Author Topic: Trampling PrC requisites?  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
Trampling PrC requisites?
« on: August 13, 2017, 06:51:42 PM »
So a question came by the other day about triple threats (level 9 divine and arcane spells and level 9 powers). I knew there were ways to do this, so one quick google search later I found a few builds that should, in theory, let me get there. As I thought, it was all about squeezing in as many theurge-like classes into as little space as possible.

But one thing caught my curiosity. There were mentions of entering Sublime Chord with a single bard level and as soon as level 3 or 4, but aside from the spells, the prereqs for SC state 10 ranks in Perform along with other skills. How is it possible to bypass the skill caps like that? Were those simply overlooked? The typical cheese for going over the casting prereqs is well-known (Sanctum Spell, Versatile Spellcaster + Heighten Spell, etc.), but this one seems a bit more esoteric.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
Re: Trampling PrC requisites?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 07:15:30 PM »
Primary Contact would let you enter slightly earlier, but it's a 2 feat investment.

Bard1/Wizard5 with other levels qualifies for Sublime Chord.  There are other ways too as you mentioned (Sanctum Spell, etc.).

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 07:19:43 PM »
The only thing I can find is mention of a Feat in Cityscape that increases your max rank in a specific skill by 1 so it becomes Lvl+4 max instead of Lvl+3. Course no one actually names the feat and I don't want to open a book -_-'

Best case you're only being saved 1 level on making skill rank prereqs. At the cost of a feat. Definitely not a good deal imo.

Ah, some one got the feat name while I was typing  :lmao

Edit: Apparently there is some undecided cheese about Inspire Greatness' bonus HD and how it's lack of explanation could lead towards getting skill points and increasing max ranks in a skill based on gaining those bonus HD and how losing levels doesn't actually say you lose skill points or decrease your max ranks allowed and only that you take stacking penalties to skill checks (among other things).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 07:24:32 PM by ketaro »

Offline Gray Lensman

• Lurker
  • I Don't Need No Stinkin Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 08:48:38 PM »
ya know, there should be a big block of cheese emoticon, lol.

All sarcasm aside, if you do nail down a build that nets you all three I for one would really like to see it.
IMNSHO and YMMV as always, Dan
"A surefire way to avoid mistakes - don't do anything." Dale H. Besterfield
"A person who never makes mistakes seldom makes anything else." Christine Friberg

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 03:54:30 AM »
Wizard 5/Bard 1/Ardent 3/Ur-Priest 1/Sublime Chord 1/Mystic Theurge 8/Psychic Theurge 1

Gets you 9's in Arcane and Divine, and I think 2 4th level Powers (with Practiced Manifester).  If you can cheese your way in to Sublime Chord with fewer Wizard levels, you can get more Ardent levels and thus higher level Powers. 

If you can figure out how to get your race to become "True Beholder", you could use Beholder Mage instead of Sublime Chord.  That would free up space for 6 more levels of manifesting, getting you 7th level powers. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.