Author Topic: The Enabler  (Read 25956 times)

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
  • My personal text is impersonal.
    • View Profile
Re: The Enabler
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2012, 08:50:54 PM »
@Halinn: Yeah, I know that Pun-Pun's not level infinity, hence my remarks of "she does not need to be level infinity, oh wait, yeah she does, dang".  Also: why would that not work?  Is there a rule that sufficiently high CRs do not grant xp?  I shall check the DMG now.

*checks*

It appears to be extremely open ended.  In fact, I'd say that since this is the YBIYBI forum?  infinite xp is a go.  The DMG leaves it up to the DM as to applying an appropriate xp reward for the encounter, going so far as to say all xp is explicitly DM fiat and that the chart is a general guideline.  Of course, this is up to debate since, again, all xp is up to the DM, not a hard rule.
Page 38: "The table doesn't support awards for encounters eight or more Challenge Ratings higher than the character's level. If the party is taking on challenges that far above their level, something strange is going on, and the DM needs to think carefully about the awards rather than just taking them off a table. See Assigning Ad Hoc XP Awards, page 39."
Under the Assigning Ad Hoc XP Awards section: "An encounter so easy that it uses up none or almost none of the PCs' resources shouldn't result in any XP award at all" Using one spell slot out of infinite, using one standard action out of nigh infinite per turn seems to fit within "almost none".

Perhaps making a Belt of Strength +infinity item and giving that away would do the trick.

Offline Elevevated Beat

• My DJ scratches like he's wearing itchy wool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2012, 08:55:10 PM »
Yes it does. The first time Pun-Pun emerges, he immediately makes an infinite Knowledge check, granting him effective omniscience. He then knows exactly where and when each other Pun-Pun will emerge, and can get there beforehand and kill it with infinite actions.

Once one Pun-Pun has ascended, it is impossible for another to ascend. The first will not let it happen.

I meant that the whole Pun-Pun concept may not be the only way to infinite everything. Not that there were several Pun-Pun's running around.

This is all assuming the infinite exp problem is solved.
Do you know how long someone who is as sarcastic as I am would last in prison? Suuuuuuch a long time.

Bhu: Favorite quote of the day: “I’ll make love to you like a confused bear. Awkwardly. And in a manner that suggests I’m trying to escape.”

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2012, 09:00:27 PM »
@Halinn: Yeah, I know that Pun-Pun's not level infinity, hence my remarks of "she does not need to be level infinity, oh wait, yeah she does, dang".  Also: why would that not work?  Is there a rule that sufficiently high CRs do not grant xp?  I shall check the DMG now.

*checks*

It appears to be extremely open ended.  In fact, I'd say that since this is the YBIYBI forum?  infinite xp is a go.  The DMG leaves it up to the DM as to applying an appropriate xp reward for the encounter, going so far as to say all xp is explicitly DM fiat and that the chart is a general guideline.  Of course, this is up to debate since, again, all xp is up to the DM, not a hard rule.
Page 38: "The table doesn't support awards for encounters eight or more Challenge Ratings higher than the character's level. If the party is taking on challenges that far above their level, something strange is going on, and the DM needs to think carefully about the awards rather than just taking them off a table. See Assigning Ad Hoc XP Awards, page 39."
Under the Assigning Ad Hoc XP Awards section: "An encounter so easy that it uses up none or almost none of the PCs' resources shouldn't result in any XP award at all" Using one spell slot out of infinite, using one standard action out of nigh infinite per turn seems to fit within "almost none".

Perhaps making a Belt of Strength +infinity item and giving that away would do the trick.
That won't work either. You can only gain enough experience at once to go up 1 level and stop 1 XP short of the next level.
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2012, 02:10:06 PM »
That won't work either. You can only gain enough experience at once to go up 1 level and stop 1 XP short of the next level.
Could you get me a rules quote on that? I looked at the reward section in the DMG but couldn't find anything there (though I might have overlooked something).

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2012, 02:41:07 PM »
Could you get me a rules quote on that? I looked at the reward section in the DMG but couldn't find anything there (though I might have overlooked something).
Sure.

