Author Topic: Nintendo World Game? [D&D 3.5]  (Read 74888 times)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: Nintendo World Game? [D&D 3.5]
« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2012, 03:25:56 PM »
Here's a build for my Hyrulian Yoshi.  I assumed no flaws, normal WBL, 32pb, 6th level.  Easily altered if any of these change.

Well, may as well stablish character creation guidelines:
-32pb.
-Standard WBL.
-Up to two flaws and one trait, those must be from the srd only.
-6th level
(seems to be the most popular option so far and is generally a good starting level)

And how the heck hasn't Chrono Trigger been brought up yet?
Chrono Trigger  belong to the self-selling honorless bastards Square Enix, that's not really a part of Nintendo.

There's also Zelda, Bowser's Magikoopas, Peach/Mallow/Geno from SMRPG, and a fairly large contingent of Fire Emblem (if that's still in).
To that I would add faeries themselves that are usually on the good guy's side. Dryad/Nymph could work well as suport divine casters. And Fire Emblem is totally in, they have a good deal of spellcasters.  Zelda also has witches brewing healing potions and stuff like Malon Milk.

Or somebody is a crusader with good old "I heal you by hiting this random rock that I hate!" :p
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:29:21 PM by oslecamo »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2012, 04:11:16 PM »
I edited my build, I screwed up some stuff.  Still working on feats.

Some questions:
1) IUS is useless for me, but I'd love Improved Grapple for the +4.  Can I qualify by having a natural weapon with Improved Grab?
2) Battle Jump.
  • Can that be triggered by a simple Jump check?
  • If I jump and make a bite attack w/ improved grab, do I count as +1 size for the grapple check, or do I have to specifically attempt to grapple and not attack?
  • If I can jump and improved grab at +1 size, how does that interact with swallow whole?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2012, 04:41:40 PM »
SDK, I am ashamed to say I didn't know about those.  :blush I only actually played the original game maybe two years ago for the sake of checking out an old school game; now I've got some new targets!

ariasderros, get console. Acquire Ocarina of Time. I am not joking when I say it's within the top 5 or 10 best games of all time, and though I haven't gotten the last two zelda games (TP and SS), I'm guessing/hearing it's still the best zelda ever.
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2012, 04:53:03 PM »

Some questions:
1) IUS is useless for me, but I'd love Improved Grapple for the +4.  Can I qualify by having a natural weapon with Improved Grab?
No. I'm already allowing flaws for you to geting prerequisites more easily. Plus if you ever find yourself unarmed, you can combine it with your bite attack.

2) Battle Jump.
  • If I jump and make a bite attack w/ improved grab, do I count as +1 size for the grapple check, or do I have to specifically attempt to grapple and not attack?
  • If I can jump and improved grab at +1 size, how does that interact with swallow whole?
-If you can both jump high enough and far enough yes. For example, to hit a regular medium creature, your jump would need to reach at least 10 feet high before falling in your enemy. However f*** what the text says, I'm errata-ing so you need to spend a standard action at the end of the jump to do the actual double-damage attack. And you can't combine it with strike maneuvers.
-You need to start a grapple.
-It doesn't, since battle jump only affects the first grapple check after the jump, and swallow whole can only be used after you spent at least one atempt grabbing the oponent.

SDK, I am ashamed to say I didn't know about those.  :blush I only actually played the original game maybe two years ago for the sake of checking out an old school game; now I've got some new targets!
I stoped playing around Saphire/Ruby (1st generation) since then they started lauching the redos of the first games, but I'm now somewhat tempted of geting Black/White, if only money wasn't so tight. :(

ariasderros, get console. Acquire Ocarina of Time. I am not joking when I say it's within the top 5 or 10 best games of all time, and though I haven't gotten the last two zelda games (TP and SS), I'm guessing/hearing it's still the best zelda ever.
DO IT! NAW! I played the N64 version, then the special edition for Gamecube and it deserves all the hype!

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2012, 04:59:05 PM »

Some questions:
No. I'm already allowing flaws for you to geting prerequisites more easily. Plus if you ever find yourself unarmed, you can combine it with your bite attack.

2) Battle Jump.
-If you can both jump high enough and far enough yes. For example, to hit a regular medium creature, your jump would need to reach at least 10 feet high before falling in your enemy. However f*** what the text says, I'm errata-ing so you need to spend a standard action at the end of the jump to do the actual double-damage attack. And you can't combine it with strike maneuvers.
-You need to start a grapple.
-It doesn't, since battle jump only affects the first grapple check after the jump, and swallow whole can only be used after you spent at least one atempt grabbing the oponent.

Check, check, and check.  I may skip BJump, then... it's more useful to do PA and Leap Attack, I think.

EDIT: I'm out of practice making martial characters... blech.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 08, 2012, 05:21:14 PM »

Some questions:
Just think of how much less annoying those unarmed sections of the LoZ games would be if, instead of surrendering when spotted without his sword, Link would just punch something in the face.

