Author Topic: Mythical Maid class +Lunar Dial School  (Read 20630 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Mythical Maid class +Lunar Dial School
« on: January 03, 2016, 02:53:05 AM »
Mythical Maid

"A being all of us have heard about, but have never seen"-Zun, over deity.

A Mythical Maid is a dedicated servant to a noble mistress, ready to support in all kind of menial tasks. Like cleaning, cooking, stabbing stuff dead, and going on quests for their beloved mistress.

MAKING A Mythical Maid
Abilities:Mythical Maid abilities may favor Dexterity, and Intelligence is important for Lunar Dial maneuvers, but otherwise they're not really focused on any particular ability score.
Races: Humans, android and fairies are the most well known maids, although members of every race have tried this path at one point or another.
Alignment: Mythical Maids can be of any alignment
(click to show/hide)
Starting Gold: 4d4x10 (100gp)
Starting Age: Young

HD:d8
Level BAB Fort Ref Will Feature Maneuvers Known Maneuvers Readied Stances Known
1 +1 +0+2+0Maid Code, Maneveurs, Under Servant421
2 +2 +0+2+0 Elegant Maid521
3 +3 +1+3 +1Servant Specialization631
4 +4 +1 +4+1Servant Specialization741
5 +5 +1 +4 +1Servant Specialization852
6 +6 +2+5+2Senior Servant 952
7 +7 +2 +5 +2Perfect and Elegant Maid1062
8 +8 +2 +6 +2Perfect and Elegant Servant1172
9 +9  +3+6+3Perfect and Elegant Servant1282
10+10 +3+7+3Perfect and Elegant Servant1382
11+11 +3 +7+3 Upper Servant1493
12+12 +4 +8+4Maid of the Evening Storm15103
13+13 +4 +8 +4Maid of the Devil16113
14+14 +4 +9 +4Maid of the Devil17113
15+15 +5 +9 +5Maid of the Devil18124
16+16 +5 +10 +5Maid of the Lightning Speed19134
17+17 +5 +10+5Maid of the Scarlet Devil20145
18+18 +6+11+6Maid of the Scarlet Devil21145
19 +19 +6 +11 +6Maid of the Scarlet Devil22155
20+20 +6 +12 +6Chief Maid of the Scarlet Devil Mansion23165

6 Skill points+int per level, quadruple at 1st level. Class skills:
Appraise, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Disguise, Intimidate, Gather Information, Heal, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (any), Listen, Move Silently, Profession(any), Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Swim, Use Rope

Proficiencies:Simple weapons, Light Armor

Features:

Maid Code: A Mythical Maid must look like a Maid, walk like a Maid, talk like a Maid, or she loses all her class features for 24 hours. Male beings can be Mythical Maids, as long as they don't mind wearing skirts. The only exception is when the Mythical Maid needs to conceal her true identity, but even then she must wear maid clothes under her disguise.

A Mythical Maid must also pick another creature to be her Mistress/Master, and always adress her in terms of respect. However besides that she's free to do whatever she wants, and it's not uncommon for Mythical maids to disobey orders if they believe it's best for a naive mistress interests, if not outright confrocting them, or just lazing around.

Maneuvers: A Mythical Maid gains  learns maneuver from the Lunar Dial school and one other martial school of her choice. If the second school demands any special prerequisite (like Ancient Temple needing a feat) the Mythical Maid must fulfill it as well. Her Initiator level is equal to her Mythical Maid level plus half other levels, and she can only learn maneuvers of a level no bigger than half (IL+1).

The Mythical Maid can recharge half her expended maneuvers by performing the Aid Another action as a standard action (even if she had an ability that would speed it up), but the Aid Another bonus granted is increased by an amount equal to the number of maneuvers recovered. If the one she aids is her Mistress/Master, then the Mythical Maid recovers all her expended manuvers instead. If the Mythical Maid has no allies left to aid, she can Aid Another herself, and the bonus will apply on her next round.

At 4th level, and every even-numbered level afterwards, the Mythical Maid can replace one of her older maneuvers with a new one she qualifies for from one of her two schools (the new one doesn't need to be of the same level of the older one).

Under Servant: At 1st level pick one of the following options.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Elegant Maid: At 2nd level you gain your choice of Weapon Finesse, Dodge, Lighting Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Weapon Focus (simple and exotic weapons) or Two-Weapon Fighting. You can change your choice as a swift action. If you already had the feat you've currently picked, you gain the following benefit instead.

(click to show/hide)

Servant Specialization: At levels 3,4 and 5 pick one of the following options. None may be taken more than once unless otherwise specified.

