Author Topic: Looking for players for 3.5 Maptools campaign  (Read 5231 times)

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Looking for players for 3.5 Maptools campaign
« on: November 07, 2013, 12:17:38 AM »
Hi, I have an ongoing War of the Burning Sky campaign that is short on players.  We currently have a Warblade/Fighter, a Shaper Psion, and a wildshape-less druid, and some NPC tag alongs.  I'd like to recruit 1 or 2 more people.  Starting level is 3, with 2700 gp to spend as you like.  I will be handing out level ups at appropriate points rather than tracking xp, so please try to avoid concepts that require burning xp for spells or crafting (there won't be much down time, anyway).  A rogue type would be helpful, but not necessary.  I'm willing to make Trapfinding available as a feat if necessary, though if you lack the class skills, that won't be much help.
The campaign thread is here with more information.
If you actually see this in time and can build a character, we are planning to play tonight (Thursday) at 9:30 pm EST.  The normal game night is Mondays at the same time, I moved it just for this week to accommodate a player's schedule.  Please feel free to use any of my custom-made classes, or take the flaws I have linked (you're still limited to 2 extra feats from flaws).

Thanks for your interest, let me know if you have any questions.

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for players for 3.5 Maptools campaign
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 07:54:33 AM »
I'm interested in playing a rogue or rogue/soulknife, but the usual schedule is VERY late on a week night for me (23:30PM in my TMZ). Is it possible to change it? Make it earlier or on weekends? Just asking...
Sneaky_Sable: "Keep the Omega Whatever, I'll take that Dagger. Nice to meet you *sneak attack* I hope everything's alright *sneak attack* how's your liver been *sneak attack*..."

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 06:09:05 PM »
Yeah, I wish I could change it....I have to wake up at 7 am for work, it's really brutal on my sleep.  Unfortunately, I have a west coast player who can't make it any earlier, and a player who works nights on weekends, so earlier or end of week isn't possible.

It will have to move from Mondays, though.  I just found out today, the class I'm taking in January that I was told would be on Thursdays....is on Mondays.   :shakefist  It won't have to change immediately, but at some point, game will be moving.  I'm guessing to Weds. or Thursday, will have to see people's availability.

Would you be available during daytime on weekends?  I could try that, too.  Fitting schedules is hard.  :(

EDIT: And if you did want to play soulknife, you can use my fix for it (linked in the game thread).  You don't have to, but it's pretty much plainly better, IMO.

EDIT^2: After talking to the others, it appears we will do Monday nights from now through end of Nov, then switch to Thursday nights in December.  Also, a friend of mine can probably join, and is considering soulknife or a ninja/rogue type character, though that could change.  I am fine with a 5 person party, so one more joining is welcome, regardless.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 02:32:43 AM by StreamOfTheSky »

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 06:31:24 AM »
Unfortunatelly I can't play during daytime on weekends. Family and stuff, you know? But that's ok. Thanks anyway. Have fun!
Sneaky_Sable: "Keep the Omega Whatever, I'll take that Dagger. Nice to meet you *sneak attack* I hope everything's alright *sneak attack* how's your liver been *sneak attack*..."

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 12:13:38 PM »
Bump.

Friend might not be joining after all...

Still only have 3 players and definitely need at least one more.  We play Mondays 9:30 - 12:30 EST right now, switching to Thursdays at the same time in December.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 03:09:21 PM »
Bump.

Friend might not be joining after all...

Still only have 3 players and definitely need at least one more.  We play Mondays 9:30 - 12:30 EST right now, switching to Thursdays at the same time in December.
I would love to join, but school is absolutely ridiculous right now. Apologies.

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 05:40:06 PM »
Bump!

Still only have 3 players, one dropped out.  Current party is Shaper Psion, non-wildshape Druid, and Fighter/Warblade/Barbarian (reach-tripper, going Dervish).  There is also an NPC cleric and 2 others that are non-combatants, and an archer ranger (former player's, won't be staying).  We play on Thursdays at 9:30 pm for about 3 hours, including this Thursday.

You would be level 4, 32 point buy, hp is max for 1st HD and 3/4 max for all other levels.  Please let me know if you are interested, I allow a lot of material, especially for non-casters.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 10:35:44 PM »
I may want to join for a Druid going into Shifter; I'm busy tonight and for NYE

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 11:07:39 PM »

Well, the party already has one druid...  And what PrC is Shifter?  I only know of the race.  I tend to nerf full caster PrC's by making the first level not advance casting.  Unless it's really no stronger than the base class's features.  Or it's a hybrid PrC that forces you to dilute your casting to enter already.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 07:31:47 AM »

Well, the party already has one druid...  And what PrC is Shifter?  I only know of the race.  I tend to nerf full caster PrC's by making the first level not advance casting.  Unless it's really no stronger than the base class's features.  Or it's a hybrid PrC that forces you to dilute your casting to enter already.
Druid PRC for super-Wild Shape.

Figured if we had a non-wildshape druid, an only-wildshape druid would work just as well. :P

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 10:51:38 PM »
That was updated to 3.5 as the Master of Many Forms PrC, if you want to play that.  I'll allow that if so.

We did just gain a Battle Dancer (Capoeirista - my version of the class) set to start tomorrow.  So the party now has two melee characters, a "summoner" psion, and the no-wildshape druid.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 06:51:49 PM »
That was updated to 3.5 as the Master of Many Forms PrC, if you want to play that.  I'll allow that if so.

