Author Topic: Need some Pathfinder Advice  (Read 3450 times)

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Need some Pathfinder Advice
« on: April 02, 2017, 10:10:49 PM »
So in my first gam I decided to pay a Jotun http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/rite-publishing/jotun-paragon-class/

I'm 5th Level now and feel kinda meh.  Stats are 20 Str, 13 Dex, 18 Con, 8 Int, 15 Wis, 10 Cha.  Took Grab and Elemental BLow as my class powers.  Feats are Catch Off-Guard and Power Attack

Hoping for some multiclass optinos to spruce him up.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 10:27:52 PM by bhu »

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
Re: Need some Pathfinder Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 04:15:06 AM »
I have zero XP with 3pp material in PF, but I'll do my best.

Anything in particular that you are aiming to do, like specialty? Grapple, high dpr, etc.

PF almost encourages multiclass mundanes, being very front heavy. Archetypes are pseudo-PrCs. The limited PrC selection only recently opened up with these two feat, adding a handful of casting PrCs to the ranks of usable ones.

(click to show/hide)
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 11:00:32 AM »
This Racial Class concerns me.

Of Particular note:
Elemental Power

At 1st level, a jotun paragon must select one of the 4 elements (energy descriptor), Air (electricity), Earth (acid), Fire, or Water (cold), this choice is permanent and cannot be undone as it ties into your very nature and essence. This also prevents the jotun paragon from taking any other class levels. Until you are at least 6th level, if you do you will be destroyed within a 12 days time by your own unchecked power (GM rolls 2d6 secretly to determine the exact number of days). The jotun’s elemental might manifests in the form of abilities chosen from the list below gained at 1st, 3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, and 18th level.

Da Fuck?

Also I noticed the class gives you inherent bonuses to Str and Con, ignoring the usual +5 inherent bonus cap and effectively screwing you out of +5 Books in the far future. Should be a Racial or just untyped bonus.

You have Catch Off-Guard so I am guessing you are going the Improvised Weapon route. There are a few Archetypes that can take advantage of that:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo-monk-archetypes/monk-of-the-empty-hand/
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo-rogue-archetypes/makeshift-scrapper-rogue-archetype/
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/brawler/archetypes/flaming-crab-games-brawler-archetypes/tavern-brawler/

That last one is 3rd Party, but you are already using 3rd Party so that isnt an issue most likely. That being said it can be a particularly fun one I think.
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 09:33:38 PM »
I have zero XP with 3pp material in PF, but I'll do my best.

Anything in particular that you are aiming to do, like specialty? Grapple, high dpr, etc.

Im decent at throwing rocks and grappling, so maybe something to enhance that.  Or give me new options.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 09:35:45 PM »
This Racial Class concerns me.

Of Particular note:
Elemental Power

At 1st level, a jotun paragon must select one of the 4 elements (energy descriptor), Air (electricity), Earth (acid), Fire, or Water (cold), this choice is permanent and cannot be undone as it ties into your very nature and essence. This also prevents the jotun paragon from taking any other class levels. Until you are at least 6th level, if you do you will be destroyed within a 12 days time by your own unchecked power (GM rolls 2d6 secretly to determine the exact number of days). The jotun’s elemental might manifests in the form of abilities chosen from the list below gained at 1st, 3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, and 18th level.

Da Fuck?

Didn't bother me cause I intended to take it to at least 6th lvel to gain some nifty grab options.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 01:44:37 PM »
My advice is don't play Pathfinder. It's not worth it.    :lmao

Offline Ice9

• Still frozen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 07:47:41 PM »
Militant is a strange feature for 19th level.  If you wanted to be using martial weapons, you probably picked up the proficiency much earlier.  And if not, you probably have some highly enchanted simple weapons / natural weapon enhancement that would be awkward to drop for new stuff that late in the game.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 10:32:03 AM »
I'm very unimpressed with that class, I see reasons to feel meh about your character.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 04:38:56 PM »
Fun way to fuck with your buddies. Rogue, my true rez will fall off if you stole my shit.

Create paradoxes with reroll. Hours later they fail their save against a spell or effect.

(click to show/hide)

Racial Heritage + Storm Soul = electricity immunity at 1st level.
3rd level for permanent shocking metal weapons

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 04:44:18 PM by zook1shoe »
- All Spells
- playground

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 05:08:39 PM »
Got Power Throwing Feat and great hug for 6th level.  Currently looking for options to better my grapple or rock throwing.  That way I can be ranged artillery, and if they get close I can put em in the plastic surgery face hold.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 03:18:48 AM »
Grabbing style tree allows you to grapple two people simultaneously.
Snapping Turtle style tree allows you to grab as an immediate action when a foe misses.
Kraken Style insta-choked people in PFS, before they fixed it to allow holding breath.

There's a shit-ton of items that give bonuses to CMB, even a couple ioun stones.
- All Spells
- playground

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 05:30:06 PM »
The Style Feats have a serious feat tax...

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 02:56:46 PM »
That's why Master of Many Styles Monk 1-2 and Unarmed Fighter 1 come into play :-p

Both bypass prerequisite for the style feat you choose as the bonus feat. Depending on the style, depends on which feats in the tree still count as 'style' feats vs. Only 'combat'
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 02:58:38 PM by zook1shoe »
- All Spells
- playground