Author Topic: Chapter 1: Expedition  (Read 22655 times)

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
  • Organizations are imaginary.
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 1: Expedition
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2013, 04:51:04 PM »
(click to show/hide)

CaraVela falls silent and is instantly composed when Singorn enters the room, a model of decorum and respect. It’s clearly genuine, and her eyes are shining with pleasure that Singorn has graced the assemblage with his presence. She lets go of the flute and it unravels into shadow and light, dissipating. She waits for Lord Kensington, her senior at the Observatory, attending on him to allow him to speak first to Singorn, then she takes her turn after some of the others respond as well. Her Common speech continues to be a trace archaic, sprinkled with words and an elegance of style that have passed out of fashion in most quarters.

I am deeply grateful as always for your continuing hospitality to me, my Lord. Dwelling in your place remains my greatest pleasure, and I hope my efforts have given you some measure of satisfaction in return.

This gift you have given to me… to all of us… it continues to unfold in greater and greater ways, delight after delight. A flower bud opening to reveal itself petal by petal. Some of us have even unfolded into two creatures, in varying degrees of separation that I can see… or even more.
(click to show/hide)
If there is some way I can serve you better with it, you have only to instruct me as to what I might do.

CaraVela approaches Singorn gently, dropping into a curtsy so deep that her knee is lower than her feet, and nearly touching the floor. If he allows it, she bows her head as she takes his hand in hers and brushes the back of his hand with her lips in a sign of her commitment to service, then backs away, floating low, before she straightens and stands. The shadows around and beneath her flee toward the corners of the room and the light thickens around her in a faint cloud of Radiance as she touches her fingers to her own lips, savoring the soft kiss of loving service to the great One who has given her a home, opening his realm to her these many years.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 04:39:05 PM by MetroMagic »

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2013, 04:53:53 PM »
After speaking to the new arrival, Merrion held his piece, enjoying the music. He had rarely heard its like. A simple reel at a dance in his childhood was about the extent of his musical knowledge and this was something different entirely. He listened intently until the piece finished and continued listening as the conversation resumed, glad that the Centurion's interlude seemed to have calmed tempers and and created a congenial atmosphere. Good Centurions were truly the heart and spine of any military force and this one seemed outstanding.

When Sigorn entered Merrion came to a relaxed, not quite military, attention and offered a salute slightly different from the standard, though its specifics were hidden beneath his robes. He maintained his silence, content to let the others answer the King's question. Several of them seemed to have greater facility with words than he did and letting each member handle the tasks that suited them was a key part of working in a unit.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2013, 05:13:37 PM »
As the door opened and the God-King entered through it, Sul dropped to one knee in a bow. He stayed like that, head bowed for a while, until he realized that the King had moved and no others had taken the knee. Upon his realization, he felt foolish and stood rather hastily, moving to one side of the room. "We have started to become acquainted, my Lord." He wasn't sure what to say, or how to act; he had been trying for a while now to get involved with the court, and he hadn't enough time to really learn the proper way to conduct business with the King. So he just stood, attentively, trying to take his cue off of the behavior of the others. But they all reacted so differently; some with awe and what might have been fear, caution, complete calm and casual chat. How strange these people were.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 03:28:43 AM by Flay Crimsonwind »
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

Offline DragoonWraith

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2013, 11:59:21 PM »
Liltar doesn't precisely relax her pose, but her head is raised proudly, she smiles darkly, and her eyes narrow at Singorn. "Such magnificent gifts you've given them. So loudly have you distributed them," and as she continues her smirk opens to bare some teeth, "so where are mine? The gifts you have given them we have given ourselves for longer than you have ruled this place; they are not yours to give."
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 12:01:36 AM by DragoonWraith »
Legend contributing author

Currently playing Heroes Reborn – Team M.A.I.N.G.A.U.C.H.E.

Some homebrew, more homebrew

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2013, 01:52:55 AM »
Blasphemer!  Bruce cries as he leaps to his feet, rounding on Liltar. If His Grace claims credit for what has happened to us, then surely that is the truth.  My Lord, just speak the word and I will gladly teach this arrogant foreigner her place.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline DragoonWraith

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2013, 10:08:04 AM »
Now Liltar really is smiling, lots of teeth showing, but she's still focused on Singorn.

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2013, 11:14:06 AM »
CaraVela holds up her hand to halt him, gazing at Bruce with a trace of sadness in her eyes. Peace, Bruce.

Let us not dishonor Singorn’s intention for us to work together by beginning in conflict.

Liltar’s reactions to those around her come from lack of knowledge about who they really are. Violence will not give this to her… except perhaps about yourself, if that is how you prefer to be known.

If she knew Singorn as I do, as many of us do, she would not react thus. And she knows nothing of us, to trust our judgment of him, though she can see it plainly in our reactions.

