Author Topic: [3.5]The Other Half Campaign Yearly Replacement Recruitment  (Read 59354 times)

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5]The Other Half Campaign Yearly Replacement Recruitment
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2013, 04:31:32 PM »
I only had one question. But then I noticed I overlooked a few things. :p

How do I get improved grab to get Multigrab....?
Otherwise, could I treat Lunatic Impale as effectively improved grab for the Multigrab prereq?
Other OTHERwise can I use OA's Improved Grapple feat which effectively mimics Improved Grab and ignore the "when hit with an unarmed attack" part? >.>

(Gosh I hate trying to figure out how to get Improved Grab on anything other than a bear)
Edit: This is such a teeeeeeeeerible idea  :lmao. Building a character around a class feature I wouldn't even get for 1 more level!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 04:44:04 PM by ketaro »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2013, 06:33:32 PM »
Added clause to Lunatic Lancer that lets you use Lunatic Impale instead of Improved Grab to satisfy feat requirements.

i assume your monster classes are avail?
Monster classes, as well as my other homebrew, are auto-included.

what about these?
Holy Knight
Sublime Archer
Kensei of the Five Rings
Metafeats

Too much walls of text classes (sublime archer alone has 4 custom disciplines), too little time on my side.
Metafeats are just too :psyduck for my head right now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2013, 06:40:34 PM »
I have relocated the ideal picture for a lesser aasimar shrine maiden.

So, any sort of naming thing going on (any culture in particular, made up, etc.)?

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2013, 06:49:50 PM »
My browser warns me against your link.

As for naming, you can make up at your will, as long as it isn't anything too silly.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2013, 06:53:58 PM »
Oh, right, Safebooru's ads are messed up right now. Here we are, instead.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2013, 08:04:31 PM »
Huh?

I'm dumb.

the other site uses your Mythweavers name and password.

yeah, they are kind of walls of text. And metafeats can be really powerful.

I think I'll go w a warforged artificer, pretty straight up.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:42:59 PM by zook1shoe »
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2013, 09:54:19 PM »
Just want to pop in and warn people that so far, fights are pretty tough. Our enemies hit pretty darn hard (besides being capable of other nasty surprises), because we're mostly capable of rewriting physics with our hands tied behind our backs. ;)

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2013, 10:15:05 PM »
*nods*

LA buyoff?
Leadership?

canceled the artificer idea, thinking a 'simple' dwarf super armored tank or maybe a strange monster class thing

The Feater available?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:36:05 AM by zook1shoe »
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2013, 11:37:06 PM »
Oslecamo, you know the game and you know the group so I'm going to throw some ideas at you and you can tell me what will fit in best with the power level/group makeup.

- I have a spiked chain tank of my own I'd love to play and this is high enough level for it but I don't want to step on the toes of a player that is still technically in the game.
 - A gunslinger.  I'm currently playing one at level 6 and I'd love to see what he can do at level 14.  Hell, I can even use the existing character as a base point for personality/fluff.  Kergis Ironeyes is fun to play.  If playing a gunslinger I'd like to use gun rules from Dragon #321 because they're actually pretty decent.
 - Lastly, as I rummage around for something that's not going to overload you with new things to read...hmm.  You've already got a glass cannon and 2 casters...you're dealing with an Inevitable factory so how about an Anaxim?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2013, 02:36:50 AM »
Since I think the password thing was directed at me, take three.. :|

I guess I can't use cleric wands, since I've traded away casting?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:57:51 AM by Raineh Daze »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2013, 03:19:10 AM »
Just want to pop in and warn people that so far, fights are pretty tough. Our enemies hit pretty darn hard (besides being capable of other nasty surprises), because we're mostly capable of rewriting physics with our hands tied behind our backs. ;)

See like I'm building this Lunatic Scholar and its looking like it'd work out as a fun build for controlling the battlefield with ALL THE REACH (and I suppose impale/pin/grapple abuse in a level or two), but I'm not sure if I'm good enough to optimize this build enough to survive in a high powered game. I already am feeling like I'm struggling to keep up with the enemies in oslecamo's mecha game here so I feel like I can't make this work in high powered game run by him  :lmao

I think I'ma hang out on the sidelines with this one then.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2013, 06:16:10 AM »
You could always get some help fine-tuning the build over in the actual min/max forum.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2013, 06:24:08 AM »
True...true...but I think I'm okay with passing on this :)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2013, 06:57:10 AM »
Hmm, some stuff on Dichromatic Lotus Butterfly:
Maiden's Capriccio-You can use this option when you're attacked by an opponent currently affected by one or more of your Persuasion Needles. Make a Sense Motive check opposed by your attacker highest skill check. If you suceed, the attack fails to affect you. Either way all Persuasion Needles on your attacker mysteriously vanish.If you suceeded by 20 or more, your opponent becomes one step friendlier towards you.

Firstly, by 'attack' does it mean the same stuff as would break Invisibility (or is it Greater Invisibility? Gah)? Secondly, if used against the first attack in a full attack, does it stop just the one attack or the whole thing?

Secondly, since you've changed Persuasion Needle to use the stuff from HRtP, this line:

Persuasion Needle-To use this option you must use a Dream Battle maneuver that demands an attack roll and use a dart from Highly Responsive to Prayers. If you hit you only deal half damage, but the "needle" sticks to your opponent, inflicting a penalty on Bluff, Disguise, Intimidate, Hide and Move Silently checks equal to your ranks in Sense Motive plus your Wis mod. You always know the exact position of someone with a Persuassion Needle stuck on them by you.
Removing a Persuasion needle is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity. Multiple needles don't stack the penalties, but they demand multiple standard actions to remove.

seems obsolete because it only deals one damage anyway.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2013, 09:13:31 AM »
*nods*

LA buyoff?
Leadership?
LA isn't allowed. I didn't oversee the creation of hundreds of monster classes just to then use LA in my games.

Leadership ok, but cohort only has elite array of stats, NPC WBL, and followers only nonelite array of stats. Adept followers take a -1 level penalty. Followers with PC levels take a -2 level penalty. If you ever take any equipment from any of your cohort/followers, they'll all turn on you.

The Feater available?
No. Several feats have prerequisites for good reasons.

Oslecamo, you know the game and you know the group so I'm going to throw some ideas at you and you can tell me what will fit in best with the power level/group makeup.

- I have a spiked chain tank of my own I'd love to play and this is high enough level for it but I don't want to step on the toes of a player that is still technically in the game.
 - A gunslinger.  I'm currently playing one at level 6 and I'd love to see what he can do at level 14.  Hell, I can even use the existing character as a base point for personality/fluff.  Kergis Ironeyes is fun to play.  If playing a gunslinger I'd like to use gun rules from Dragon #321 because they're actually pretty decent.
 - Lastly, as I rummage around for something that's not going to overload you with new things to read...hmm.  You've already got a glass cannon and 2 casters...you're dealing with an Inevitable factory so how about an Anaxim?
-Well, one could say there's never too many spiked chain tanks. :p
-Ah, I already seen the Gunslinger pop up here and there. Allowed, but black rain and iron rain no (they look fine at early levels, but later on both start geting just too much pseudo-free attacks).  Will have to check if I have Dragon #321 at all.
-Anaxim of course allowed.  :P

Since I think the password thing was directed at me, take three.. :|

I guess I can't use cleric wands, since I've traded away casting?
Indeed.

Hmm, some stuff on Dichromatic Lotus Butterfly:
Maiden's Capriccio-You can use this option when you're attacked by an opponent currently affected by one or more of your Persuasion Needles. Make a Sense Motive check opposed by your attacker highest skill check. If you suceed, the attack fails to affect you. Either way all Persuasion Needles on your attacker mysteriously vanish.If you suceeded by 20 or more, your opponent becomes one step friendlier towards you.

Firstly, by 'attack' does it mean the same stuff as would break Invisibility (or is it Greater Invisibility? Gah)? Secondly, if used against the first attack in a full attack, does it stop just the one attack or the whole thing?

Secondly, since you've changed Persuasion Needle to use the stuff from HRtP, this line:

Persuasion Needle-To use this option you must use a Dream Battle maneuver that demands an attack roll and use a dart from Highly Responsive to Prayers. If you hit you only deal half damage, but the "needle" sticks to your opponent, inflicting a penalty on Bluff, Disguise, Intimidate, Hide and Move Silently checks equal to your ranks in Sense Motive plus your Wis mod. You always know the exact position of someone with a Persuassion Needle stuck on them by you.
Removing a Persuasion needle is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity. Multiple needles don't stack the penalties, but they demand multiple standard actions to remove.

seems obsolete because it only deals one damage anyway.
-Yes. However it only stops a single attack. So if your opponent full attacks, you can only stop one.
-Several Dream Battle maneuvers increase the damage dealt by your projectiles.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2013, 09:17:20 AM »
Damn full attacks. :shakefist

... what conceivable use is a penalty to disguise going to do in a battle? :huh

Also, er, stupid question: is the average of 14 d6 HD 14 x 3.5 or is taking the exact mathematical average wrong? :blush

Why does the only Wisdom-to-Init thing require me to be a halfling? ;-;
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 09:46:18 AM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2013, 10:15:19 AM »
Nixing half of the gunslinger's disciplines effectively nixes it for me.

I offer as replacement something along the lines of the Soulbow build in my build thread.  I'd probably try to optimize it up a little more but it covers the base concept of what I want (wis to everything a lot).

The spiked chain guy needs a bunch of things for approval.  We have: Ziegander's Sublime Knight, the Leviathan-Born prestige class, and the associated disciplines for said prestige class.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2013, 11:06:07 AM »
The gunslinger originally had a whooping 8 disciplines (4 custom and 4 base ones from Artful Adaptation). I would even be willing to allow you to pick all 4 Artful Adaptation options at once if you want more discipline variety.

Otherwise, your Soulbow build looks good, and saves me from having to check up a bunch of extra pages of homebrew.

Damn full attacks. :shakefist

... what conceivable use is a penalty to disguise going to do in a battle? :huh
Not much I admit, but it does make it harder to pull a clean escape.

Also, er, stupid question: is the average of 14 d6 HD 14 x 3.5 or is taking the exact mathematical average wrong? :blush
14*3.5 Altough the first HD is maximized.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2013, 11:55:52 AM »
It seems we're down to haggling about the gunslinger, I can work with that. 

How about replacing Black Rain and Iron Rain with...you know what, nevermind.

I'm fine with your compromise, and am even willing to pare it down to the 2 custom disciplines + 3 artful adaptation (an extra 2 to replace Black Rain and Iron Rain). 

Since the gunslinger can drawn and sheath his guns as a free action I'm going to be free action reloading dual guns all the time if that's okay.

I can also send you the relevant rules from the Dragon article if you'd like, I only want a couple of things out of the article.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2013, 12:01:31 PM »
Ok, PM the specific gun rules you want.

Also just to check in, you'll be gaining the free action reloading from the rapid reload feat correct?