DO IT! NAW! I played the N64 version, then the special edition for Gamecube and it deserves all the hype!

OoT is definitely better than TP (at least the Gamecube version of TP), although TP was pretty good so it's reasonably close (plus, I can't tell how much of the difference is just the nostalgia factor). OoT definitely has the BEST final boss of all the Zelda games I've played, hands down, no contest. Wind Waker is a wash (no pun intended), because while the actual gameplay was pretty good (when the game let you get to it), the tediously long sailing sections between everything make it slow as molasses. Majora's Mask probably doesn't get enough attention, though. It's shorter than the others and the pacing is just a little bit off, but damn if it isn't dripping with atmosphere (especially on the final night). Probably about as good as TP (+/- by taste).

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2012, 06:09:27 PM »
OoT is definitely better than TP (at least the Gamecube version of TP), although TP was pretty good so it's reasonably close (plus, I can't tell how much of the difference is just the nostalgia factor). OoT definitely has the BEST final boss of all the Zelda games I've played, hands down, no contest. Wind Waker is a wash (no pun intended), because while the actual gameplay was pretty good (when the game let you get to it), the tediously long sailing sections between everything make it slow as molasses. Majora's Mask probably doesn't get enough attention, though. It's shorter than the others and the pacing is just a little bit off, but damn if it isn't dripping with atmosphere (especially on the final night). Probably about as good as TP (+/- by taste).

I loved MM as well, but I must disagree it's too short. The real objective of the game isn't just beating the final boss, is geting all the masks and thus fixing all the problems Majora created. That game has an exceptional amount and depth of sidequests for a Zelda game, and it's  really rewarding to look at the final credits and see all the people you helped go on to a New Day. If you stop the Moon only for all those people to remain cursed, you really didn't win did you?

(click to show/hide)

Plus heck, even if it was "just" 4 temples, they were some really badass temples, rivaling even those of OoT if you ask me. The final "dungeon" in particular is something that shall forever be engraved in my mind.

Wind Waker... Yeah. Stupid giant parts of sailing trough completely empty waters. A true case where realism and verssimilitude should've been thrown out of a cliff for fun's sake.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:11:41 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 08, 2012, 09:09:44 PM »
oslecamo

How many pokemon do I start out with at 6th level?

How do I do their hit points, especially when I level them up?

Are you okay with how much the different levels of pokeballs cost?  They seem a little pricey to me but that's up to you.

What are we going to do about pokemaster feat support?  Shall I dredge up feats from other pokemon d20 projects?

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 09, 2012, 04:28:33 AM »
How many pokemon do I start out with at 6th level?
Half the max amount you can control, rounded up.

How do I do their hit points, especially when I level them up?
Average or roll, your choice. But can't be changed once done.

Are you okay with how much the different levels of pokeballs cost?  They seem a little pricey to me but that's up to you.
They're not pricey. The first pokebal can potentialy capture anything as long as you beat them down enough. The advanced pokebals simply make your job much easier by dealing large amounts of nonlethal damage, and thus deserve much higher costs.

Also notice that, unlike in the video game, the ball isn't wasted if it fails to catch the target.

What are we going to do about pokemaster feat support?  Shall I dredge up feats from other pokemon d20 projects?
Thing is, the idea behind the pokemaster you linked seems to be for you to fight besides your pokemon (just look at their weapon proficiency). And then the whole class is based on the fact that you're controling minions 1 level lower than you (or two, two levels lower than you). And you can also customize the pokemon's own feats with Train Pokemon. If I start allowing feats that boost your pokemon's combat, then the math will go awry pretty quickly, and the last thing I want is a player with multiple minions that are each as strong as any party member.

Any feats you dredge up would have to be stuff that at best grants you some extra versatility whitout any significant power increase to your pokemon.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 04:50:12 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 09, 2012, 04:35:33 AM »
So...... where in D&D are stats for gorillas? Cause that's really the first step to being a Kong. I mean, there's gorillafolk homebrew, if it makes anything easier, but surprisingly less gorilla material than I'd expected. Which MM are they in?

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 09, 2012, 04:47:39 AM »
So...... where in D&D are stats for gorillas? Cause that's really the first step to being a Kong. I mean, there's gorillafolk homebrew, if it makes anything easier, but surprisingly less gorilla material than I'd expected. Which MM are they in?

Now that you mention it, there seems indeed to be no official gorilla stats in D&D at all!

Stormwrack does have the Hadozee, an obscure basic race that does like quite a gorilla, except they have some flaps under their arms that allow them to glide. But heh, kongs always were pretty good at jumping large distances, and in SSB he always had that spinning arms attack, so it may fit better than expected. Not much on racial traits, but no pesky RHD or LA either.

Alternatively, antropormophic animal class?

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 09, 2012, 05:23:46 AM »

Now that you mention it, there seems indeed to be no official gorilla stats in D&D at all!

