Author Topic: Look at this thing I found in Pathfinder! The bad feats/spells/etc thread  (Read 128639 times)

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
This is less bad, and more 'what the fuck'.

Souldrinker, a prestige class you enter at 8th.  With 2 levels in it you can make any amount of magic items for free.  Takes time still.  And you 'only' get like around 5-10,000gp of free magic item goldcost per day unless you minmax it (and why wouldn't you).  This is one of the most straightforward ways to get free magic items i've ever seen.

I feel like this is a good way to make a villain with a stupid amount of magic items that the players won't use because they are all powered by souls.

Offline Rejakor

• I'm new!
    • View Profile

I feel like this is a good way to make a villain with a stupid amount of magic items that the players won't use because they are all powered by souls.

Well technically they're powered by the souldrinker touching himself negatively over and over again, but like, that's also somewhat icky if you phrase it right.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile

Well technically they're powered by the souldrinker touching himself negatively over and over again, but like, that's also somewhat icky if you phrase it right.

I thought we already did blood money + fabricate?

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
its a another way to do it, that isn't as well known as Blood Money
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
its a another way to do it, that isn't as well known as Blood Money

*insert long-winded argument about people being forced to sell themselves to survive in this economy*

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Rolling a boulder up a hill
    • View Profile
Blood Money is apparently a Rise of the Runelords specific spell which comes from a single rare spellbook, but databases of spells have a way of stripping such context. Anyway, that doesn't really stop Sorcerers from spontaneously learning the spell or Psychics using the mnemonic esoterica power, and so forth.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 11:21:26 AM by Power »

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
This is less bad, and more 'what the fuck'.

Souldrinker, a prestige class you enter at 8th.  With 2 levels in it you can make any amount of magic items for free.  Takes time still.  And you 'only' get like around 5-10,000gp of free magic item goldcost per day unless you minmax it (and why wouldn't you).  This is one of the most straightforward ways to get free magic items i've ever seen.

Looks like it doesn't really have much of a limit.  You can only have so much stored up at once, but if you can keep inflicting negative levels, you keep recharging that pool as much as you like.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
the shoony 2e ancestry

pug people made by Aroden
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
PF2E should be a new thread, I think, and probably not in the 3.X subforum.

SHRUG ON (COMBAT)
Source Melee Tactics Toolbox pg. 15
You can throw on the most important element of your armor in a flash.

Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +1, medium armor proficiency.

Benefit: As a full-round action, you can shrug yourself into the largest and most protective section of a suit of armor with which you are proficient. The armor does not grant any magical benefits in this state, and its armor check penalty and maximum Dexterity bonus to AC are both 2 worse than normal. When donned using this feat, medium armor grants a +3 armor bonus, and heavy armor grants a +5 armor bonus. Light armor grants no armor bonus when donned using this feat.
You can tell a zealous editor got ahold of this feat and decided that equipping armor as a full-round action was overpowered (somehow) and went ahead "rebalancing" it before publication. The result is this ridiculous waste of space. Seriously, how does paizo manage to hire people this incompetent?

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
seems dumb, esp flavor-wise since some armors are just a single piece, like a chain shirt.
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
Because Pathfinder was written by "Stop Having Fun Guys" in the first place.  Play their way and avoid wrongbadfun.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
i thought it was by the "hey, this big company is leaving a bunch of their customers behind, lets make their product better and steal them" guys
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Nanashi

• it means "he who has no name" in a foreign tongue.
    • View Profile
The same book has the Armiger's Armor, which can be dawned instantly and has only a 2000 GP premium.

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
The funniest thing is that if they took out all the penalties, it still wouldn't be worth taking anyway. It would only see use on rare occasion for Brawlers and the like with their martial flexibility.

Right now the only use for it is to exploit Fungal Blisters (preferably Maximized) to do extreme amounts of damage, although the Wizard casting list has Serren's Swift Girding anyway.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 08:57:09 PM by Power »

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
i thought it was by the "hey, this big company is leaving a bunch of their customers behind, lets make their product better and steal them" guys
They can be two things, or even three!  But they only get the favored class bonus for one of them.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim

Like most rebellions, they eventually become not only the thing they were rebelling against, but worse than the original....

They failed to learn from history, and failed to stick to their original goals. And so, they will continue to make lots of money by failing the community, unless and until they pull a TSR 2e and crumble from within.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
Right now the only use for it is to exploit Fungal Blisters (preferably Maximized) to do extreme amounts of damage, although the Wizard casting list has Serren's Swift Girding anyway.

have a set of Double-Plated Armored Coat (or Erutaki Coat), which you can Swift Gird to explode your blisters and then as a move action remove the armor.

each blister dealing 1d6+1 per 2 CL (no max) is pretty nasty. skyrocketing your CL beforehand can make things really nasty (like Coven Caster+Army Across Time).

Empower Spell is a pretty solid choice too, since it affects both the blister numbers and the damage numbers.

Like most rebellions, they eventually become not only the thing they were rebelling against, but worse than the original....

They failed to learn from history, and failed to stick to their original goals. And so, they will continue to make lots of money by failing the community, unless and until they pull a TSR 2e and crumble from within.

agreed
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 02:06:15 PM by zook1shoe »
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Look at this thing I found in Pathfinder! The bad feats/spells/etc thread
« Reply #237 on: September 08, 2020, 04:30:24 PM »
UNSACTIONED DETECTION
Source Ultimate Magic pg. 158
You can focus your ability to detect evil for more practical or mundane purposes

Prerequisites: Detect evil class feature.

Benefit: As a swift action, you can focus the clarity granted by your detect evil ability to heighten your awareness of other things. This gives you a +10 sacred bonus on Perception and Sense Motive checks for one round. This expends your use of the detect evil class ability for the next 24 hours.
Give up your ability to detect evil for 24 hours in exchange for a single round of +10 to Perception and Sense Motive at the low price of an entire feat. Seriously, who writes this crap?

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 20, 2020, 12:59:34 PM »
Here is an incredible abomination of a feat:

ANIMAL FEROCITY (COMBAT)
Source Ultimate Wilderness pg. 106
When cornered and wounded, you fight like a feral beast.

Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +3, ferocity racial ability.

Benefit: When your hit points are reduced below 0, you can make attacks, but you take a –5 penalty on each attack roll.

All downside, zero upside. Yep, Paizo has done it. They printed a feat where not having it is strictly better than having it. Definitely the result of a zealous editor nerfing a feat in multiple directions until it becomes worse than useless.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 21, 2020, 03:07:23 AM »
"Hello sir, have you heard of our lord & savior, Diehard?"
Like, come on.