Author Topic: Anyone want to run through the red hand of doom?  (Read 27742 times)

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone want to run through the red hand of doom?
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2016, 12:50:27 AM »
I'm a sucker for point based casters. Mage is a go. I didn't look at the rest, if you want me to, I will.

No problem, I'll go ahead and start putting together a compelling Mage. I never did get a chance to play the last one I put together, aside from some minor RPing. :)

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2016, 02:48:28 AM »
I've got most of a build sketched out.  Rorik Firebeard, Zweihander Sentinal Warder 5.  He takes the hits so you don't have to!  (But might need a friendly priest to help patch him back up afterwards.)

I'll be focusing on the Eternal Guardian discipline from Paths of War Expanded, along with some Primal Fury for damage and a splash of Veiled Moon and Golden Lion for utility. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2016, 07:18:28 PM »
More fleshed out character mechanics.
- Lesser Aasimar Dragonborn Paladin 5. Not sure which aspect. I'd go with wings normally, but they require a light load, and my armor and stuff is going to be too heavy for that most likely.
- Feats are Draconic Recovery, Project Draconic Aura, Power Attack, and one more from the second flaw. Maybe Aura Focus to improve the singular draconic aura I know I'll always be projecting?
- Lots of auras to pick and choose from, several of which will depend on the party composition. I can only project one aura of each type at a time, but that's still 3 auras.
- I get one draconic aura from the feat. Energy surge (+1d4 energy damage to attacks), grace (15% miss chance, 1/day +1 AC for 1 round), indomitability (+1 all saves, 1/day fear immune for 1 round), power (+1d4 damage to attacks), senses (darkvision, blindsense 5 ft., 1/day blindsight 5 ft. for 1 round), and toughness (DR 2/-, 1/day negate the next 10 damage across the party) look useful. List of draconic auras is here, and I get 2 DV/level/day to use on aura boosts.
- Three divine auras with only a 10 ft. radius (instead of 60 ft.). The small radius means that these will matter more for the rest of the melee fighters in the party. Prayer (fast healing 2 under 1/2 max hp) is a gimme. List of divine auras is here.
- Four minor auras.

Edit: Can't take Aura Focus yet because I only get the draconic aura feat at 3rd level. Probably going to go for a divine or devotion feat instead to make use of my turning. Maybe Protection Devotion for the crazy buffing potential with another +3 AC for everyone for 1 minute, 3/day.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 09:24:20 PM by Garryl »

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2016, 10:50:43 PM »
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already, but is this being dropped into an existing campaign setting, or is it being run with a generic setting? As an individual module, I'm sure it doesn't matter too much, but I still like to develop a character and it would help in setting up a character background.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2016, 11:47:27 PM »
Mostly a generic setting. I hadn't planned on introducing much outside of the adventure honestly. I figure if we can make it 5 levels considering how pbp tend to be, I'll take things from there.
Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2016, 12:10:02 AM »
No problem, just trying to get a sense of our surroundings.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2016, 12:13:29 AM »
Must of the time I use character backgrounds to start the development of the world any way. If there is something that didn't fit, I'll either make it work, or work with the player to change it so it works.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2016, 11:06:27 AM »
My PC's first sheet version, almost complete. Just have to spend some 1300 gold. And flesh background a bit more I guess.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 11:10:59 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Vladeshi

• Feel free to ignore me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2016, 07:28:58 PM »
That works out well then. If you want to use an early entry or a favored soul build, let me know and we can discuss it.
You mentioned starting at level 5, what level would we likely be going up to by the end?
Because that will affect whether or not I am interested in early entry.
The adventure is supposed to run up to level ten. Sorry I missed your post.
Then I would be interested in early entry.
Would using Sanctum Spell to enter after Transmuter 3 be alright?
Also, would I be allowed to use starting wealth to "purchase" the ability from a magical location?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 08:21:34 PM by Vladeshi »
The following explanation has been removed due to time constraints, character limits on posts, and the DC 30 Spellcraft checks to understand large portions of it.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2016, 08:23:15 PM »
Yes and yes.

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2016, 03:52:06 PM »
Here's tentative build. When and if geniussavant approves it, will work on background ASAP.

Human Wildshape Ranger 5
Stats Str 12 Dex 12 Con 16 +1 at 4th level Int12 Wis 16 Cha 8

ACFs: Spiritual Connection (Exchange Wild Empathy for speak with animals speak with plants 3/day)
Moon Warded Armor (Wis to AC with light armor or less; otherwise as monk) (Dragon mag 340, Crystal Keep base class index)
Champion of the Wild (exchange spellcasting ability for bonus feats at levels 4, 8, 11 and 14)

H: Improved Initiative
1: Alertness
R1: Track
R2: Moon Warded Armor
R3: Endurance
3: Power Attack
R4: Eyes in the Back of Your Head

This build is aiming to enter Master of Many Forms next level and all the way to 10.

Background (WIP)
(click to show/hide)

Full sheet will come soon...

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 05:04:42 PM by Risada »

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2016, 04:13:03 PM »
Looks good so far.

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2016, 05:01:53 PM »
Edited my last post with Haled's background (WIP)... If you need me to change anything, please say so, GS.

Also, starting gold is 9000 gp?

Offline Vladeshi

• Feel free to ignore me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2016, 06:02:36 PM »
Welcar Merthion is now finished!
(click to show/hide)

Just let me know if there are any problems with it.
The following explanation has been removed due to time constraints, character limits on posts, and the DC 30 Spellcraft checks to understand large portions of it.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2016, 08:02:35 PM »
Rorik Firebeard
(click to show/hide)

Need to spend another 3773 gold and come up with 2 flaws that aren't horrific, and I'd like to avoid the usual Shaky + Murky-Eyed if possible.  Anyone know of any decent homebrew or 3rd party flaws?

I was planning on finishing up backstory once we determine groups.  I like to write in at least a few relationships to other characters.  It helps with the whole "why are we adventuring together" thing, and lets us skip that awkward party introductions bit, because we already know each other in character.

Offline Kerrus

• Immovable Rods Kill
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2016, 03:40:47 AM »
Need to spend another 3773 gold and come up with 2 flaws that aren't horrific, and I'd like to avoid the usual Shaky + Murky-Eyed if possible.  Anyone know of any decent homebrew or 3rd party flaws?

I've used the following in some of my games.

Shaky Under Pressure: Take a -2 to all skill checks and AC when one or more enemies threaten you in melee.

Unreliable: You may not act during the first round of combat, or during surprise rounds (although you are not flat footed if you otherwise would not be).

Easily Surprised: You take a -2 to reflex saves. You take a -2 to AC during surprise rounds and the first round of combat.

Hemophobia: Whenever deliver the killing blow to a creature with an anatomy, you are sickened for one round. If you killed it with a critical hit or massive damage, you are nauseated, then sickened for 1d2 rounds.

Afraid of the Dark: You are shaken in areas of dim illumination. Whenever you would enter an area of magical darkness, you must make a will save or become panicked.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2016, 04:29:41 AM »
I'm considering Hot-Blooded from Dragon 324 (makes sense for an Azerblood), or seeing about adapting some of the Negative Qualities from Shadowrun.  Namely, Dependents (you have a family back home that you have to support - you have to send them money and they might turn up in the story), and Prejudice (you're a racist and take penalties on social interactions with members of the class you hate). 

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2016, 12:04:35 PM »
I'm not a fan mechanically of prejudice. Either A you pick group you will never encounter and thus it never comes up, or B you pick something that did come up and it hurts the whole party. Dependants would work, I just would have to figure out how much of your wealth out would cost. Probably a percentage of 10-20%

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2016, 05:11:22 PM »
hers is where we are at as far as I can tell. Linklord Rorik Firebeard, Zweihander Sentinal Warder 5

Garryl - Lesser Aasimar Dragonborn Paladin 5.

Risada Human Wildshape Ranger 5

Vladeshi -focused transmuter 3+ war weaver 2

Oslecamo- human mythical maid 5

VennDygrem- Mage ?

Stratovarius- walker in the waste?

Phaedrusxy- ??

Edit:Altperson
Ideally, I'd like to get things started next weekend if possible.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 09:27:08 PM by geniussavant »

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2016, 06:09:00 PM »
Ideally, I'd like to get things started next weekend if possible.

Will try to have a sheet up later today.