This would be closest: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ape.htm
As an Anthropomorphic, Dire Ape would be better statwise.
Hmm.

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 09, 2012, 06:07:09 AM »
Alternatively, antropormophic animal class?
That's perfect!

This would be closest: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ape.htm
As an Anthropomorphic, Dire Ape would be better statwise.
Hmmmmm......... hey, if an AA took the rage-like ability, could he (eventually) qualify for a reflavored Bear Warrior class? Say, maybe Ape-Warrior? :D That'd be farther in the future, but I think I might have found the difference between a Kong and a Donkey Kong...

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 09, 2012, 06:14:38 AM »
Hmmmmm......... hey, if an AA took the rage-like ability, could he (eventually) qualify for a reflavored Bear Warrior class? Say, maybe Ape-Warrior? :D That'd be farther in the future, but I think I might have found the difference between a Kong and a Donkey Kong...
So, an ape, ape-warrior? :P

Sure!

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 09, 2012, 08:58:59 AM »
I'm having trouble with my build, because the two parts (yoshi & hylian warrior) are just not at all synergistic.  I can't decide if I'm building a Yoshi grappler or a Hylian warrior.  So, I'm thinking of making a Hylian Warrior and taking Leadership to get a Yoshi grapplemancer.  Is that ok?  That way I can play both things I want to play, and actually make them both effective.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 09, 2012, 10:25:46 AM »
I'm having trouble with my build, because the two parts (yoshi & hylian warrior) are just not at all synergistic.  I can't decide if I'm building a Yoshi grappler or a Hylian warrior.  So, I'm thinking of making a Hylian Warrior and taking Leadership to get a Yoshi grapplemancer.  Is that ok?  That way I can play both things I want to play, and actually make them both effective.

Cohorts get just Elite stat array and NPC wbl. Also fairy companion counts as a penaly for your leadership score, so you may want to consider playing a Yoshi grapplemancer with a Hylian cohort instead of the other way around.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 09, 2012, 10:36:19 AM »
Yes, that's probably the way to go.  I can make a grapplemancer Sorc with high Cha, so that'll work fine.  I'll work out new builds and post them shortly.

EDIT: Sigh... sorry about all the waffling, Osle.  I always have way too many char concepts for any given game, and I need to come to terms with the fact that I don't get to play everything.  I think I'm just going to run with a Hylian Warrior and save the grappler as a backup.

Considering a couple edits on the HW, so I'd love a little more feedback.

Also, how do you feel about item familiars & weapons of legacy?  Master Sword, is all I'm sayin'.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 11:15:14 AM by sirpercival »

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #157 on: March 09, 2012, 12:02:42 PM »
Is it too late in the planning and character design stage to post interest?
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 09, 2012, 01:03:16 PM »
I think I'm going to set aside some time tomorrow + next week to read up on the homebrewing here, then try a shot at making a Kirby. I'm going to be aiming at high T3 ~ low T2.

@ all of the "Play this!" stuff.  :lmao.
(click to show/hide)
I understand what you're saying. It's just not even remotely possible right now.
Unless ya'll have some suggestion as to how to get a 64 / cube and a copy of the game, it's not happening. And even then, if I did start it, it would take a month or so just to finish it.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 09, 2012, 02:54:44 PM »
EDIT: Sigh... sorry about all the waffling, Osle.  I always have way too many char concepts for any given game, and I need to come to terms with the fact that I don't get to play everything.  I think I'm just going to run with a Hylian Warrior and save the grappler as a backup.
Wise decision.

Considering a couple edits on the HW, so I'd love a little more feedback.

Also, how do you feel about item familiars & weapons of legacy?  Master Sword, is all I'm sayin'.
Unless you were playing some really weak class, Item Familiar is simply no.

Weapon of Legacy is a maybe, as long as you don't cheese out too much on the prerequisites.

Also there'll always be The Master Sword somewhere in Hyrule that belonged to the original Hero and is said to resurface from time to time to ones who prove worthy of it, altough other super-swords are not unheard off due to the relatively high amount of great swordsmen that have lived and fighted across the centurie in that world.

Is it too late in the planning and character design stage to post interest?
You're still perfectly in time, we only really started discussing characters a couple of days ago.

I think I'm going to set aside some time tomorrow + next week to read up on the homebrewing here, then try a shot at making a Kirby. I'm going to be aiming at high T3 ~ low T2.

@ all of the "Play this!" stuff.  :lmao.
(click to show/hide)
I understand what you're saying. It's just not even remotely possible right now.
Unless ya'll have some suggestion as to how to get a 64 / cube and a copy of the game, it's not happening. And even then, if I did start it, it would take a month or so just to finish it.
Ah, nevermind that, it was just our inner fanboy speaking. I myself have been quite busy with studies and other RL stuff, and still didn't get to play Skyward Sword, at best will be able to do it during summer vacation.