Author Topic: Low End IC Episode I- Clean Up Operation  (Read 46419 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Low End IC Episode I- Clean Up Operation
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 09:44:54 PM »
"My abilities vary depending on how I have programmed my holographic transmitters, today I will engage the enemy quickly and do more damage while avoiding damage myself.  Unfortunately I shall be less capable outside of my mecha, I will most likely be slower than all of you due to the protective equipment I am carrying."

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 10:02:37 PM »
"We're gonna get along famously, I just know it." The CAST offered with a light, rehearsed chuckle.

For some reason, he had fairly advanced behavior routines. Like he was supposed to be a spy at some point.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2013, 10:14:45 PM »
"My abilities vary depending on how I have programmed my holographic transmitters, today I will engage the enemy quickly and do more damage while avoiding damage myself.  Unfortunately I shall be less capable outside of my mecha, I will most likely be slower than all of you due to the protective equipment I am carrying."

"You sure you can't leave some of your gear behind?"
Sneaky_Sable: "Keep the Omega Whatever, I'll take that Dagger. Nice to meet you *sneak attack* I hope everything's alright *sneak attack* how's your liver been *sneak attack*..."

Offline Clanjos

• Super Smiting Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 10:50:53 PM »
"And I'll play the sneaky bastard the whole way. ...But only since my explosives were confiscated."
Quote from:  a weekly game
"Sometimes, even an adventurer needs a backrub."

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2013, 09:49:39 AM »
"And I'll play the sneaky bastard the whole way. ...But only since my explosives were confiscated."

"Please! No explosives and no fire. The instalation is already damaged and our mission is to recover their control over it. There will be nothing to control if we blow it up or burn it to the ground. How many of us use pistols and rifles instead of swords and axes? I'm a sword guy myself, don't like firearms. Ok! You, mister kobold, will be our scout. If anyone else is good at scouting, follow him and give him a hand. Bartok, please try to keep moving as fast as possible. I'll be by your side all the time, so if the forward group needs to advance, you won't be left alone. If Bartok and I fall behind, don't wait on us. Go on, complete our objective, then come back to meet us on the way out. Maintain constant radio contact. When we encounter resistance in our way to the main console, I suggest we focus our attacks on one of the targets to finish it quickly. I think this is the best way to fight through without stopping. Focus on biomonsters that can block our advance. We should assign a target painter to apply this strategy. Do you agree with this plan?"
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 09:51:53 AM by Scout89 »
Sneaky_Sable: "Keep the Omega Whatever, I'll take that Dagger. Nice to meet you *sneak attack* I hope everything's alright *sneak attack* how's your liver been *sneak attack*..."

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2013, 10:08:24 AM »
"If I leave my gear behind then I will remain unprotected.  I would rather be slow than dead, especially since when it comes to non-mech combat I am not equipped for ranged capability."  He then looks at Bagra, somewhat confused.  "Why are you so intent on having us run all over the place?  The plant isn't going to explode or anything of the sort if we carefully take our time."

Offline Elevevated Beat

• My DJ scratches like he's wearing itchy wool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2013, 10:11:06 AM »
Cashile, a slim, middle aged man wearing green grey dappled armour stands up from where he'd been resting on the ground.
"I'll head out with our scaled friend here," he drawls, winking at the Shatterscale. "That is," he continues, looking over at Bartok, "if you want to scout ahead."
His attention shifts back to Private Atlib, ""Not much for hand to hand fightin' myself, but gimme a bulls eye and I'll give you a dead bull." He chuckles at his own joke.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 10:15:27 AM by Elevevated Beat »
Do you know how long someone who is as sarcastic as I am would last in prison? Suuuuuuch a long time.

Bhu: Favorite quote of the day: “I’ll make love to you like a confused bear. Awkwardly. And in a manner that suggests I’m trying to escape.”