(click to show/hide)

Senior Servant: At 6th level pick one of the following options.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Perfect and Elegant Maid: At 7th level the Mythical Maid gains another feat choice from Elegant Maid. Changing each one is a separate swift action. She can pick the same option twice, in case she gains a special extra bonus.

(click to show/hide)

Perfect and Elegant Servant:
At 8th, 9th  and 10th levels the Mythical Maid can upgrade one of her Specialized Servant options. In alternative pick another option from Specialized Servant.

(click to show/hide)

Upper Servant: At 11th level pick one of the following options.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Maid of the Evening Storm:
At 12th level level the Mythical Maid gains another feat choice from Elegant Maid. Changing each one is a separate swift action. She can pick the same option thrice, in case she gains a special extra bonus.
(click to show/hide)

Maid of the Devil: At 13th, 14th  and 15th  levels the Mythical Maid can upgrade one of her Perfect and Elegant Servant options. In alternative pick another option from Elegant Servant.

(click to show/hide)

Maid of the Lightning Speed: At 16th level the Mythical Maid gains another feat choice from Elegant Maid. Changing each one is a separate swift action. She can pick the same option four times, in case she gains a special extra bonus.
(click to show/hide)

Maid of the Scarlet Devil:
At 17th, 18th and 19th levels the Mythical Maid can upgrade one of her Maid of the Devil options. In alternative pick another option from Maid of the Devil options.

(click to show/hide)

Chief Maid of the Scarlet Devil Mansion: At 20th level the Mythical maid can organize a special private dinner that grants her Mistress (and any of her cohorts/companions/followers) and herself one of the following set of benefits. The Dinner takes 1d12 hours to prepare and be properly enjoyed and the benefits last until the next day's dinner time.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 12:17:37 AM by oslecamo »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Mythical Maid class +Lunar Dial School (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 03:05:54 AM »
Lunar Dial

”Your time is mine.
Well, it'd be nice if you had something else besides time, but...”-Sakuya, Lunar Dial mistress

Lunar Dial is a school based on “faster-than-the-eye-can-see” tricks. It almost looks like their users can manipulate time. Because they actually learn how to manipulate time.

Discipline Skill: Sleight of Hand
Discipline Weapons: dagger, short sword, quarterstaff, throwing knife (new weapon, see below)

(click to show/hide)

I feel like I'm just wasting my time here...

It's customary to clean up after oneself.
I have to retrieve my knives quickly...

Stopwatch: Lunar Dial maneuvers with this keyword can be ended at any time as a free action (even if it isn't yout turn) for a specific extra effect. The maneuver's original effects don't apply anymore. You can only use a Stopwatch effect once per round, regardless of how many you had active. If you Stopwatch a Stance, you still benefit from that Stance until the end of the turn, but if you enter a new Stance, you lose the benefits of the previous.

When you move by a Lunar Dial maneuver, you don't provoke attacks of opportunity. For other observers, it seems like you teleported, although actually you just moved instantly (or more acurately, stopped the clock and walked at your leisure while everything else was frozen in time).

When a Lunar Dial maneuver references knives, you may use either Daggers, Short Swords or Throwing Knifes, provided you're proficient with them. Short Swords can only be used for melee attacks.

Lunar Dial maneuvers that demand you to throw knifes demand 5 such equal weapons per maneuver level to use, and they must be all of the same quality, but they mysteriously return to your possession after the maneuver is completed (only after stopwatch expires or is used). If the knifes have any special offensive property, like being made of silver, that bonus also applies to the maneuver's damage, if any.

(click to show/hide)

Maneuver List

1st level
Time Sign "Silver Acute 360": Strike- Target is surrounded by knives.
Checkmaid : Strike– Loop of thrown knives.
Misdirection: Counter-Throw knive to distract target.
Sense of Thrown Edge : Boost- Longer range throwing with greater focus.
Smart Robber: Stance-Take everything that isn't nailed down.

2nd level
Cross-Up Magic : Counter-Shields of floating knives.
Time Sign "Private Vision": Strike–To fool other people's eyes you need to have a pretty good eye yourself.
Bounce/No-Bounce : Strike–Knives reflext out of nowhere to entangle and immobilize your enemies.
Illusion Image "Luna Clock": Boost-Distract your enemies.

3rd level
Sight of Distant Blade: Strike–Thrown knife replicates basic combat maneuver or mundane task at range.
Power Direction: Boost- Focus knives on an opponent.
Time Sign "Dual Vanish" : Counter- Erase ranged attacked, preventing it from being used again.
Silver Sign "Perfect Maid": Stance- Work better while attracting less attention.

4th level
Bewitched Weapon "Another Dimension of Silver" : Counter–
Square Ricochet : Strike–
Conjuring "Misdirection" : Strike–
Time Sign “Time Stopper”:Boost-

5th level
Propelling Silver: Strike-
Void "Inflation Square" : Counter-
Time Sign “Changeling Magic”: Boost-
Maid Secret Skill "Marionette" : Strike-

6th level
Speed Sign "Luminous Ricochet" : Counter-
Perfect Square: Stance–
Time Paradox : Boost–
Watch "Luna Dial": Strike-

7th level
Conjuring "Illusional Misdirection":Boost-
Magic Star Sword : Counter-
Time Sign "Tunnel Effect": Strike-

8th level
Vanishing Everything: Counter-
Time Sign "Private Square" : Stance-
Parallel Brane: Boost-
Silver Sign "Silver Bound" : Strike-

9th level
Conjuring “Eternal Meek”: Stance-
"Deflation World" : Strike–

Well, I feel fine, though?

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 03:02:14 AM by oslecamo »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 03:10:44 AM »
Dangerous Illusion

“A knife has no humane blood in its body, you know. I'm such a one.”-Sakuya, Dangerous Illusion betrayer

Normally Sleight of Hand is used to perform tricks that look more dangerous than they actually are, but Dangerous Illusion switches things around so that seemingly small moves and blades produce horrific wounds. It’s a school that demands not only a steady hand but a cold heart to cut others like one cuts food without any hint of hesitation. Peculiar even among Forbidden Schools, Dangerous Illusion was developed by the same maid who developed Luna Dial, and some records point towards also being developed before Luna Dial. Although considering the maid’s ability to manipulate time, maybe it’s pointless to talk about past and future when considering her works.

This is a Forbidden School.

It really ought to be spring by now...
Or maybe I'm just going crazy.

Parent School:-Lunar Dial. Dangerous Illusion corrupts elegance to splatter blood and guts all over the place.
Forbidden Sign: Your eyes become red for 1 round when you use a Dangerous Illusion maneuver or are under the effects of a Dangerous Illusion boost/stance. If your eyes were already red then they glow brightly under the same circumstances. If you had no eyes then red ones open up in your body under the same circumstances although they won’t allow you to see.
Forbidden Cost: You lose ranks in physical skills equal to your Forbidden Price as your body becomes more and more of a tool for cutting.

...how strange.
Do all of you want to be
exterminated, perhaps?

Maneuver List

1st level

Another Murder: Boost-
Jack the Ludo Bile: Strike-
Illusion Sign “Killer Doll”:Stance-

2nd level
Dancing Star Sword :Strike-
Illusion "My Knife's Recursions" : Counter-

3rd level
Jack the Ripper: Boost-
Serial Killer Doll:Strike-

4th level
Wound Sign "Inscribe Red Soul": Strike-
Illusion Phantom :Counter-

5th level
Illusion “Indiscriminate”:Boost-
Ambitious Jack:Strike-

6th level
Maid Secret Skill "Killer Doll":Strike-
Bewitched Sword 'Silver Blade'  :Boost-

7th level
Buriallusion "Phantomic Killer in Night Mist": Counter-
Time Sign "Mysterious Jack": Strike-

8th level
Jugglery "Close-Up Murdering Demon" : Boost-
Illusion Existence "Clock Corpse": Strike-

9th level
Illusion World "The World" :Stance-
Scarred Soul "Soul Sculpture" :Strike-

You are to serve us as food.
I'm not sure I'm qualified.
No dish has ever escaped my performance alive.
Hopefully I can make it through okay.
Dog meat, dog meat~
Human meat!

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:52:54 AM by oslecamo »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 03:16:01 AM »
And another reserved just in case. Still needs a lot of work for both class and school (and then forbidden school based on Sakuya's murderbloodfreshmeatJillthereaper side), but the basics are in place, in particular the Sotpwatch mechanic to represent time manipulation.

Offline CrazyYanmega

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 03:07:20 PM »
Why did this have to be released right after my maid had been statted out for me as a throwing knife based fighter?  :bigeyes

Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 11:09:34 PM »
Squee SAKUYA ARRIVES!!

*cough cough* Sorry about that, just been waiting for this since I stumbled into the Touhou section.

I cannot wait for this to be finished.
I want to be born. To live. That is all I want. -Aura

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 12:31:23 PM »
Comparing the Under Servant options, Cook and (possibly, I'm not really familiar with magic oils) Housemaid seem far more useful than the other two. Sure, you can satisfy a vampire with the kitchen stuff, but...

Elegant Maid seems like it's mostly going to be between Weapon Finesse and Improved Initiative.

Modern Maid's link is broken, but looking at it... it makes me a bit cautious, as those things are automatically better than normal weapons. By quite a margin, in some cases. Meanwhile, Maid Mooks... what happens if they die? What's the cost for replacing them?

Senior Servant-onwards has formatting errors that hide the new feat. Also damn you, I now want to play a character with a maid. :p

Luna Dial:

I'm surprised Elegant Maid doesn't offer an EWP option, since throwing knives are Exotic and otherwise they're restricted to simple weapons without spending feats.

Does Time Sign's 'place knives' require actual knives?

Sense of Thrown Edge looks like it's meant to be a boost. At level 1, it also seems more like 'roll to hit twice, add bonus damage'.

Smart Robber's only saving grace seems to be that it doesn't cost anything extra to do; its actual effects don't seem hugely useful. Taking advantage of the stopwatch effect requires a DC20 check and a successful opposed spot roll, and it happening all in one round. For ~-2/+2.

From Cross-Up Maid and Misdirection, I'm getting the feel the counters are going to be all about stabbing people. Misdirection's activation seems overly broad, though: if the opponent does literally anything involving a d20 roll, attack them?

Boosts in general seem like they're going to provide two effects regardless; especially in the second example, the stopwatch effect is a no-brainer to use.

Very much death-of-a-thousand cuts in here. Particularly because in thrown maneuvers, only 1/5 of the attacks even roll to hit (also, is it 5 daggers per maneuver or five per thrown attack?).

Seems like something will need to be provided to give some manner of coping with DR.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 04:11:10 AM »
Comparing the Under Servant options, Cook and (possibly, I'm not really familiar with magic oils) Housemaid seem far more useful than the other two. Sure, you can satisfy a vampire with the kitchen stuff, but...
Kitchen maid now gets combat bonus against Animals, Humanoids and Plants (food!), Sculery gets bonus against Aberrations, Constructs and Oozes (clean out the dirty!).

Elegant Maid seems like it's mostly going to be between Weapon Finesse and Improved Initiative.
Buffed the other options. Mostly bigger numbers, but Two-weapon fighting basically allows you to turn a single-stab maneuver into a dual target one.

Modern Maid's link is broken, but looking at it... it makes me a bit cautious, as those things are automatically better than normal weapons. By quite a margin, in some cases. Meanwhile, Maid Mooks... what happens if they die? What's the cost for replacing them?
Well, the idea is precisely for them to be better than normal weapons. Fixed link, halved arsenal space.
Added rules to replace lost mook maids.

Also gotta remember to make a feat to allow Arsenal guns to work with Luna Dial maneuvers.

Senior Servant-onwards has formatting errors that hide the new feat.
Cleaned up a bit.

Also damn you, I now want to play a character with a maid. :p
Excellent. :D

Luna Dial:

I'm surprised Elegant Maid doesn't offer an EWP option, since throwing knives are Exotic and otherwise they're restricted to simple weapons without spending feats.
Metal Maid can get you the EWP.

Does Time Sign's 'place knives' require actual knives?
Yes.

Sense of Thrown Edge looks like it's meant to be a boost. At level 1, it also seems more like 'roll to hit twice, add bonus damage'.
Fixed. Also you could have rapid shot at 1st level if you were an human.

Smart Robber's only saving grace seems to be that it doesn't cost anything extra to do; its actual effects don't seem hugely useful. Taking advantage of the stopwatch effect requires a DC20 check and a successful opposed spot roll, and it happening all in one round. For ~-2/+2.
Reduced check DC, increased the bonus to full Int mod.

From Cross-Up Maid and Misdirection, I'm getting the feel the counters are going to be all about stabbing people.
Part of the challenge of making this school is indeed figuring out new and different ways of stabbing people. :P

Misdirection's activation seems overly broad, though: if the opponent does literally anything involving a d20 roll, attack them?
Yes.

Boosts in general seem like they're going to provide two effects regardless; especially in the second example, the stopwatch effect is a no-brainer to use.

Very much death-of-a-thousand cuts in here. Particularly because in thrown maneuvers, only 1/5 of the attacks even roll to hit (also, is it 5 daggers per maneuver or five per thrown attack?).
Five per maneuver level.

