Author Topic: posting  (Read 6290 times)

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
posting
« on: January 15, 2015, 05:12:22 AM »
Is it just me, or does it feel like less people are posting now-a-days?
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline wotmaniac

• Legendary Member
  • Procrastinator in Chief
    • View Profile
Re: posting
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 02:36:53 PM »
according to board statistics, '12 was (by far) our biggest year.  but we're down to about half of where we were a year ago.
so yeah, it's not just you.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 02:58:29 PM »
thx

where'd u find the stats?
- All Spells
- playground

Offline wotmaniac

• Legendary Member
  • Procrastinator in Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 03:32:04 PM »
go to the home page, scroll down to the bottom where it says "forum stats", and click "more stats"

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 04:28:14 PM »
thx!
- All Spells
- playground

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 02:18:56 AM »
Well, we lost a lot with the board move, and no one really advertises us anymore do they?

Plus were mostly about 3.5, which is a fading game .  We need to embrace more games and find a way to get new peoples.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 02:52:27 AM »
yeah def. i'm doing mostly PF, which this site has a decent amount of
- All Spells
- playground

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 06:05:13 AM »
Also, for some reason, people hate minmax because of the concept and just straight up choose to avoid this place..... -_-'

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 07:17:05 AM »
Also, for some reason, people hate minmax because of the concept and just straight up choose to avoid this place..... -_-'

You can't save them.

You can only pray for the returned of the Silent Screamer of the Illuminated Dark to pierce the Veil of Flesh with its squamous hexatongues, bringing us brutal salvation in her hypercubic gullet.

Have you sacrificed a paladin to the Screaming One, young adept Ketaro?  I have a fresh one waiting for us.
Mudada.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 07:33:57 AM »
I'm not going to win any popularity points for this, but I would say the problem is that there's little discussion on the actual theme of the boards. Most posts nowadays seem to be either people showing random stuff from the net in the off-topic section, or just bitching about their life in the rants thread. That's not exactly going to motivate any newcomers to post.

Plus were mostly about 3.5, which is a fading game .  We need to embrace more games and find a way to get new peoples.

Pfft, if you call 3.5 a fading game, I don't want to know what you would call 4e. 5e already is overwhelming it in all D&D boards I know. :P

Gitp's 3.X forum has the front page filled with topics updated today or yesterday,while The 4e one only has two topics updated in the last couple days. Meanwhile the 3.X page on of this site has only 7 topics updated on the last couple days and stuff almost a whole month old when you scroll down to the bottom.

Activity produces activity. If you want more posts on the forums, somebody has to create topics of interest to draw people in.

Now excuse me, since it's the weekend after a busy week I've got campaigns to update.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 09:45:44 PM »
Those of us who do post stuff don't get much either.  I've posted a bunch of questions n my project to revamp ToB with not much in the way or replies.  We just need to draw more people, and stop doing whatever the heck it is were doing that scares off the new guys.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 10:18:59 PM »
I've posted a bunch of questions n my project to revamp ToB with not much in the way or replies.
It's possible (likely?) that all of the projects having their own subboards makes it less likely for people to see/comment on them. Now, personally, I am HUGELY in favor of our organizational philosophy (as opposed to, say, GitP's). I'm not sure what the answer is, but I just thought I'd toss in my 2cp.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 06:19:13 PM »

sidebar:
The weenie filter I post through, is now tagging ALL of BG for no access.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Fredgerd

• I'm newd!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 09:25:51 PM »
Those of us who do post stuff don't get much either.  I've posted a bunch of questions n my project to revamp ToB with not much in the way or replies.  We just need to draw more people, and stop doing whatever the heck it is were doing that scares off the new guys.

Thought that as a newbie I'd give my input on this. I don't think these boards are particularly intimidating. People are extremely helpful and I've yet to see any flaming or even much in the way of the pretentiousness that is common to gaming forums. I've been posting semi frequently since joining a few months back, but I'd say to main reason I haven't posted more is just slowness, combined with the fact that 90% of discussion is just "Need advice on X" and half the time the OP is clearly answered within a page or two of the thread.

One thing that has come to mind is that this board is extremely player focused. This strikes me as odd since I imagine the vast majority of people who take D&D and other roleplaying games seriously enough to actually participate actively in an online community are, have been, or are on the path to being a GM. There are no boards here explicitely for GMs to toss ideas around. Sure, you can post GM questions in other boards, but I could imagine a lot of GMs might come here looking for advice or a support community, not see a designated space for it, and look elsewhere. Maybe thats what was intended? I'm not certain. But from my perspective there is no reason that min-maxing shouldn't be applied by GMs, especially when its being used by players. No reason everything must have Alertness and Toughness. I could imagine a bunch of new life being brought to the forum by having boards and sub boards for custom monster builds, home made trap scenarios, packaged adventures, elaborate NPC villains, etc. That stuff is alot easier to put together too, on the individual scale, compared to making a whole detailed guide to min maxing a given PC class.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 12:22:46 AM »
Most GMs just put their questions alongside the player's questions.  Then again, most GM questions I've seen here are rules based so the fact that it's GM specific isn't really relevant to the question.