Author Topic: May be starting a Maptools game, possibly need players  (Read 25175 times)

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
Re: May be starting a Maptools game, possibly need players
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2013, 12:27:56 PM »
Sinfire, how do you feel about a human monk with the feat Magical Training?
"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down."

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
  • You have one round to give a rat's ass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2013, 01:08:37 PM »
I'll have to look at the augments more later...

Is getting an amulet of mighty fists with magical properties still an option, along with the augments?  Or are augments replacing it?

Augments are replacing it. However, do anticipate "Unique" weapons with old properties on them in addition to augment slots.

As far as your skill rules... you say if you have one of the skills in the brackets, you have the new skill.  You list *all*
knowledges and martial lore within a single skill (Lore).  Do you still take Lore ranks individually for each subcategory, or is it one singular giant skill now?  Also, why do some of the skills have asterisks next to them?  And when a skill says "Dex/Con" or whatever, I assume that means you can use either of those modifiers on it?

Lore skills are still separated by the original types (Religion, Arcana, etc). Class skills for Lore are identical to the original set (so a Warblade would be able to take Local, Martial, and History as class skills for the Lore skill, but not others).

The asterisked skills denote that they only have 1 key ability modifier, whereas the rest are dual-natured. If a skill says Dex/Con, you have to pick which ability modifier you use with that skill upon character creation (retraining can change this). This actually came up with Legerdemain in my last campaign: The DFA's player was playing a Factotum, and used Dex for that skill in order to double-up on the ability modifier.

EDIT: How do your skill rules work with synergy bonuses?  Is there a reason Inspect is Wis-only, when 2 of its 3 skills are Int-based originally?

Synergy bonuses have been hammered out, but they are on a Doc file. I'll post them when the party hits 2nd level. Inspect was originally just Search+Sense Motive until I realized I forgot Appraise, so I added that skill into Inspect. I've always felt that the Search skill should have been Wis-based, as Wisdom is the ability score that governs perception. I may end up switching Inspect and Perception's key ability modifiers though, now that you brought it up.

And have you considered/tried making a named server, rather than direct connect?  I don't know if it will help; all I know is I currently can connect to a named server for a different game, and the one I create for my game also works.  But I could not get your IP connect to work.  Maybe something else was wrong, I don't know.

I'm going to try the named server, provided I can figure it out.

Sinfire, how do you feel about a human monk with the feat Magical Training?

It's Forgotten Realms material, something I've very rarely ever allowed. I also know what tricks can be done with that feat (getting 9th level spells on a 20th level Fighter...), and would prefer it if that level of optimization stayed out.

If it is to get wand access without needing UMD/Manipulate Device, I would prefer you use Apprentice (DMG2) or Aereni Focus (PGtE). You are getting 2 bonus feats at 1st level after all.
Concerned about how moderation works here? Please PM this account.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2013, 02:32:09 PM »
How would you feel if I simply used it to qualify for a prestige class that required spellcasting?

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2013, 02:43:06 PM »
How would you feel if I simply used it to qualify for a prestige class that required spellcasting?

Which one are we talking about? And do remember that these modules stop at around 7th level.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2013, 03:06:51 PM »
I was considering Dragon Disciple

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2013, 03:37:59 PM »

I'll allow SLAs to count towards that PrC's spell prereqs. Any bonus spell slots granted by it instead grant additional daily uses of one of the SLAs used to qualify.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2013, 03:53:01 PM »
So not accepted there's no comment? XD

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2013, 03:58:42 PM »
So not accepted there's no comment? XD

Did I overlook something?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2013, 04:06:45 PM »
Could be worse. I could go for unarmed as well. Complete split between magic and DEATH BY BODIES. :lmao

At least that's unlikely as the relevant thing I'd most want to use that with probably wouldn't sit well. XD

Solo could do Monk, I could do Capoeirista, and you could do Unarmed Swordsage?  We'd be like the three musketeers...without the muskets.

This is the only thing that could tempt me to use unarmed right now, so it's incredibly unlikely.