Seems like something will need to be provided to give some manner of coping with DR.
You'll either need to dip into another school or carry around different sets of knives for each type of DR. It's kinda intentional to make this school vulnerable to DR since Sakuya did struggle greatly against Tenshi's stoneskin (note to self: include a Meiling vs Tenshi battle in my ff. Ground youkai vs ground youkai go!)

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 08:01:58 AM »
Or if playing 3.P pick up the Clustered Shots feat -_-'

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 10:24:54 AM »
There's vulnerable to DR and there's the setup for 'utterly crippled by it'. The current cost to use a second level maneuver against DR/magic:  10,150 GP (or is it 13,150? I can't remember if you add the MW cost too). Silver? Still 1,000.

And most of the maneuvers aren't going to be much use against a skeleton, unless you happen to be using the quarterstaff, melee, and have enough strength to make that work.

It's something to look out for as things go on, since the cost of using any of the maneuvers isn't going to be insignificant, and the base damage is 1d6. Even DR 5 is capable of near-nullifying the entire school. And it's one of those things that doesn't lend itself to having a different fighting style entirely because you need a fuckton of knives.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 01:06:55 AM »
But Rainy, that is literally the drawback for any build that specializes in ranged or thrown weapons of any kind, and there are already plenty of ways to fix that in the system that isn't "buy a massive amount of ammo of every material type/magic level".

In the very first few levels, you never have to worry about running into problems with DR beyond very specific cases and by the mid to later levels were, IF, it becomes more prevalent, you could/should/would have some way of dealing with it already through options available in the system/without redunant homebrew patches.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 09:03:50 AM »
But Rainy, that is literally the drawback for any build that specializes in ranged or thrown weapons of any kind, and there are already plenty of ways to fix that in the system that isn't "buy a massive amount of ammo of every material type/magic level".

In the very first few levels, you never have to worry about running into problems with DR beyond very specific cases and by the mid to later levels were, IF, it becomes more prevalent, you could/should/would have some way of dealing with it already through options available in the system/without redunant homebrew patches.

There are ways to deal with needing 25 weapons that have to be identical and bought one by one as they don't count as ammo at level 9? :huh

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 09:30:32 AM »
Yes, it's called having 50 gold at level 1. For throwing knives.

And that's hardly a complaint for a martial school that is letting you throw tons of knives per maneuver before you even get a second attack from BAB. Mind you, still a complaint, but again, 50 gold.

You're asking for a fix to thrown weapons here rather than a fix to Lunar Dial -_-'
If people want to play a thrown weapon build, they usually find a way to deal with all this quite well once they're invested.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 09:42:42 AM by ketaro »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 10:35:55 AM »
Yes, it's called having 50 gold at level 1. For throwing knives.

And that's hardly a complaint for a martial school that is letting you throw tons of knives per maneuver before you even get a second attack from BAB. Mind you, still a complaint, but again, 50 gold.

You're asking for a fix to thrown weapons here rather than a fix to Lunar Dial -_-'
If people want to play a thrown weapon build, they usually find a way to deal with all this quite well once they're invested.

The part I'm pointing out is just that you need Maneuver Level x5 knives for a maneuver, and the options the maneuvers have aren't ammunition. ie., full price for every weapon (weird that that applies to darts, too). Which is at least something to remember, because even making 20 attacks isn't going to help if they all deal no damage and the solution is some non-obvious path of splat diving.

The obvious choice is to be a Shrine Maiden for the fancy sleeves, though. :p

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 12:05:30 PM »
Non-obvious paths of splat-diving is literally the only way to win at this game  :lmao

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 12:10:38 PM »
Non-obvious paths of splat-diving is literally the only way to win at this game  :lmao

And isn't the whole good point about ToB that if you just grab it and go, however lazy, you're likely to contribute? :P

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 12:31:09 PM »
That's really only in regards to maneuvers themselves. You're still pulling from sources all over the place, overall, in general.

Offline CrazyYanmega

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 02:34:56 PM »
Hey Os, you still working on this?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2016, 03:15:35 AM »
Yes, just that the last month and half been awfull busy in RL and then campaigns and suddenly had to reply to huge reviews of Love-Colored Magic and Drunken Demon and needed to update my other projects.

But I do intend to finish this. Let's see if this weekend I can get some time to get a full first version of class and school.

For now added 4th level maneuvers. Also had the idea that the basic school feat would allow you to convert one two-handed metal weapon into a set of X daggers with the same properties, but those daggers are only useful when wielded by you while on a Luna Dial stance. Plus something else minor I guess.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2016, 08:00:28 AM »
Base maneuvers from level 1 to 9 done bit by bit over last week. Next class, then feats.