I expect she may be angry or scornful with me for defending her, since she may feel she needs no defense from a stranger, but… that too is because she knows nothing of me, and does not know I understand deeply how difficult and dangerous it is to live in a land among strangers who do not understand you and assume the worst about your differences.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 04:40:16 PM by MetroMagic »

Offline DragoonWraith

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2013, 12:49:13 PM »
Liltar is, as predicted, scornful. "I spoke accurately. The good king lavished you with gifts, but none were given to me; we merely witnessed the gift-giving and decided to see how generous he truly was. What, did the god think that only those to whom gifts were given would hear his calling? He was quite loud....

"You are his honored confidants, well-tested and long-loyal. You have reciprocated on your gifts with service. I have been given nothing, nor have I long served, but I..."
Here, Liltar's teeth grind a little, "I would serve for a gift of a kind with those that these have already been given, a soul to which we have no claim as these had no claim to theirs. And indeed already have I offered one minor service: warning. We are but few of many who were stirred by the god-king's calling, for whom no call was intended."

This speech was clearly at least somewhat practiced and preplanned, and for those who can see invisible things, Yára can be seen providing cues and pushing Liltar along in it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 12:59:18 PM by DragoonWraith »

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2013, 01:23:42 PM »
And as suddenly as it had come, the peace in wake of the musical performance was gone again. Are these women going to take offense at every new development in our mission? Are they just making trouble for the sake of it? Or do they have a legitimate grievance here? If what she says is true, about herself, the ghostly presence that attends her, the rest of us and the King, then... well, honestly, then it is a private matter between these people and Sigorn.

Merrion steps forward, raising his hands, palms out, and speaks to Liltar. "I am hearing the edges of a complicated conversation here. A conversation that really only concerns our King and your people. If that conversation is to be had fully and frankly, perhaps it should take place apart from the rest of us?"

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2013, 07:14:54 PM »
The God-king stands, suddenly stern, hand outstretched to halt the conversation.  He frowns at Liltar, then first turns to Bruce.

"While I appreciate your zeal and loyalty, young one, I do not need your protection in this instance.  This one has a perceived grievance with me which I must address.  Please calm yourself while I do so."

Then he focuses again on Liltar, and the Worldhewn endures a level of scrutiny which she is nearly unprepared for.  The force of his gaze and will is nearly overwhelming, as though the entirety of her essence is being painlessly vivisected and examined.  Then the pressure lessens, and he nods slowly. "My apologies, lady Liltar, I had to... make certain of your loyalties.

Your grievance is based on a fundamental, and faulty assumption.  I did not, how did you say, 'lavish them with gifts'.  That was not the purpose of my actions.  Rather, it was a beacon, one whose purpose was to call both the ancestral spirits, and those which had the capacity to be vessels for them, to me.  Your presence here is proof of its success; the fact that you were previously joined, without my intervention is irrelevant.

As for gifts... For that which I am going to ask of you, of all of you, there will be suitable compensation.  If any of you have specific requests, I will do what I can to honor them... Liltar included.  Please, I ask that the rest of you do not hold her tone of voice against her; she is as necessary to my plans as each of you.

Are there any other issues which any of you would like to raise, before we get to the purpose of this meeting?"

I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2013, 11:10:47 PM »
CaraVela listens carefully to Liltar, and watches Liltar closely during Singorn’s examination. Then she smiles when Singorn mentions compensation. Ah. Perhaps therein lies a part of what is not yet known about each other, by either of us, Liltar: what is the relationship between gifts and service.

I cannot speak for the others here, but I do not serve Singorn for what he gifts to me.

I came here long ago only seeking a place of respite, to dwell in peace, mutually with those around me. This was such a place, and over time I realized its source. I stayed not because of what Singorn gave to me, but because of what I saw he gave to others: peace and security in his land; we are like-minded.

There are many who choose ill for others; Singorn chooses to stand against the ill-willed not because of what he hopes to gain from his people in service, but because it is in his character to do so, to take good care of his people. So I stand with him. Not for any hope of personal gain from gifts, but because it is in my character to do so.

Yes, he does gift those around him, and we gift him as well, but it is not a barter of service for service, like a transaction of commerce for personal gain. It is a sharing of care.

It may seem as if I consider my relationship with Singorn as equals; I shall clarify. I do not consider myself Singorn’s equal in power, of course. Yet each of us here is Singorn’s equal in another sense, in that each of us may choose to act from what is in the good of all, or to act from what would profit us individually.

Liltar, I may have clarified for you the relationship between gifts and service for what they mean to me: nothing, except perhaps tools to aid our mutual cause in mutual service, though I may delight in a gift personally and feel pleasure toward the giver for it – but not for recompense.