... I want to use the meteor hammer in that PDF just because it's a damn meteor hammer. I should probably not pick weapons based on what seems most visually awesome.

Kind of.

... I am unreasonably amused by the thought of nobody having a weapon beyond their fists.

I think there was also a question about knowledges? Or did I miss the answer to that?

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2013, 04:17:32 PM »
Could be worse. I could go for unarmed as well. Complete split between magic and DEATH BY BODIES. :lmao

At least that's unlikely as the relevant thing I'd most want to use that with probably wouldn't sit well. XD

Solo could do Monk, I could do Capoeirista, and you could do Unarmed Swordsage?  We'd be like the three musketeers...without the muskets.

This is the only thing that could tempt me to use unarmed right now, so it's incredibly unlikely.

... I want to use the meteor hammer in that PDF just because it's a damn meteor hammer. I should probably not pick weapons based on what seems most visually awesome.

Kind of.

... I am unreasonably amused by the thought of nobody having a weapon beyond their fists.

I think there was also a question about knowledges? Or did I miss the answer to that?

I answered the Skill question earlier. And that class is very much out of my comfort zone (his usually are, although I respect the amount of time and effort he puts into them).

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2013, 11:55:29 PM »

I'll allow SLAs to count towards that PrC's spell prereqs. Any bonus spell slots granted by it instead grant additional daily uses of one of the SLAs used to qualify.
In that case, perhaps I can take Spell Hand?

Likely build: Monk 3 with the Invisible Fist ACF, Fighter 2, then Dragon Disciple 2
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 12:06:18 AM by Solo »

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2013, 05:49:02 PM »

In that case, perhaps I can take Spell Hand?

Likely build: Monk 3 with the Invisible Fist ACF, Fighter 2, then Dragon Disciple 2

Yeah, CArc is in the list of allowed books.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2013, 05:51:37 PM »
I... have very little idea what I'm actually doing, and I don't think I'd really contribute much given what Solo's doing, so I guess I'm out. Sorry.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2013, 07:47:20 AM »
I... have very little idea what I'm actually doing, and I don't think I'd really contribute much given what Solo's doing, so I guess I'm out. Sorry.

It's no problem. Sorry to hear you're bowing out, thanks for showing interest.

Alright, I've opened up the room again. Same password, RPtools alias: Forgotten Forge SiFir. Try connecting through that instead of the IP connection. And do make sure you're using version 1.3.b89, as that may have been a factor in us not being able to connect last time.

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2013, 07:59:13 AM »
Connection timed out, like last week.  I have no idea what's wrong...

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2013, 07:59:46 AM »

Have you checked your firewall?

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2013, 08:05:17 AM »

No.  Is there any guidance on how to do that?

I thought it might be my firewall, but...on Sundays I connect using the exact same maptools version for a different game.  And then I actually create servers, also using 89, for my own game.  So I don't understand why it doesn't work for your server.  Are other people able to connect?

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2013, 08:10:08 AM »

No.  Is there any guidance on how to do that?

I thought it might be my firewall, but...on Sundays I connect using the exact same maptools version for a different game.  And then I actually create servers, also using 89, for my own game.  So I don't understand why it doesn't work for your server.  Are other people able to connect?

This video might help. Skip ahead to the half-way point.

Are you using the right port (51234)?

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2013, 08:29:16 AM »
I am.

And the video basically just said to put maptools on the list of allowed programs.  But I don't even see maptools (or rptools) on the list at all, checked or unchecked, nor on the list of options when I try to change settings to add another program...  I do have Java allowed through.

Video also mentioned about opening a port on a wireless router, but I think that's only for the person creating the server.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2013, 08:37:32 AM »
I am.

And the video basically just said to put maptools on the list of allowed programs.  But I don't even see maptools (or rptools) on the list at all, checked or unchecked, nor on the list of options when I try to change settings to add another program...  I do have Java allowed through.

Video also mentioned about opening a port on a wireless router, but I think that's only for the person creating the server.

And that last part turns out to be the problem. I'm working on fixing it, but I'm a complete amatuer when it comes to network troubleshooting.