Author Topic: Poke-Center (OOC Discussion)  (Read 214876 times)

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
Re: Pre-Campaign Discussion
« Reply #540 on: November 08, 2012, 07:10:58 PM »

Well, yes, and if I tried to explain what I had stated to Kurt, he wouldn't even understand most of the words, much less the thesis.
Kurt is genuinely clueless, which is zen simplicity.

Also, Nat 1's only affect attacks and saves, so you still get to apply whatever your modifiers are to that search.

That really all depends on the DM. Some DMs let players Nat 20 on skill checks as well, which means a Nat 1 on skills is just as possible. Technically you could still apply your Save Bonus or Attack Bonus on a Nat 1, but it's still a Nat 1 :)
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #541 on: November 08, 2012, 07:53:32 PM »
That's one of the most absurd rulings I've ever heard. No, you do not reach full knowledge on an area just because you rolled a natural 20, and no the king doesn't sell you the kingdom for a copper just because you rolled a nat 20 on the bluff/diplomacy/intimidate check.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: November 09, 2012, 10:11:14 AM »
That really all depends on the DM. Some DMs let players Nat 20 on skill checks as well, which means a Nat 1 on skills is just as possible. Technically you could still apply your Save Bonus or Attack Bonus on a Nat 1, but it's still a Nat 1 :)

"Some DM's" and "No Sane DM" are not valid arguments.
Some DM's play with critical fumbles. I call those DM's "someone else's".

The only skill that rule could reasonably make sense for is UMD.

Though having it apply to your sensory skills could be hilarious. 1/20 turns, you can't even Spot your nose. 1/20 turns, you can see the intelligent life forms on another planet 20 trillion light years away.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #543 on: November 09, 2012, 11:20:04 AM »
That's one of the most absurd rulings I've ever heard. No, you do not reach full knowledge on an area just because you rolled a natural 20, and no the king doesn't sell you the kingdom for a copper just because you rolled a nat 20 on the bluff/diplomacy/intimidate check.

I actually find the results of critical successes and fumbles amusing, as do my players. That's why I use them in the games I run. Sorry, but people sit at my table to be amused, to come together for a good time, and have fun. No one plays at my table to win.

"Some DM's" and "No Sane DM" are not valid arguments.
Some DM's play with critical fumbles. I call those DM's "someone else's".

The only skill that rule could reasonably make sense for is UMD.

Though having it apply to your sensory skills could be hilarious. 1/20 turns, you can't even Spot your nose. 1/20 turns, you can see the intelligent life forms on another planet 20 trillion light years away.

Then it's a good thing you don't sit at my table then, I imagine.
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: November 09, 2012, 04:59:54 PM »
Some of the games I played went with with the nat 1 and 20 for skill checks. Because sometimes you just f*k up no matter how good you are (even though it should happen a -lot- less than 1/20 of the time). However, we had nat 1 and nat 20 give a +/- 10 bonus to the roll instead of instant success or instant failure, in an attempt to have it make a bit more sense.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #545 on: November 09, 2012, 05:03:41 PM »
Some of the games I played went with with the nat 1 and 20 for skill checks. Because sometimes you just f*k up no matter how good you are (even though it should happen a -lot- less than 1/20 of the time). However, we had nat 1 and nat 20 give a +/- 10 bonus to the roll instead of instant success or instant failure, in an attempt to have it make a bit more sense.

In my experience, and the experiences of others, the law of averages has no place at the table apparently, since those nat 20's pop up much rarer then 1:20, and those nat 1's seem to enjoy popping up all the time.

Anomander, your ruling here is something I actually do like. At my table, you can really only enjoy the fruits that a Nat 20 offer if you are making a check in a skill you're trained in. I mean, after all, if you're some expert in a skill, and some 9 year old kid rolls a nat 20 on an untrained skill check, well... as adorable as the precocious genius may be, the party may be excused if they drag the kid out back and stab him in the head off for "Knowing Too Much".

I may adopt the + / - 10 at my table and see how it runs.
Link to my homebrews

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: November 10, 2012, 02:30:11 PM »
Cough spot/listen checks from Rabbit cough.

I actually find the results of critical successes and fumbles amusing, as do my players. That's why I use them in the games I run. Sorry, but people sit at my table to be amused, to come together for a good time, and have fun. No one plays at my table to win.

Depends on your definition of "fun". Altough I've met some other people who would've indeed found that amusing, but most others do prefer a somewhat more serious game tone.

Plus they like stuff like stealthing and/or bluffing around, that becomes outright impossible with critical skills (more than 20 guys in the room? Good luck skilling your way out of it considering at least one of them will roll a natural 20 on the opposed check).

Unless you apply the -10/+10 fix, which also prevents the kingdom for a copper scenario and stuff. But even then it screws up the odds too much to my tastes, in particular when a good amount of my homebrew is using skill checks for a lot of stuff, and I'm sure you wouldn't think it very "fun" to be TPKd because suddenly the damage output of your enemy automatically doubled because of a nat 20.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 10, 2012, 03:06:21 PM »

Then it's a good thing you don't sit at my table then, I imagine.

Yeah, fumbles take away from the fun for me, because it penalizes skill.
And no, I will never knowingly sit at a DM's table who uses that variant. It is amusing at first, but it just gets annoying after a while, and it is perturbing when it is happening during the epic boss battle multiple times.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #548 on: November 12, 2012, 08:40:44 PM »
For the record, Min Max rollers are garbage. *grumble grumble*

And since none of the other rollers are accessible from work due to the firewall, no, hearing how awesome the others are won't help :)
Link to my homebrews

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: November 15, 2012, 02:07:04 AM »
I'll be posting in the afternoon of tomorrow; need sleep or will die. Just letting y'all know I'm here and aware.
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #550 on: November 17, 2012, 11:58:51 AM »
I seem to be missing on the latest map.
Link to my homebrews

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 17, 2012, 02:25:17 PM »
I seem to be missing on the latest map.

In the legend, it mentions that you're under Pha.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #552 on: November 17, 2012, 02:26:15 PM »
Ahhh, missed that part. Sorry.

Also, sorry I've been rather quiet as of late. Work has me kinda super busy picking up the slack. Lemme catch up.
Link to my homebrews

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: November 19, 2012, 12:13:13 PM »
I just want to say: it took me more than 5 minutes to come to the conclusion that SirP meant Invisible Castle. I couldn't figure out why being In Character wouldn't like him.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #554 on: November 19, 2012, 12:14:13 PM »
I just want to say: it took me more than 5 minutes to come to the conclusion that SirP meant Invisible Castle. I couldn't figure out why being In Character wouldn't like him.

Cause the monsters can only deal damage to him while he's In Character. :)
Link to my homebrews

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: November 20, 2012, 07:00:28 PM »
Nanshork and  Flay Crimsonwind:

Kong wants to take a step down. Jeremy wants to take a step left. This means you're both trying to step on the same square, when there's not enough space for both of you. Please one of you pick another movement option. It will be important to determine who the stalfos will attack.

Also, if that's relevant the two skeletons that had been damaged by Kurt were finished off by kong's bomb, the other one was damaged but is still standing.

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 21, 2012, 06:22:58 PM »
Well I wont fly over him, and I'm getting hit with an AOO either way, so let's say I move to AX-18 and provoke an aoo from something that isn't massive...

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 21, 2012, 06:30:49 PM »
Thank you Flay.   :)

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 22, 2012, 02:45:15 PM »
Not at all! What're tanks for? :D

Also, Happy Thanksgiving to my American's out there.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 24, 2012, 03:21:09 PM »
Are Jeremy's berries expired?