got bigger, meaner, it seemed. If Ah let'em cover me again, Ah was done fer, the first time they kept me from doin nothing, didn't even hurt, really. But they woulda killed me like dey were then. I ran, and they kept chasin. So I kept runnin. When they finally stopped chasin', Ah knew it was too late fer anyone back there, so I jus' kept runnin till Ah was back here."
He has a piece of wood on the chopping block, and he'd had his ax poised again, but he stopped before he swung it.
He looks at each of you. He seems somber. Even more than before.
He closes his eyes, and breaths in deeply. He lets the breath out slowly.
"List'n. That's whut Ah told ev'ry'un else. There's... one thing, though. Ya need ta whatch out. The Small'uns, they don't just swarm an chase you, an they don't just mass back about the big'un either. They'll go about yer friends. They'll go about each other. An you won't notice who's beneth it all. You swing. Ahn ya don't know who you'll hurt."

"S'all I know, in any case. Does all that help ye?"

(click to show/hide)
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 05:35:45 PM »
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:13:58 AM by ariasderros »
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2013, 04:41:21 PM »
Without looking around at anyone else, Graalmas grunts.  "No.  But if this thing (whatever it is) can bleed... if it can burn, it can die."

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2013, 05:57:58 PM »
Dunewalker opened his pack and pulled out his Manual of Arcana so he could look through it for any useful tidbits regarding the beetle-like creature.  He also conversed with the other arcane-minded of the group.

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2013, 07:33:06 PM »
He listened to the Mr. Arel, arms crossed over his chest in a relaxed fashion. He took a few moments to ponder the information before speaking.

"I believe that the swarm may not of actually been there, but rather some form of enchantment. Making Mr Arel believe that they were there. As for the creature he describes, we may be dealing with an Umber Hulk. It's a large insect like creature with two big muscular arms, it is known for confusing it's prey."
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2013, 08:58:07 PM »
Weohstan nods in agreement.

Indeed, it sounds like someone has found a method for controlling an Umber Hulk, or several of them.  Their typical behavior isn't exemplified by that described.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

shugenja handbook; talk about it here

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2013, 03:00:51 AM »
"We should check out these 'ants' as well. It is best that we learn as much as we can about both problems, before selecting which one to solve first."

He said simply.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2013, 09:10:11 PM »
"Perhaps we should look at the 'ants,' yes.  If they turn out as different from ants as a beetle is from an Umber Hulk, we'd best know about that in advance."

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2013, 02:04:08 PM »
WHACK-THUNK, he resumes the chopping
"So, whut tha pointie-eared one's saying is, I ran from nothing, when I coulda helped out those who were dyin'.
Listen. You wanna know more about what's in the mines, you'd need to talk to tha guards that've been stayin' up thar since this all began. Mrs. Noal, and her family healed up some of tha miners who got burnt by tha acid of them ants, but I think that's all they'd be able ta tell ya about. Ineas, a two houses up the street from here, on my side, he was one of em that got burnt like so, but he said he didn't see much in the darkness when Ah talked to him. Tha guards though, they've seen em, from what I heard."

WHACK-THUNK
"It's not that far north'a here. If ya wanna talk to them."
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2013, 08:34:28 AM »
Graalmas growls.  "If we spend all our time dithering and interviewing, nothing will happen.  Let us be on with it."

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2013, 02:13:00 AM »
"If you would have stayed, you would have likely been killed. You are only human. Thank you for the information, it is appreciated" He said to Mr. Arel before turning to the party

"Something is happening however, we are learning about each species of problem creature so that we are better prepared to address each problem appropriately. It is time we head north to speak with the guards about these 'ants.' "

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2013, 04:40:14 PM »
"Let's get moving then.  Thank you again for the information."  Dunewalker nooded to the man then turned on his heel and walked up the street a couple houses.

Offline Quillwraith

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2013, 05:44:23 PM »
Joseph follows, attempting unsuccessfully to draw ahead of Dunewalker.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2013, 08:41:49 PM »
Graalmas prowls along behind, looking predatory.

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2013, 08:25:43 AM »
As you work your way north, the stone constructions of the buildings give way to rocky ground that even stubborn grasses won't grow in more than patches in. Quite quickly, though, the path to the north cuts into a crevice in the stone of the hills. By the time you have traveled a mile out of the village, you have gained about 100ft of elevation, and the rock faces on either side of you go about 50ft above you, though from the looks of it the climb would be quite easy, if you had to. The path itself is wide enough, though, at just under 25ft.

Before long, you start to come upon the external signs of where the miners had been staging their work products. Areas to tie up beasts of burden, basket saddles, even some of the more basic mining gear.

When you finally come up to the entrance to the mine itself, across from it, against the opposing wall you see two men. They are wearing simple chain armour, with solid metal caps, and in their hands are halberds. The bases of the weapons seem to be in dug-in divots, to make it easier to hold them slightly forward with how the men are seated on large rocks that seem to have been put there for them to sit on. The men are seated only barely, edged forward as if ready to pounce if anything does come out of the mine entrance. They seem very focused on watching the 30ft man-made hole in the western wall, too.

When one of them finally notices your approach, he turns to the other and seems to say some quick words, and the other man gets up and hurries off in the other direction from you, running north on the path. The one who spoke stands up from where he was sitting, but otherwise does not leave the immediate area. Even as you walk up, you can see that he keeps glancing over at the mines entrance.

As you close the distance to him, he speaks.
"Whell, Now. What do we h've here? Are you here to relieve us? .. And if so, in which way?"
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome