Author Topic: Easy Table Coding  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Easy Table Coding
« on: August 02, 2018, 05:31:13 PM »
I just discovered something and want to share it with all of you.

If you're like me, coding tables from scratch is a pain (especially ones with lots of columns).

However I have found a website that accepts table data from Excel (or any other spreadsheet program) and converts it into a basic bbcode table that you can then adjust (adding colors or lines or whatnot).  It can also output code for html tables as well as for putting into a wiki.

https://theenemy.dk/table/

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Table Coding
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 10:19:38 AM »
Nice! It looks like it pulls from Word, too, which I tend to use for writing up all my classes at home.

Thanks for this!
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 02:01:50 PM »
Another great easy way to do tables is to take advantage of the vertical table system Prime32 installed for everyone to make tables easier for them. You don't even have to type out the numbers for advancement, or even recall if average BAB gets +6/+1 or +7/+2 at level 9. It's copypasta, choosing your BAB progression, Fort progression, etc.

And for Class Features, as noted you write the table vertical, so it's pretty easy. Like you can write
Code: [Select]
Cloak of Shadow
Silent Illusion
Shadow Illusion
Extended Illusion
Powerful Shadow Magic
Codified it looks like this.
Code: [Select]
[row][cell]Cloak of Shadow[/cell][/row]
[row][cell]Silent Illusion[/cell][/row]
[row][cell]Shadow Illusion[/cell][/row]
[row][cell]Extended Illusion[/cell][/row]
[row][cell]Powerful Shadow Magic[/cell][/row]
And that's it outside of the copypasta you'll toss in before and after it when you're ready to post.

This is because the mod allows you to nicely stack equal length tables side by side with no display spacers. And needless to say, being able to see just the Class Features together in a line help you correct any errors later on, like when you are editing it later for some balance corrections. Most everything you need to copy and paste is laid out for you in another one of my posts, and I could also write up some Spell/Maneuver progressions if needed.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 07:37:43 PM »
Nice! It looks like it pulls from Word, too, which I tend to use for writing up all my classes at home.

Thanks for this!

You're welcome!

@SorO, that's interesting but with the kinds of tables I end up working with that doesn't make things significantly easier for me.   :p

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 07:45:29 AM »
@SorO, that's interesting but with the kinds of tables I end up working with that doesn't make things significantly easier for me.   :p
Yeah, if we get into it I think we both know what I prefer to use.

The point is the other people need help through too. Be it a website converting a separate Excell sheet over or something else. Someone made the request, benefit was seen, and it was added. And while it is character extensive, it does a lot to try and turn class table making into copy and paste.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 12:09:44 PM »
Yeah, if we get into it I think we both know what I prefer to use.

The point is the other people need help through too. Be it a website converting a separate Excell sheet over or something else. Someone made the request, benefit was seen, and it was added. And while it is character extensive, it does a lot to try and turn class table making into copy and paste.

I will definitely agree that for class tables or anything else repetitive it can help a lot.