We did just gain a Battle Dancer (Capoeirista - my version of the class) set to start tomorrow.  So the party now has two melee characters, a "summoner" psion, and the no-wildshape druid.
Oh. Huh. I... didn't even see that.

Wow, I'm bad at reading comprehension. Yeah, looks like I might do that. Probably Wildshape Ranger into MoMF, when the time comes.

I'll type him up later today (Limit being eight hours from now, when I'll sleep); do you have a preferred format?

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 07:36:43 PM »
So, I was looking for 4-5 players.  Assuming the new Battle Dancer is in, that would mean one open slot. Someone who previously expressed interest but couldn't do the time slot before has also PM'd me again.  Not sure what to do...  Maybe you should wait on building the character a bit...

Wow, I'm bad at reading comprehension. Yeah, looks like I might do that. Probably Wildshape Ranger into MoMF, when the time comes.

I'll type him up later today (Limit being eight hours from now, when I'll sleep); do you have a preferred format?

As for your character, WS Ranger is also fine.  If you want...I made it for Pathfinder, but I could try and convert it back to 3.5... I have MoMF as an archetype for Ranger itself, complete with wildshape rules that (IMO) merge the best parts of 3E and PF polymorph rules (ie, it's 90% 3E rules :) ).  The advantages to using the archetype include being able to have items merge with your form and remain functional, a HUUUUUGE annoyance in 3E if you don't want to spend a fortune on wilding clasps and draping them on your bear form isn't really an option b/c you were hoping to actually be incognito.  And more importantly, you can start the game already able to wildshape and speak and have some forms variety, rather than waiting till level 6 to enter MoMF.  Because...realistically, the party won't be level 6 for at least 2 months.
It would need some changes, between skills, giving up class features you don't actually have, Giant not being a subtype of Humanoid and thus throwing off my lovely forms progression...

I will not allow Frozen Wildshape --> Cryohydra and similar shenanigans, and will be banning certain forms that are just too strong (like Cloaker, with the at will Ex save-or-lose attacks).  I would also expect you to have the stat blocks of any forms you take to be typed up beforehand and updated/replaced as you level, and please try to stick to ~6-12 form options at most at a time, I don't have the time to check endless stat blocks.

You could make a myth-weavers sheet or post in spoilers in the thread (Zayed's sheet is a good example for that format).  I'd prefer to have simple stat blocks spoilered in the thread for your forms, rather than a separate myth-weavers sheet for each.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 07:18:52 PM »
So, I was looking for 4-5 players.  Assuming the new Battle Dancer is in, that would mean one open slot. Someone who previously expressed interest but couldn't do the time slot before has also PM'd me again.  Not sure what to do...  Maybe you should wait on building the character a bit...

As for your character, WS Ranger is also fine.  If you want...I made it for Pathfinder, but I could try and convert it back to 3.5... I have MoMF as an archetype for Ranger itself, complete with wildshape rules that (IMO) merge the best parts of 3E and PF polymorph rules (ie, it's 90% 3E rules :) ).  The advantages to using the archetype include being able to have items merge with your form and remain functional, a HUUUUUGE annoyance in 3E if you don't want to spend a fortune on wilding clasps and draping them on your bear form isn't really an option b/c you were hoping to actually be incognito.  And more importantly, you can start the game already able to wildshape and speak and have some forms variety, rather than waiting till level 6 to enter MoMF.  Because...realistically, the party won't be level 6 for at least 2 months.
It would need some changes, between skills, giving up class features you don't actually have, Giant not being a subtype of Humanoid and thus throwing off my lovely forms progression...

I will not allow Frozen Wildshape --> Cryohydra and similar shenanigans, and will be banning certain forms that are just too strong (like Cloaker, with the at will Ex save-or-lose attacks).  I would also expect you to have the stat blocks of any forms you take to be typed up beforehand and updated/replaced as you level, and please try to stick to ~6-12 form options at most at a time, I don't have the time to check endless stat blocks.

You could make a myth-weavers sheet or post in spoilers in the thread (Zayed's sheet is a good example for that format).  I'd prefer to have simple stat blocks spoilered in the thread for your forms, rather than a separate myth-weavers sheet for each.
I would love to play as the MoMF-ranger, if you would care to backport it.

Absolutely okay with that (didn't even consider Frozen / etc on top of MoMF, nor did I know about the Cloaker), and more than 6 would be too many for me to deal with anyways.

So spoilered forms, may as well have one for the normal character too. Sounds great~

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 10:17:48 PM »
Ok, here is my 3.5 version.  It is slightly nerfed (no martial weapons, no combat style, no camo or HiPS, and no Spontaneous mutation though dragon form gives breath weapon).  Partly because 3E ranger just doesn't have as much stuff to swap, and partly because my PF balance point was the Synthesist Summoner, which can trash its physical stats and get pounce 24/7 right from level 1, and can then a la carte add flight and all sorts of other "best" monster abilities to the package as you level.  3E at least slightly more balanced than that.   :)  It's still a definite upgrade compared to 3E ranger and the important parts are largely unchanged.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 10:28:57 PM by StreamOfTheSky »

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 09:38:28 PM »
I'm really sorry, I won't be able to play. Sincere apologies for making you rewrite MOMF into 3.5 and then dropping out. :(