Author Topic: Templates  (Read 2583 times)

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
Templates
« on: October 06, 2014, 10:56:13 PM »
Templates

Dracolich

Shadow Dragon Template

Half Dragon

Gains: Senses, Resistance, Language, Breath Weapon
Type does not change

I find it funny that the fluff indicates they can't have offspring other than via magic, yet we have the Sorcerer class with draconic lineage. Don't recall if previous editions had this fluff.

There's no immediate downside to not being a Half-Dragon

Lycanthrope

Gains: Floor of a physical stat is set to X based on animal, and +1 AC in hybrid or animal form.

Only downside is perhaps the full moon, though the Wereboar entry leaves one to believe the curse can be controlled.

Vampire

Gains: Floor of physical scores set to 18, damage resistances, darkvision, traits, actions. Undead and alignment LE.

Assuming one gets past being a spawn, and is already of evil tenadancy, its interesting in that theres no crippling LA.

Offline Shadowhunter

• E6/E8 fanboy.
    • View Profile
    • The additional vestige collection for all you Binder players out there.
Re: Templates
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 07:28:31 AM »
Lychanthropes that actively gives in to their condition get their alignment shifted to match the specific breed they are. Werebear (NG), Wereboar (NE), Wererat (LE), Weretiger (N),Werewolf (NE). The fluff burb seems to indicate that unless you embrace the curse, the only time you shift is during the full moon. So if you want to be able to change shape at will, it seems as embracing the curse (and the subsequent alignment) is the only way.

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 11:07:24 AM »
For purely stats, Bear is the win anyways...

What I find a bit ambiguous right now is:

Let's say you're a mid level Martial, with Strength being an important stat. You've already take Ability Score Improvement(Str) at least once.

Becoming a Bear Lycan you gain a Str of 19. What of the Ability Score Improvements to Strength from your class you have already acquired?

Does Ability Score Improvement now apply on top of your gained Str of 19?
Does Ability Score Improvement now become somewhat of a waste, and you need another Ability Score Improvement to hit 20?
Do you need your original Str score + Ability Score Improvements to reach 20? (interpreted as overlap)

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 03:52:30 PM »
Any way to get Vampire onto Werewolf ??

... you know, twilight bvllsh!t

Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 06:11:55 PM »
Any way to get Vampire onto Werewolf ??

... you know, twilight bvllsh!t

I think it is possible to go from Human(Humanoid)  -> Lycan (Human (Humanoid, Shapechanger) ->  Vampire (Undead(Shapechanger))

I don't believe 5e Undead have the blanket immunity to fortitude save effects, so I don't think there's an argument to be made for Curse of Lycanthropy not persisting after the transition into undeath, or anything stopping a natural born Lycan from becoming a Vampire either.

At least, it isn't covered in the very small section on each Type, nor on the Vampire's stat block.

Granted, none of this stops heavy books from being thrown  :shakefist