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2013, 11:31:29 AM »
"If I leave my gear behind then I will remain unprotected.  I would rather be slow than dead, especially since when it comes to non-mech combat I am not equipped for ranged capability."  He then looks at Bagra, somewhat confused.  "Why are you so intent on having us run all over the place?  The plant isn't going to explode or anything of the sort if we carefully take our time."

"There is a whole army of biomonsters there. If we 'take our time' we will be overwhelmed quickly. By moving fast, we'll reduce this possibility. Our mission is to turn it off, not clear it of enemies. The less we fight to get the job done, the better".

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2013, 11:46:29 AM »
"I would appreciate it if you do not automatically assume command. As a trained officer, my entire role in a combat situation is supportive. Similarly, I would appreciate it if you not assume that my ship is equipped for combat; the Illustrious is sorely in need of newer plating," Alexia asked, frowning at the large man's decision to lead, "I, too, would prefer not to sacrifice our defences for speed; we need to be sure that we shall survive. Simply ignoring enemies that are not actively in our way would just lead to being attacked from behind."

Offline Clanjos

• Super Smiting Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2013, 12:45:19 PM »
"I'm with the Captain. Besides, my scouting does no good if you're all hot on my heels, now does it?"

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2013, 02:01:31 PM »
Bagra towers the little girl, visibly irritated: "What?! I never 'assumed command'. I'm making a suggestion in our course of action. I simply brought this plan up since no one else did. Not a problem...'captain'! Stop waiting on us to do your job and lead. And if your vessel is not equipped for combat, we'd better look for another one that is, don't you think? Unless your ship is VERY fast, it will be destroyed before getting to our objective if you have no means of fighting back. Lead on, 'captain'!"

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2013, 02:18:45 PM »
"I would have spoken earlier but to interrupt in such a manner would be unforgivably rude," the black-haired female said, resisting the urge to snap back. It was unforgivable to sacrifice politeness over a brief bout of irritation, "Now that I have had chance, I agree with our holograph-using friend; it would be better to take things slowly and carefully. 'Fools rush in where angels fear to tread."

After a deep breath, she continued, addressing the slight towards her ship: "The presence of armament alone does not make the Illustrious a warship. It is capable of transport or support but hardly surviving in the thick of combat. If possible, I would prefer for the fighting to be kept as far away from the ship's surface as possible."

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2013, 02:23:27 PM »
"Then, unless you have a spare mecha or plan to stay away, you have a lot of ground to cover. My Gespent doesn't have a spare seat and I doubt these guys' mechas do so. You plan to park your ship away from our objective and have us walk around with huge monsters flying over our heads? Really?!"

Offline Clanjos

• Super Smiting Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2013, 02:53:29 PM »
"Is it really our fault the makers of your mass-produced garbage knew you'd never need a bitch seat?" Shatterscale said, standing at the Warblade's back, claws and teeth ready to plunge in. "There's plenty of room in SimoLeon, Captain."

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2013, 03:01:27 PM »
"By moving fast and rushing through things you increase the likelihood of something going wrong.  Running past enemies just means that they will attack you from behind when you have to stop.  Furthermore, complete combat focus is not always a priority.  I pride myself and my mecha on our versaitlity, and I am always willing to sacrifice speed for survivability.  That will allow me to help protect the less sturdy members of our group, we are supposed to work as a team after all.."

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2013, 03:15:41 PM »
Bagra responds to Bartok: "Forget about my plan, Bartok! Our commanding officer surely knows better. Lets rejoince on her knowledge of the battlefield!"

Then he turns to the kobold: "You better back off, buddy! This is a military opperation, try to act like a soldier. If you wanna go fist-to-fist with me, wait for the mission to be completed. Then I'll show you a true warrior don't attack from behind".

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2013, 04:33:22 PM »
A gunshot echoed.

Sargeant Antares held his smoking pistol back down to face level, briefly blew at the muzzle, and holstered his sidearm.

Then he motioned as if clearing his throat - a dramatic emphasis since he doesn't actually NEED to clear his throat.