I would like to know your situation better, to understand you better, in the relationship between gifts and service. Here is how it seems to me; I treat you with honor in speaking plainly, as best I may.

It seems that among your people you consider yourselves apart from Singorn and his realm. You see gifts given but you had them already. Your people sense that something on a grand scale is underway, and seek to play a part, but… here I am not at all clear, as to why you would participate. You seem to have a strong sense of self, and of heritage, and so the barter of gift for service that you just offered seems like insufficient motivation in itself… I infer that you test Singorn’s character to discern if he is sensitive to the particulars of your people and therefore worthy of your service, and perhaps he has just proved himself to you; but inference is unreliable in so delicate a matter among creatures who do not know each other well.

I offer that you may correct my ignorance. I would not burden you with a request, it is an offer; I am sure you know the difference.

I also offer to speak directly with Yára, who I can see has much to say but till now has only made herself known through you. Yára seems to me to be reticent about direct contact, perhaps she did not anticipate such an offer, so I will respect her privacy and not shock her by speaking directly with her, unless she first gives permission through you. Perhaps she will accept that as a sign of the care I will take in speaking with her.

And… if Yára chooses to speak to all, I offer to her to broadcast her thought by relay, as well. If she doubts my accuracy you, Liltar, could verify it for her. Others here, also of dual nature, can speak for themselves; Yára may not have voice to do so except to you, but I offer to give her that voice if she desires it.

CaraVela turns to Singorn before looking back at Liltar and Yára. My lord, with your permission, I thought to raise the issue of voice with Yára before we began, so that she could choose to participate more fully.

CaraVela’s expression is open and calm, not at all guarded, waiting to find out what happens next. She clearly has no idea whether Liltar, or Yára, will give her an explosion, or a conversation, or anything between, or… something completely different... or nothing at all. They may even disagree with each other, and she’ll have two reactions to deal with.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 04:41:10 PM by MetroMagic »

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2013, 02:27:54 AM »
Bruce seems to visibly deflate, thoroughly rebuked by the God-King's admonishment. Without a word, he bows low, first before Singorn and then again to Liltar.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2013, 03:29:27 AM »
Confused by the aggressive one's stance (so bold, for such an imperfect little creature; he resolved to investigate her vigor and purpose at a later time) and speech to the God King, for a flashing moment, Sul was paralyzed with indecision. He could not react with such fury as the large one; indeed, he knew not where the beast had come from, but it seemed to him to be far older than this good King's machinations. More and more, he wondered if the King were not one of the pure folk, with plans as long as the Old One's were legendary for being. He shook off the daze of confusion that had presented itself as the King spoke. He hung on the words, waiting for something of wisdom and serenity, and although none came he was not in doubt of the King's greatness. Unsure of what to say that would be significant, though sure that a lack of response would be rude when asked a question, Sul said simply, "I have no issues, great King." He felt silly, saying only that, but what else could one say to one so great? Especially as insignificant in comparison as he was to the Great One.
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

Offline Darkone

• Lurker
  • This message approved by Desus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2013, 09:50:03 AM »
"There are no issues here, my Lord," Johnathan replies, straightening up. "Our dealings with you have always been pleasant and positive; I place my complete trust in your choices." His eyes slide over Liltar for a moment.

"Those that are new to this world always require a time of adjustment. I believe she will adapt just fine," he continues, words either a compliment or a challenge... or possibly both.

Throughout everything, Celia simply stands loosely at attention, hands clasped in front of her. The shift is dramatic; her bubbly, slightly predatory presence drowned under a demure, controlled one not out of place at a fancy dinner.

#9CC2DA So that I don't need to keep grabbing this code again.

Offline DragoonWraith

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2013, 02:03:55 PM »
Liltar smirked, allowing the others to voice any grievances as they were invited to do. CaraVela's speech got a roll of the eyes, Bruce's bow wasn't acknowledged at all, and Johnathan's comment about adjusting got a very dim look indeed. When all had spoken, she simply asked, "If you know my loyalty, do you know that which I seek? Can you provide it?"

Yára did not appear to respond to CaraVela's invitation at all.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 10:55:03 AM by DragoonWraith »

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2013, 03:06:53 PM »
Taking Liltar’s roll of the eyes as an answer from both Liltar and Yára, and seeing no other reaction from Yára’s invisible form, CaraVela shifts her attention from them and floats over to her old friend Lord Kensington, smiling down at him and leaning in against him slightly in a friendly, comfortable gesture as she turns back toward the confrontation between Singorn and Liltar. Once CaraVela turns around toward the center of the solarium again, she floats slightly to her right an inch or two, tilting to settle in against Kensington’s side more securely without obscuring his view.

The combat-minded, certainly the professional soldiers and agents present, likely will not miss the fact that however comfortable in friendship the two of them may be, CaraVela has just stepped between Lord Kensington and the continuing conflict, and has quite carefully positioned herself to shield him from whatever explosion might happen, while not blocking the Astronomer’s wand-hand.

Offline Harald

• wielding a 30 Tons Tank as an improvised flail.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2013, 06:11:56 PM »
There is a time for everything, including to complain to a God-King ; but that moment was not now, especially when there is not much to complain about.
So, the Centurio stayed silent, still at attention.
<If you say anything about Plot Exposition  or any other silliness, I will find a way to strangle you to death.> he growled, mentally.
<Or about the women among us. Liltar and her spirit might hear you, and she looks like to be the kind to know how to do clever things to your kidneys, so... be. fucking. quiet.>
Especially now that they both share kidneys, and that Hieronymus did not want to be ever again hurt there, thank you very much...
"-Lady-Captain, we detect 20 hostile vessels against us,  and Erasmus Haarlock's Spear of Destiny ! What are your orders ?
-RAMMING SPEED !

final result : 6 slaughts vessels, 4 imperial frigates, 2 imperial cruisers destroyed. Haarlock sent into the warp. 0 losses. Flawless Victory.

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2013, 12:48:03 AM »
"For my part, I would most like to proceed to the purpose, Sir. I trust you to deal fairly with us and I trust that we are all capable and professional enough to work together if that is what the situation requires."

In his mind, Merrion began breaking down the situation, as he had a hundred assignments before this one. He did not yet know the specifics of the job, but that was almost a good thing. The group dynamic seemed as if it might be the most challenging thing about this mission.

He was not absolutely certain of his last statement. He was confident in his own ability to work with anyone if the job called for it but he feared that he lacked the experience in teamwork and interpersonal relations to be the one to manage this group of disparate individuals.

As to his companions:

The Centurion had his trust. He came across as a soldier and an excellent one. If this were a unit of legionaires, Merrion was sure it would be well taken care of. As it was things were more complicated but even with all the large personalities, Pastor was maybe the best hope for a stablizing influence and a clear headed leader.

CaraVela was a puzzle. That tug he had felt when she entered, easily resisted by his focused mind but powerful all the same. Then later her words to Liltar, "I sometimes don't register to those magics." CaraVela seemed to act almost as if she did not fully understand her powers but powers aplenty she had and used. Still, she also seemed genuinely honest and disarming and Merrion was not the easiest to fool. Her relationship with Lord Kensington, whatever its exact nature, spoke well for her as well. Merrion knew Kensington by reputation to be trustworthy and straightforward, well straightforward for a researcher at least.

Liltar and Yara worried him a little. They did not seem to consider themselves subject to the God King and so it was unlikely they would be willing to take orders from officers of his military. Liltar was confident to the point of arrogance. That could be a serious problem or it could indicate a level of ability that would serve them well. Possibly both. Yara spoke a language he did not understand and he could not tell if she was counselling paitence or telling Liltar to kill them all and have done with it. Still, the two of them were here for a reason and he had known agents who were braggarts in the briefing room but solid professionals in the field. Assuming the worst of his teammates did no one any good.

About the others he had less information to draw on. Bruce was quick tempered but he responded to authority so hopefully he would not prove dangerous to the team. Sul, the draconic looking fellow had said very little thus far and the newest arrivals, Johnathan and Celia were something of a cipher. Celia was clearly an accomplished warrior and Johnathan's bodyguard, that was obvious enough. Johnathan himself, though, was harder to read. He was well spoken but more guarded than CaraVela. He reminded Merrion of some of the agente who worked in diplomatic posts.

Merrion continued turning these thoughts over in his mind as he waited to hear what this team would be asked to do.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2013, 09:20:04 PM »
Lord K. puts a comforting hand on CaraVela's shoulder, steps out from her attempted protection, and makes another low bow to Singorn.  Your Majesty, my family has served you for many generations, and I trust your judgement in all things.  If you believe this group contains the necessary collection of knowledge, abilities, and talents for the task at hand, then who am I to disagree.  All I ask is that I be allowed to continue to serve wherever you think my abilities fit best. 

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2013, 01:35:32 AM »
To Liltar: "It... is possible that it is possible.  At the very least, such a thing would be extremely difficult, even for me, if it is achievable at all, and quite dangerous besides.  It could also throw off the balance of power in your homeland significantly, and thus I am quadruply hesitant.  But I will research what would be required, if that is your request.  At this time, I cannot promise more than that."

After a brief hesitation, during which Singorn looks directly at Liltar, again, he adds, "I will not lie to you about my findings, or my reasons for any further decisions on this matter. It is a bargain in good faith."

To everyone else, he asks, "Before I continue, I must ask -- what do you know about the Shadow War?"

(click to show/hide)
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.