Offline dna1

• Honorary Mod
  • Sage of Herbology
    • View Profile
Guilds
« on: August 01, 2013, 11:42:14 PM »
Factions
(click to show/hide)

Those are the original factions/guilds etc I was working on for the high arcana setting. located here http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?board=170.0

We can rework these as needed for waterdeep.  btw, go ahead and send me a PM with the login/pw info for that google doc.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 05:55:37 AM by professorgear »
Roses are Red. Gaming is fun. You're over encumbered and cannot Run.

Offline professorgear

• Honorary Mod
  • Vian
    • View Profile
Re: Guilds
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 07:08:30 AM »
As you doubtless have noticed, I've reorganized the forum quite a bit. I've split a number of posts off of the brainstorming thread to make some new threads. I thought the subject of guilds could be a pretty big one, so I've made it into one of the new threads.

Before I get started, I have a question for you: how attached are you to your guilds? Before I started reading City of Splendors: Waterdeep, I told you to go ahead and post all your guilds, thinking that we would need guilds. Now that I've finished reading it, I've discovered that Waterdeep already has 43 guilds. Now, just because it has 43 guilds doesn't mean we can't add yours to the total or even replace some original ones with yours. Which is why I asked the question: depending on how attached you are to your guilds, I'll put more or less effort into integrating them into the game.

I think I've already implicitly said my aim with this game, but just to clear things up I'll say it explicitly. Even as fleshed-out as Waterdeep is with the published material, there are plenty of gaps that can be filled in and plenty of details that can be added by you and me. For instance, if you were to take a look at the map I keep on mentioning, the majority of the buildings are unlabeled. Even though there are 43 guilds already, each one has only a few or even no NPS statted out. So there's plenty of room for creative contributions from you and me. My preference then is to add things to the canon, so to speak, rather than take away or to alter. We can do the last two things if we feel it's vital for the game, but I'd prefer to avoid it as a rule.

Having said all that, I'll assume for now that you're at least enough attached to your guilds that you want to see some effort made for their integration into the game. So, what will be following is a first stab at doing that. Now, I'm making the effort because I've read the aforementioned book and know what the 43 guilds are about. However, if you want to play a more active part in this you may want to read the chapter on guilds yourself, or at least the guilds that I will reference below (in which case CTRL+F to search for the guild name should lead you to the right spot). The book can be downloaded for free from here: http://www.4shared.com/office/RRhamNzX/City_of_Splendors_-_Waterdeep_.htm. However, as I think I mentioned at some point, we may want to approach our game design in such a way that each of us focuses on the things we're interested in and good at. For instance, you're better at the art, and I want you to have a free hand in it. You in turn may be less interested in the game's cosmology, IDK. If you get disinterested in a particularly area of design, just let me know. I'll probably keep posting just because this site has become a repository for our game (and so that you can at least see where I'm going), but maybe at that point you'll take a more minor role in said area of design.

Anyways, let me know. For now, I will post my stab at integration, as much as it's possible:

(click to show/hide)

Anyways, let me know what you think, if you've read the guild chapter of the book, and so on.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 07:10:47 AM by professorgear »

Offline dna1

• Honorary Mod
  • Sage of Herbology
    • View Profile
Re: Guilds
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 11:57:15 PM »
I haven't read the guild chapter in the book.
I suppose it doesn't really matter if we use the ones I made or the ones already in the book. We can just choose a few that will be more prevalent and flesh them out.

I like your idea of the NPC Geometer you mentioned under the "inverted pyramid" section.

And I find the grammar Nazi-ism for the Dreaming Apothecary funny  :lol

I guess overall lets just infuse these with the waterdeep guilds listed. That could work well.
Roses are Red. Gaming is fun. You're over encumbered and cannot Run.