"This discussion is leading us nowhere fast. For one thing, our ACTUAL knowledge of the situation is limited. We know there are biomonsters about, and we know they're a threat, but we don't know how many there are, whether they have any tactics of their own as a group, or even if they have self-preservation instincts.

Our ability to coordinate as a group is going to be key to the success of this operation. To this end, we need to keep our heads cool and support each other - not bemoan our flaws. If any single one of us could do this on their own, we wouldn't be here as a group, would we?"

The sargeant then grasped a nearby branch from a tree and scrawled a rough map on the dirt.

"This is our position. The plant is located here. No matter what way we pick to get there, our one certainty is that the closer to the plant, the more biomonsters there will actually be since it is their source. We don't know whether it is producing creatures for the purpose of defense for reasons we ignore, such as the work of a hacker, or if it has been automated to do so, but I believe the safest approach is to presume the enemy has the ability to organize itself. It might not, however, have the ability to communicate. This is something we must make certain before all.

If we rush in, we risk having our escape route cut off, and we ARE the reinforcements so we cannot expect to be bailed out. But if we take our time, we risk entering a battle of attrition, which we are ill-equipped to win.

It thus becomes a matter of whether the enemy is able to coordinate on an intelligent level. If whatever is behind the plant's malfunction is capable of coordinating the biomonsters already produced, we need to establish a perimeter before heading in - cut it off from any reinforcements it might have out and about. But if it doesn't, it is to our advantage to strike hard and fast and leave mop-up for later.

I believe our first order of business is to locate a potential scout. We bait it, kill it - preferrably without revealing the entirety of our forces - and see if it gets replaced. Based on that, we decide our approach.

I am primarily a melee combatant. My job is to attack and kill. I can provide some degree of defense, but I admit I am at my best when used for offense instead of defense."
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2013, 04:54:16 PM »
"As I was saying, I am not trained for front-line combat, and neither is my ship equipped to be engaged in the heat of combat. Consequently, drawing fighting close to it in the belief that it will not be harmed will simply cost us a base of operations," Alexia continued, disliking the overly aggressive soldier already, "Whilst it can provide backup and some ranged support, I do not expect it to endure long if attacked; it is, after all, over five hundred feet long."

The plan, as she could see it, had one flaw: "Surely there is a simpler way of telling if they can co-ordinate? If the attacks on this base and its inhabitants are co-ordinated, so, too, would be our opposition."

Turning to Hopkins, she asked, "Have the biomonsters thus far displayed signs of co-ordination or intelligence?"

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2013, 06:06:37 PM »
Turning to Hopkins, she asked, "Have the biomonsters thus far displayed signs of co-ordination or intelligence?"
The numan soldier, who had been silently observing you with an awkward look on his face, quickly puts back a serious expression and replies:

Armored ants and Spitkills have show some basic pack ambushing tactics. They lie in wait underground or blending in with the vegetation and then burst out to attack when they have at least a couple of us surrounded.

Buzzers move around in groups as well, just without any subtelty. They fly around the area and will attack any mechas they spot. You'll get some free shots out of it. Make them count.

Otherwise they never seemed very bright. They won't try to finish off a weakened machine if it pulls back and another draws their attention. They won't try to help others of their kind in trouble if they're already busy with something else. The biomonsters have not shown any ability at large-scale organization as far as we observed either, only relatively small packs of individuals, never more than a dozen togheter, more often some eight or nine individuals at a time.

Offline Elevevated Beat

• My DJ scratches like he's wearing itchy wool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2013, 08:05:40 PM »
Cashile's eyes are narrowed thoughtfully as he stares out at the forest in front of him, like he can see what's beyond the treeline. "Hopkins, I've been ponderin' your words from earlier. What surprises have these lil critters got in store for us?" He turns back to the lieutenant, "You said summin' about mutations having surprises in their guts?"
Do you know how long someone who is as sarcastic as I am would last in prison? Suuuuuuch a long time.

Bhu: Favorite quote of the day: “I’ll make love to you like a confused bear. Awkwardly. And in a manner that suggests I’m trying to escape.”