Quote from: PHB, p. 58
A character can advance only one level at a time. If, for some extraordinary reason, a character's XP reward from a single adventure would be enough to advance two or more levels at once, he or she instead advances one level and gains just enough XP to be 1 XP short of the next level. Any excess experience points are not retained.

So if the belt trick works, you can do the Unlimited Charity Works trick repeatedly with multiple clones, but you only get one level per use of the trick. Your level (and the number of villages across the multiverse experiencing dramatic paradigm shifts) will be arbitrarily high, but still not infinite.
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2012, 03:00:19 PM »
I knew it was too good to be true :(
So the angle of attack should be trying to gain a CL-dependent amount of HD instead, I guess.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2012, 05:57:28 PM »

Psst ... hey, I've got some Gear to sell ya I gots from a Sparkly Temple.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Tohron

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
I don't suppose there's a way for an infinite number of body doubles to complete an infinite number of encounters in immediate (contingency-based) succession, and gain infinite xp that way?

Offline Bauglir

• Constrained
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2012, 10:38:22 PM »
Couldn't you count each belt delivery as a separate adventure? If you do that, and you have infinite belts, each of which grants you infinite experience (necessary in order to ensure you never stop gaining XP, even though the XP from each belt is truncated), and you have infinite people to deliver them to (simply deliver one to one trillionth of the inhabitants of Sigil, thereby ensuring that the odds of any party actually ENCOUNTERING somebody who received one, or of them affecting the setting meaningfully, are close to zero while still producing an infinite number of them), you can still gain infinite levels, right?

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2012, 11:40:52 PM »
Regardless of what you do to give the belts away, you can always kill the recipients later (and destroy the belts) and still have the xp.  So the belts are gone immediately after you hit infinite xp.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2012, 12:56:54 AM »
So the angle of attack should be trying to gain a CL-dependent amount of HD instead, I guess.
I remember seeing something on a thread around here about what to do with an arbitrarily high CL... It was something to do with Suffer the Flesh, I believe, and quoted being able to shapeshift into a <CL obtained by trick> HD dragon, because of some way to remove the CL limit on Shapechange. Let me go look it up...

Here we go...
(click to show/hide)
"What are the silliest and most insane things you can do with a caster level that high?  Since we're already using Reserves of Strength, we can ignore CL caps."
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 12:58:40 AM by Gazzien »

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2012, 07:03:51 PM »
F-ing Elves ...  :fu
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2012, 11:47:27 PM »
I remember seeing something on a thread around here about what to do with an arbitrarily high CL... It was something to do with Suffer the Flesh, I believe, and quoted being able to shapeshift into a <CL obtained by trick> HD dragon, because of some way to remove the CL limit on Shapechange. Let me go look it up...

Here we go...
(click to show/hide)
"What are the silliest and most insane things you can do with a caster level that high?  Since we're already using Reserves of Strength, we can ignore CL caps."

ummm. can shamblers speak? it usually indicates if a monster can speak, or not speak but understand. no language entry begs the question of if they can speak at all... which would invalidate that chain at the point of activating the command word item if they cannot.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2012, 12:20:25 AM »
Haha very good point!
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2012, 08:06:58 AM »
"Command-word" is a catchall for items that are activated as a standard action.  That activation can be verbal (traditional, and the reason for the term), manipulation, or mental.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Bauglir

• Constrained
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2012, 12:38:20 PM »
That depends - by the release of the MIC, for instance, they specified which was necessary. However, there's no particularly good reason you couldn't change them, since they were largely decided by fluff (even though mental is strictly superior).

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2012, 12:54:15 PM »
I mean that when designing a custom item, you can have it be any of those.  Not that you get to choose each time you activate it.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Bauglir

• Constrained
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2012, 01:34:33 PM »
Oh, right, gotcha, herp derp. Ignore my claims, move on. Forgot you were creating the item in the first place.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2012, 02:13:37 PM »
ah, an excellent counter point. thank you.

Offline Bauglir

• Constrained
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2012, 07:43:09 PM »
Pictured above: How arguments are supposed to go.

Also pictured above: An event of fucking mythological rarity on the Internet.