Author Topic: Improving Daggerspell Stance  (Read 3074 times)

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
Improving Daggerspell Stance
« on: August 02, 2016, 12:30:12 AM »
The spell's here.

Namely, I'm morbidly curious about ways to buff that attack/damage bonus without dipping into magic items. I know that Fell Energy Spell would increase that to +4/+4 if you happened to be Undead... but I'm blanking on other ways to boost the bonus.

Can anyone think of anything that isn't "dual-wield Manyfanged Daggers", because that's rather expensive.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Improving Daggerspell Stance
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 12:59:48 AM »
Can anyone think of anything that isn't "dual-wield Manyfanged Daggers", because that's rather expensive.
Ha, beat me to it. :p

Well Fell Energy is of course a good bet other than that there really isn't anything to boost the Spell's bonuses directly. You can use a Metamagic loop to add on extra effects and improve them. Like Energy Substitution(fire) and "A blistering spell deals an extra 2 points of fire damage per level of the spell. In addition to the spell's normal effect, any creature that fails its save against a blistering spell takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls and checks until the beginning of your next turn.". There are also a couple dozen ways to increase elemental damage in D&D using Metamagics too. Other than that, like any other TWFer just look into Sneak Attack.

However since it triggers off Fighting Defensibly (FD) you can hook into that. CW has a sword that increases the AC bonus when FD'ing and the MiC has two items, both use Swift Actions through, that do the same, if I'm not mistaken Dragon Mag has a named Bracers of Armor that also chips in there, and finally there is a Trait and a couple of Feats that helps out too. You can also pick up Combat Expertise and there is a bunch of stuff that hooks into that too so in short you really shouldn't have an AC problem once you can afford some choices.

Since the Spell Resistance scales off your CL boosting that would help out too; Consumptive Field ftw.

Edit - Oh and don't forget the Arcane Duelist. Dexterous Attack is +Attack/-Damage, combined with Expertise you'll have a +AC/-Damage which is generally pretty easy to offset, specially when you'll gian more AC than you lose damage and you can pick up a bunch of Sneak Attack.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 01:06:34 AM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 01:45:32 AM »
One problem with stacking damage onto the spell: It has a range of Personal.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 04:50:51 PM »
Which pretty much just means it's Persist-able to me.

The italic text in my last post is actually a quote, you should read it.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 04:58:33 PM »
Which pretty much just means it's Persist-able to me.

The italic text in my last post is actually a quote, you should read it.

I did.

However, it would deal damage to you. If you failed a save against the spell (which, luckily, it lacks one), you'd take the penalty.

You're the target, after all. The target is literally 'you'.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 05:52:09 PM »
However, it would deal damage to you. If you failed a save against the spell (which, luckily, it lacks one), you'd take the penalty.
Blistering's damage is added to an existing amount, not that the Spell now deals X to it's Target like how Bo3T modifies a Spell. It's why you don't nuke your self for using it with Wreath of Flames and such.

I think your attempts to shoot it down would go better if you pushed saying Daggerspell doesn't deal damage but provides a bonus to damage rolls. But while it sounds different I'm not sure that'd carry. Like a +1 Enhancement modifies damage rolls but it's still written out the same as Spell Damage is and we know that when you Empower a Spell you include any +1/die effects. So there really isn't a good reason to think +2 to damage & +2 to damage rolls must be treated as two different things, In any case if you want to refuse it that's not my problem.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 05:57:32 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 01:41:30 AM »
Regarding boosting stuff, all I can think of so far is to Arcane Thesis it and then pump CL with Earth spell, heightening it with Invisible+Cooperative+Sanctum Spell, then... pretty expensive way to add +3 SR.

Actually adding damage? How about reach+persistent+blistering/consecrated/corrupt/fell weaken blades of fire on the daggers first? Energy sub cold+lord of the uttercold blades of fire?

Apathy is ...ah screw it.
My Homebrew