Author Topic: Empower Spell Rounding  (Read 4554 times)

Offline taltamir

• Wizard
    • View Profile
Empower Spell Rounding
« on: May 12, 2017, 08:50:30 PM »
Quote from: empower spell metamagic
All variable, numeric effects of an empowered spell are increased by one-half.

How do you round this? that is, lets say I empower a spell that deals 1d6 damage. It now deals 1d6 + 1d6/2
I rolled a 6 on the first roll and a 1 on the second roll. This comes out to dealing 6.5 damage. Does it round down to 6 or up to 7?

Or am I supposed to use 1d6 + 1d3? That would actually be on average better results than exactly half.

And what if it is multiple dice. like a 10d6 fireball? do I roll 15d6 then? Or make a second roll of 10d6, add them up, then divide by two (and round up or down)? This method has the issue of uneven dice number. like a 9d6 fireball
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Re: Empower Spell Rounding
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 10:19:51 PM »
Uh, heheh....

Cast Empowered Fireball. Roll 10d6 because CL is 10 or higher. What'd you roll? Lets say 43. Empower for 50% more. 1/2 of 43 is 21.5. Add. 64.5. Round down because everything always rounds down. Unless the Metamagic is specifically referencing a dice roll by actually using some variation of "dice" or "dx" or "xdx", you do math like normal math.  ;)

TL;DR: Roll dice. Do the modifier to the result, NOT the dice themselves. Round down.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 11:42:41 PM »
Quote from: PHB
ROUNDING FRACTIONS
In general, if you wind up with a fraction, round down, even if the fraction is one-half or larger. For example, if a fireball deals you 17 points of damage, but you succeed at your saving throw and only take half damage, you take 8 points of damage. Exception: Certain rolls, such as damage and hit points, have a minimum of 1.
Quote from: PHB
EMPOWER SPELL [METAMAGIC]
You can cast spells to greater effect.
Benefit: All variable, numeric effects of an empowered spell are increased by one-half. An empowered spell deals half again as much damage as normal, cures half again as many hit points, affects half again as many targets, and so forth, as appropriate. For example, an empowered magic missile deals 1-1/2 times its normal damage (roll 1d4+1 and multiply the result by 1-1/2 for each missile). Saving throws and opposed rolls (such as the one you make when you cast dispel magic) are not affected, nor are spells without random variables. An empowered spell uses up a spell slot two levels higher than the spell’s actual level.

For future help, remember the System Reference Document is not actually a rule's source but guidelines for publishing content under the Open-Gaming License (OGL). While sites like d20srd.org are great for it's accessibility for obtaining accurate quotes of often pertinent rule information in lieu of hard copies in real life, it is, in it's own words, "not intended to replace them."* When in doubt, check the rules them selves instead of a website that edited a document that only referenced part of the rules and see if the missing context and explanations can help you understand it.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 11:50:43 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 11:54:42 PM »
I suppose if I wasn't too lazy at the time I should have quoted the book too.................Thank you Soro.

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 10:08:09 AM »
Heh, Im surprised they went through the effort to cut out information from these feats. I guess its one reason to open up the PHB, not that I have in years  -_-'
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 12:01:14 PM »
I suppose if I wasn't too lazy at the time I should have quoted the book too.................Thank you Soro.
Your welcome, and don't fret about who's post is better. You popped in and helped with an accurate answer, that's all that matters.

Heh, Im surprised they went through the effort to cut out information from these feats. I guess its one reason to open up the PHB, not that I have in years  -_-'
The general rule of thumb is the SRD left out everything needed to actually play the game. Which is also why it's so easily to use as a default go to, if you have a pretty good idea on how to play you can get by with just the bare bone entries serving as reminders.

Offline Tshern

• The Clown Prince of Crime
  • DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 01:21:23 PM »
The general rule of thumb is the SRD left out everything needed to actually play the game. Which is also why it's so easily to use as a default go to, if you have a pretty good idea on how to play you can get by with just the bare bone entries serving as reminders.
This. Maybe two years ago a friend of mine who's new to DnD ran into problems with SRD because of the omissions. I seriously didn't even realise so many things had been left out before he said he couldn't understand some of the rules. I suppose the book rules were too deeply seated in my brain.
Pian unohtuu aika ja tila
Ja nahkapeitto ja syyllisyys
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys