Author Topic: [Legend] Osaka Street Stories  (Read 17580 times)

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Even forever must end, I think. ...
    • View Profile
    • Legend RPG, Rule of Cool Gaming
[Legend] Osaka Street Stories
« on: June 19, 2013, 12:35:35 AM »
199X, Osaka.

For most people, life is a brittle scramble. Crime is on the rise. Global economies are shifting.
There are big stories to tell, grim shadows to explore, and corporate intrigues to follow.
Our story takes a different path―

Delicious Okonomiyaki! What is it?! Why do I care?!
Okonomiyaki is a Japanese savory pancake, often made of flour, grated yam, water, eggs, and shredded cabbage, topped to taste. An often confirmed rumor is that the best okonomiyaki in town comes from the PCs' shop.

But all is not well in the okonomiyaki shop! Beneath the floorboards lies a vault. Its walls are covered with prayer scrolls for binding and protection, powered by Hard Work, Friendship, and the delicious and tantalizing smell of Pancakes. There is only one item in this vault: a box. The box is magically sealed, drawing power from the prayer scrolls. But kept away long enough, it might just reveal its secrets, secrets our PCs might prefer stay... secret.

Only problem is, corrupt cops and a growing Yakuza presence in Osaka mean something bad is about to happen.
Better get cookin'.

Osaka Street Stories:
Osaka Street Stories is an adventure module for the Legend Roleplaying Game System. Set in a magical version of Osaka, Japan, the story revolves around the mysterious box the PCs keep hidden beneath their shop. You all get to decide what's in it and why it's important (why you don't want to lose it)!

For those wholly unfamiliar with Legend, the game just exited Beta. The official game can be downloaded here for free: http://www.ruleofcool.com/get-the-game/

The characters are all level 4. If you prefer playing a premade character rather than making a character, I've provided short introductions to five premade characters for Osaka Street Stories below, and I can provide more information on request for each. I'll also be GMing and I can help and answer all questions. If you choose a premade character for ease of mechanics, you can feel free to swap out the fluff, and vice versa.

Introducing the Premade Cast:

Ken, Gnome Sage: A happy-go-lucky gnome and classic pyromancer, Ken is also no slouch at the negotiating table, and is capable of healing himself and his allies a little bit.

"Old Man" Nakamura, Human Paladin: Old Man Nakamura is a tough, surly alcoholic – all positive qualities when it comes to kicking butt. He is adept at both hitting and taking hits.

Kariya, Dwarf Rogue: Kariya Firebeard is a feisty dwarf who can bring down her enemies with a flurry of precise and deadly blows while dodging the counter-attack.

Ulluug, Demon Shaman: Ulluug Al-Gulullg, or “sharptopus” to his friends, is the resident kami of the okonomiyaki shop – a wellspring of shamanic magic and deadly claw attacks.

Rivkah, Halfling Monk: Rivkah is a contemplative halfling monk, though she prefers to contemplate things through the scope of her high-powered rifle. She can pick off attackers before they even get close.

What to Expect:
  • Fun (nothing too serious)
  • Pinata Enemies (items dropping like candy)
  • Crooked cops, vicious yakuza, ninja demon snipers, and more (what else do you want?!)

What I Expect:
  • Fun (have a good time, play fun characters, have fun with the box, and let me know if there's something specific you want out of the game)
  • Post Often (let's have a good time and solve the mystery surrounding the box! the module isn't very long, but let's keep up the pace)
  • Surprises (try things from an in-character perspective. if something falls outside the rules, we'll make it work. the rules cover a lot though)

How to Join:
I'll pick 4-5 players from those who apply. For your application, I just need the following:
1. Character Name
2. Race, Class/Tracks
3. "It's Like _____ Meets _____": What existing characters is yours similar to? Feel free to use links. You don't have to limit it to 2, but you also don't need to go over. Don't feel obligated to use 10 different references to highlight every nuance of your character. This is a top-level summary.
4. "A Little Bit Deeper": Provide a three-sentence history, two-sentence physical description, and a five-sentence personality description.
5. "What's in the Box?!": You guys will all collectively decide what's actually in the box once the players are selected, but for now say what you would have be in the box if it were up to you. You can explain your choice.
6. When can you post?: What time can you post (and what time zone is that)? How often can you post? Be realistic. Things come up. We get busy occasionally. Don't say, "Oh, I can post every day," if every other week you work late the days you'd normally post and every other other week (:P) you hit the beach if the weather is good.

A character sheet is optional. A lengthy background is neither required nor likely to help. This is a module, not a multi-year campaign.
If you're playing a premade character, you will still need to apply. It will be helpful to see how you interpret the character. And you can completely reinvent their fluff if you want as well if you just want the premade mechanics.
"You had a tough day at the office. So you come home, make
yourself some dinner, smother your kids, pop in a movie, maybe
have a drink. It's fun, right? Wrong. Don't smother your kids."
- The More You Know

Offline Greybender

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: [Legend] Osaka Street Stories
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 12:42:49 AM »
I must join this game, please include me as a possible player :D

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 01:55:32 AM »
  Legend!

Mind if I port River over since she's the same level? Would mostly just need to rebackground her...something Taoist most likely. Also if you have a change log for the past few revisions that would make this a breeze (can't check for differences right now - at work).

EDIT: New Character concept, cannibilizing the old statblock (still need tweeks).

1. Lena Luxfeld
2. Gnome Shaman 4 - Fast : Spellcasting (Shaman), Medium: Incantation, Slow (Shaman's Path): Bastion (Paladin)
3. "It's Like Lina Inverse Meets Tsunami Meets Aeris": Little kind blasty girl with a mysterious past. Also slighty odd.
4. History - Cooking is magic too! Having left her hidden mountain village at the tender age of 14, she enters Osaka to seek out the legendary Culinary Wizard that dwells there. After meeting the PCs, she challenges them to a cooking battle and loses. That was 1 year (i.e. she is now 15).
Description - Lena has light auburn hair with yellow eyes and usually wears a cheerful expression on her face. Her outfit of choice is a blue blouse and mini-skirt.
Personality - Scenario 1: "Let's all be friends! Wait, you don't wanna?  Then I guess I better call you an ambulance..."
Scenario 2: She stares at the cookies. She looks left, then right then slowly reaches out to the heavenly treat. Suddenly she hears a sound and pulls her hand back. "Oh hi there, ___-chan. N-no I wasn't trying to sneak a cookie again..."
Scenario 3: She sings to herself, putting up fliers. "Oh, I'm going to zap them~ Zap them 'til they're dead~ Going to be nothing but ashes from their toes to their head~" Seeing a stranger she smiles brightly and starts using her puppy dog eyes. "Oh hello there Grandpa-san! Do you want to come to our shop? It's the best one in town!"
Extra -
(click to show/hide)
5. The recipe for the greatest desert in the universe(?)
6. Usually at least once per 48 hours.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 06:46:13 PM by skydragonknight »
Hmm.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 10:44:44 AM »
1. Mayne Karaktur
2. Human, Rogue (ER/Serpent/Fortune's Friend/Path of Ancestors {FBI})
3. "It's Like Mat Cauthon Meets Narcissus"
4. Mayne knows that the universe revolves around him.  Why? Because he always wins.  The dice always fall in his favor, he always gets the cards, and he always cuts the right wire. What other people want, think, and feel is therefore irrelevant and can be ignored... though it's subconscious -- of course he's very humble and kind, right? Anyway, he's also the host of a late-night indie TV show called "Mayne's World", which airs live late at night from the shop's attic (he pays a portion of his salary at the shop back in rent).
5. The secret to eternal youth. One day, Mayne's world will come crashing down... having an elixir would help him pick up the pieces.
6. I'm on the site every day... I can probably post every 1-2 days or so, though I have recently acquired a small child to go with my other small child.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 09:18:02 PM by sirpercival »
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 10:57:42 AM »
I'm potentially interested, haven't had a chance to look at Legend 1.0 yet.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 11:37:46 AM »
In making this, I have noted a typo in the sentient construct table. :p

1. Character Name: Haku-DIM1
2. Race, Class/Tracks Sentient Construct/Monk (Sentient Construct, Discipline of the Crane, Discipline of the Dragon, Discipline of the Serpent [FBI])
3. "It's Like Subaru Meets Ranma". More punching, less magic. Physics optional. Probably gets quite a bit from Nono, too.
4. "A Little Bit Deeper": Haku was built for the sole purpose of proving that, in fact, it is possible to build a robot solely for the purpose of beating the hell out of people. This, of course, is not exactly high on the list of employability skills, so she ended up working in the Okonomiyaki shop instead. She's good at making cooking exciting... if only through excessive exuberance.
Overall, tall, thin, and she looks surprisingly light-weight. The creepy-pale skin, ankle-length white hair (completely usable as a whip, surely?), and complete lack of burning is a bit of a clue that there's something off here.
Despite being built to fight, Haku isn't that aggressive. She  would much rather use her abilities to rescue people or to entertain than fight... and she just doesn't think she's good enough, yet, to make a difference. So she puts her all into everything, no matter how minor it is. However, this has a clear and obvious downside: she often goes far beyond what is needed, leading to lots of overkill. Outcomes tend to be extreme success or failure just due to the sheer effort put into it all.
5. "What's in the Box?!": Magical WoMD. Always something that goes boom.
6. When can you post?: Err... honestly? Most any day, though I'm in enough PbP's that it might take a while for me to get around to writing for this one, so once every day or two. This will change come September, but that's a long way away. :p

This is a magic Japan. Someone will have built a robot girl. :lmao

Prize for working out who she's named after. >.>
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 04:01:33 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 11:39:19 AM »
@Greybender: I'll take a look at the concept you PM'd again after work. It sounds funny, but I saw the word "rules" in there, so I'll have to take another look.

@skydragonknight: You're welcome to port River over. I'll put together a summary of changes to her tracks from Beta to release early this evening after work.

@Nanshork: If there's anything I can help with, let me know. Don't feel rushed though. I haven't entirely decided, but I think I'm going to keep the ad open until Monday.

@sirpercival: Congrats on your small child! It can be redeemed for twelve alligators at the exchange booth! (You may need to catch the alligators, though, as it's really just more of an "alligator hole" if you care to be technical.)
- The More You Know

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 11:58:48 AM »
@Greybender: I've played beta so I've got a good basis of how the game works, I've just been too busy with work/non-work stuff to get a chance to even open the new pdf.

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 12:49:03 PM »
Oh hey, this thing! I'd port Benedict over, but I think I'll try for something different this time around.

1. Strell Arcyix
2. Elf, Ranger (Professional Soldier/A Reign of Arrows/Battle's Tempering/Discipline of the Serpent {FBI})
3. "It's Like Sterling Archer Meets Malcolm Reynolds"
4a. Strell supplements his job in the okonomiyaki shop by doing odd jobs for the yakuza but doesn't really discriminate between organizations. Even so, he might be able to get away with it if not for the fact that he tends to be immensely irritating. Work for Strell mostly consists of finding someone he hasn't pissed off yet and trying not to be present when his last employer (or landlord, or friend, or...) bursts into the shop holding a weapon.
4b. All high cheekbones and sharp-featured, Strell accents his general pointiness with a dark blue jacket and grey fatigues. Flinty blue eyes and neatly cropped black hair make it moderately difficult for him to blend into a crowd when trouble comes knocking.
4c. While he stops short of being downright aggressive, Strell is nonetheless prone to shooting his mouth off over nothing in particular. Naturally excitable, he'll often wax enthusiastic about trivial things. While he's not bad at what he does (particularly the bits involving elaborate traps), Strell hasn't learned not to count his chickens before they're hatched, and when things do go south, chances are Strell will be gloating right as they blow up in his face. He's fond of wordplay, quips, and clever insults, and using them is the best way to endear someone to him. Despite his abrasiveness, Strell is at heart a decent person, albeit one who breaks the law to earn some spare pocket change.
5. The box is the valuable bit. What's inside is just the decoy.
6. For the next two weeks things will be a bit spotty due to a lot of traveling, but I should be able to post from my phone daily, or at absolute worst, every other day. After that it's smooth sailing. (Eastern Time, UTC -05:00.)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 10:37:29 PM by Bozwevial »
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 03:26:52 PM »
SirP, after reading #5 on your application, please tell me your character also hosts a local TV show called "Mayne's World".  :lmao

I'm tempted to apply, but don't feel worthy after dropping Hunter's Moon...

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 03:30:44 PM »
SirP, after reading #5 on your application, please tell me your character also hosts a local TV show called "Mayne's World".  :lmao

Yes. As of now, he indeed does.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 03:48:30 PM »

Yes. As of now, he indeed does.

I had to read the character's name three times until I got it. No wonder it seems like the world revolves around him.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 03:51:45 PM »
Nans, do you have a Legend forum charsheet I can cannibalize?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 04:01:37 PM »
-Surreptitiously edits signup.-

Because you can never have enough punching.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 04:27:13 PM »
Nans, do you have a Legend forum charsheet I can cannibalize?

Actually, I do have one for the beta version.  I'll turn it into a template and then update it if needs be this afternoon when I get off of work and link it in this thread.

It pleases me when people use my sheets.   :)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 07:57:15 PM »
Okay, Legend character sheet is finished. It can be found here.

Childe, when you get a minute I'd appreciate it if you'd look the sheet over and tell me if there's anything that should be added/subtracted.

Offline Greybender

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 08:48:11 PM »
okay this is the other idea I had, if you find that concept unworkable. The one shot assassin Aine:

1. Aine Ainfean Avalon
2. Human(Irish), Shaman(Incantation, Shaman Spell casting, Assassin, True Mage)
3. "It's Like Mitzi McNinja Meets White mage meets T-X"
4. "A Little Bit Deeper":             
 Aine is a retired assasin, having been raised in an Irish Monastery devoted to fine pleasantries, medicine and murder, she quickly rose to the  top of its ranks and started doing dangerous missions, on one of them, she had fallen in love with the owner of a certain okonomiyaki shop, what followed was quite natural: a marriage, betrayal, assassination attempts, death of a loved one, lost limbs, forging in a cave and the  destruction of a monastery. She still runs her husbands okonomiyaki shop, picking up odd fellows from the streets as part time help.
 Red hair and green eyes, she is in her mid thirties 6 foot tall with an androgynous figure and artificial limbs. She is  a chain smoking, whiskey drinking, leather wearing, tattooed and pierced sweetheart.
There is something uncanny about her, she is caring, pleasant, nice and generally looks out for others, but all her moves seem to have a specific lack of a threat of murder. She likes to bake things and chat about them with customers, which, when they complain about them, are always surprised to still have head on them or a beating heart for that matter. She is rather extroverted, open and thoughtful and can sing the heck out of any metal and punk songs on karaoke evenings.
  She may act like she isn't a wimp, she may even look as if she isn't a wimp, but don't be fooled - she is NOT a wimp!
5. The little blue box is bigger on the inside.
6. I can post every other day[ Central european timezone], most likely not on fridays and/or thursdays, since i'm mostly active in the evenings.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 04:06:02 AM by Greybender »

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 09:54:51 PM »
@skydragonknight: You buy a sandwich. While the deli worker folds the sliced meats, you ask the clerk to break a five. The clerk stares at you funny because he's a log, then gives you your change.

(click to show/hide)

@VennDygrem: Don't beat yourself up over it. You're welcome to apply.

@Nanshork & everyone: It may just be easier to use the Legend Character Sheet and link it. We have it available on our Get the Game page: http://www.ruleofcool.com/get-the-game/
It will be updated again at some point to auto-calculate and all that, but for now it's still a handy and aesthetically neat sheet.
EDIT: This is a reminder though that character sheets are not required at this point.

@Everyone again: Make sure your entries have all the elements. There aren't a lot of elements, but for instance I saw one that had no physical description and not much in the way of a personality description. Feel free to edit your entries for a while. I'll likely close entries to make my decision next Monday and have that decision Wednesday

@Greybender: Took a look at the PM. In the interest of being fair to everyone, I'm going to stick to the RAW, which requires Smells Like Victory be used with attack actions, not attacks made for combat maneuvers.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 10:09:01 PM by Childe »
- The More You Know

Offline Greybender

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 10:09:48 PM »
[
@Greybender: Took a look at the PM. In the interest of being fair to everyone, I'm going to stick to the RAW, which requires Smells Like Victory be used with attack actions, not attacks made for combat maneuvers.

That's cool, is the other one sufficient, would you like me to add/change anything?

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 10:37:56 PM »
Edited the shorter placeholder into a full block. Everything requested in the first post should be present now.
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon