Author Topic: Chapter I: Legend of Griselda-Pirates Awakening  (Read 164539 times)

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter I: Legend of Griselda-Pirates Awakening
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 02:37:01 PM »
She looked at it suspiciously, wondering out loud.
"Rabbit? You look more like a fish."

That seemed to amuse her somewhat. Hands on her belly she giggled for a second, then snorted.
"I'm the Great Fairy of Ice."
It was usually enough considering people rarely visited her for more than a few minutes, never to be seen again.
Now that she was out of the cave, though, it would likely get on her nerve pretty soon and she didn't want to be annoyed by her own title.
She played a finger in one of her frills.
"But ya can just call me Pha Eris."

When it mentioned the other warrior and the youngling, Pha looked around for a glance at all the would-be warriors, unsure of whom it might be referring to. None had really stood out, in her opinion. The young one, though, she knew.
"Oh, the young hero. That's Jay. He's right over there." she pointed in his general direction.

Then went to laze about, feeling a little bored. The pirates sure took their sweet time.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 11:46:21 AM »
She looked at it suspiciously, wondering out loud.
"Rabbit? You look more like a fish."
That seemed to amuse her somewhat. Hands on her belly she giggled for a second, then snorted.

"The designation was chosen more for its connection to great luck rather then physical appearance." Rabbit paused, "And what is a fi... nevermind. I'll ask again later."

"I'm the Great Fairy of Ice."
It was usually enough considering people rarely visited her for more than a few minutes, never to be seen again.
Now that she was out of the cave, though, it would likely get on her nerve pretty soon and she didn't want to be annoyed by her own title.
She played a finger in one of her frills.
"But ya can just call me Pha Eris."

Rabbit's helmet nodded, "Pha Eris." he said, and repeated the name a few times, as though to get the proper pronunciation down.

Designation Pha Eris stored in Comm Hyperdex.
- Address: Unknown.
- Comm ID: Unknown.
- Anniversary of Live Birth: Unknown.
- Factors that Provide Amusement: Personal Designation of Rabbit.

Oh man... today couldn't end fast enough.

When it mentioned the other warrior and the youngling, Pha looked around for a glance at all the would-be warriors, unsure of whom it might be referring to. None had really stood out, in her opinion. The young one, though, she knew.
"Oh, the young hero. That's Jay. He's right over there." she pointed in his general direction.

Then went to laze about, feeling a little bored. The pirates sure took their sweet time.

"I will return shortly. Keep an eye out for their arrival, perhaps an aerial location would be tactically superior." and it pointed straight up... and then Rabbit went to go chat with Jay.

... Everything Jeremy said...

Sentient protomatter, fairies, and now this. A child in command of impossible monsters that looked like Science Division had managed to convince High Command that Limitless Budget was a feasible term.

There was only one explanation for this: Maybe the Eject protocol never engaged.

"Bay L... Bayleaf." he corrected himself, and gave a nod. "And Jeremy." he pointed, and was satisfied with his progress. "My name is Rabbit." hopefully this one wouldn't find his designation quite as humorous. Not that he really minded any. Sentients should have joy and mirth in their final moments.

"The enemy will be approaching from the water, but they may send an advance team out ahead underwater to swim up and attack the dock before the ship arrives." Rabbit coached the young Jeremy. "They will attempt to make you afraid. They will scream, they will shout, and they will threaten you. Do not fear them." he paused, "Make them fear you. Break their spirit, show them you are not afraid, and you will prevail."

It was the same encouraging speech he received when he was about his age. Of course, he didn't have a Bayleaf. He had a proper weapon.
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 12:01:40 PM »
Zax watches the strange folk elsewhere on the beach out of the corner of his eye.  If they're as good in a fight as they are weird, then maybe he has a chance to make it off the beach alive.

He drops his pack on the ground, kicking some sand over it to cover it, and sticks a cluster of arrows in the ground for easy access.  Finally unburdened, he unfurls his wings and stretches, snapping them to clear any residual tightness.  The spray of frost from the fairy's machinations makes the silvery scales glisten.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 01:04:29 PM »
Jeremy nods and smiles.  "Nice to meet you Rabbit.  Don't worry, I won't be afraid.  I have my friends beside me!"  He pats his Bayleef. 

"Bayleef!" says Bayleef as she throws a couple of razor sharp leaves, embedding them in a nearby wall as a display of prowess as she stands protectively next to Jeremy.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 02:22:16 PM »
What in the name of Mother Brain was going on here...

Rabbit could only nod to the child. "I see... Well then, tomorrow morning, we shall all speak of this as a trial we have passed." and with that being said, Rabbit opted to get away from the plant... lizard... flower... thing. Bayleaf indeed...

He gave Zax a nod, from one warrior to another. Zax needed no encouragement, nor did he need small trivial tasks to keep his mind off his mortality. "To the next dawn, warrior." he said, without drawing attention to Zax's position, then he returned to his original position and waited, either for Pha to let them know that she saw them, or his own eyes told him the same. As a final show of his battle readiness, he activated his Scythe. Favored weapon of the Space Pirates, he kept his not out of sentimentality, but out of brutal efficiency. The NAZ generator that he had installed with was also a memento of efficiency. The blade, fully as long as any longsword blade, sprang out of a section of Rabbit's right forearm armor as he tensed his fist. A moment after the blade deployed, the shimmering star steel gained a bluish tint. Smoke started to roll off the blade, and frost gathered where the sea mist touched the frozen steel.

Tactical Mode engaged. Weapons Loadout selected:
- Phendrana Blade selected. Near Absolute-Zero Field Generator active.
- SG-54 Solaron Blaster (Personal Designation: "Star in a Jar") charged and ready. Primary Holster unlocked. Remaining sealed.
- Quantum Combat Modules Selected: None
- Quantum Combat Modules Available: <See List for Details>

Self-Diagnostic In Prog.. Self Diagnostic Complete. System Ready for Commands.

H:\> _

Now the waiting. Now the waiting. Resist the Urge to beat IceEHunT3r's high score in Angry Chozos...
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 02:30:05 PM »
Zax grins toothily at Rabbit's greeting, and responds in kind.

"And may we give our enemies nightmares."

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2012, 07:24:49 AM »
Meanwhile, a massive ape with an axe, a bat, and a grumpy look came tromping through town, wondering where in the hell people had gone, and what all the shouting was. Remembering that he likes shouting, and noticing nobody was going to point him in the direction of something tasty or fun, he decided to investigate the noise, and caught the end of the call to arms. Thrilled to have something fun to do, the ape known as Kong smiled greatly, and beat his chest three times for no apparent reason. Noting the armory, he leaped, inhaling as he did..... and proceeded to sail lightly on the breeze.

Having landed, he sniffed around the armory, disappointed; he cared for none of their arms. That wasn't a problem, as he'd brought his own, but he liked new things. The bombs were in a corner; there were no eyes on these, and he thoroughly doubted they could walk if he wanted them to. So, not the ones he was looking for. This seemed to be a bust for artifacts of the mushroom warriors, but he didn't much mind. He picked up his five, stuffed them in his pack, and galumphed outside.

There were some of the soldiers - not wonderful opponents, too fragile - and some odd looking mercenaries, lined up together, debating strategy on the beach. They spoke of bombs, of singularities, of assault. This made Kong's blood rush; pirates would be fun! So much excitement! He pulled out his bat, and leaped to join the group. He landed with a puff of sand, would up his bat with a few windmills of his arm, and cracked his neck. He didn't feel the need to say anything to them; they must've known his plan by the way he looked out with a smile at the ship on the horizon. Not that he cared; he was just in it for the fight. He turned to look at them once, with a smile and a grunt. As they departed to their positions, he took his own

Bomb in one hand, bat in the other. Time to test his strength against some new meat...
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2012, 09:04:59 AM »
Rabbit spied Kong galumphing towards them, armed to the incisors, then take to the air. He landed, brandished his weapons and then.... nothing. Just a grunt and a nod. Reinforcements? If it wasn't for that smile and that grunt, Rabbit would have gutted him on suspicion of being a Pirate vanguard. "Your brash and sudden entry into a combat situation nearly just cost you your life." he scolded the colossal simian. "We've already prepared, planned, and implemented a stratagem. The assault will likely come from the water." then he paused, "Do you even understand this conversation?"
Link to my homebrews

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2012, 05:01:04 PM »
Kong looked down to the angry one who had addressed him. He looked at the defenses, looked at the set up. This wasn't bad, for war. Not much of a good fight, but not bad. At least, he thought so. It made sense, but it wasn't as though he had any training in warcraft. But apparently the creature was quite angry with him. Squinting to observe more perfectly, he gave another overview of the ground, despite the awkward silence after the creature had finished speaking. Finally he looked back.

"Kong. Where should I be?" He wasn't sure what was going on, but if his life was in danger just by approaching, he was excited! Excited as he was, he stopped gripping the bomb so tightly, worried he might crush it.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2012, 05:20:26 PM »
"Our enemy approaches from the water, though the likelihood of a rear assault always exists. You're mobility will allow you greater response time then most others. Take a position along the middle tier of the docking yard, and respond to threats as they arise."

"Otherwise, take your choice of siege weapon towers, and devastate the enemy from above before you land upon them like a meteor." he pointed to a few of the towers.

"Kong." he nodded. "Rabbit." he indicated himself. "There will be more designations, provided they survive the dawn."
Link to my homebrews

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2012, 07:18:41 PM »
Kong looked between siege towers, and the center of the beach. So, he could get his pick of opponents? That was his plan all along. He smiled, a massive, toothy smile that was a bit more than disconcerting. "Fine plan, Rabbit." With that, he ballooned his chest, jumped, and flew off with a scarily similarity to a thrown boulder.

(click to show/hide)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2012, 06:00:36 PM »
The captain heeds Rabbit's advice and sends part of the militia and his soldiers to fortify the town hall, the strongest building in the city. The remaining forces end up concentrating in the battery emplacements and taking positions behind whatever other cover that is available. Except for the elves, that proudly stand far away from the other defenders, reading their highly decorated bows and blades.

After quite a bit of flying, Pha manages to create a nice, tick layer of ice over the docks and nearby sea, which does provoke several looks of awe and admiration from the militia and even what looks like respect from the elves.

Then there's a period of calm. The captain refuses to answer any more questions, just focusing on the horizon. As you start to grow bored of waiting, the pirate ship appears in the horizon. A gargantuan vessel of wood, aproaching swiftly under the back of three white sails. It's hard to make out details so far away now, but it's definetely traveling fast under the strong wind.

"Hold your fire until it is in range!"-orders the captain to the bombard crews.

Before he finishes speaking however, two flaming balls are catapulted  from the incoming pirate ship. With horrifying acuraccy, they arc towards the northern battery emplacement, exploding in a ball of liquid fire that burns the crews-and the nearby gunpowder barrels. The following chain reaction leaves only two crewman standing, the emplacement burning, and destroys a part of the ice Pha had created.

Immediatily from the hole climb ten orcs wearing what looks like leather armor with sharp toothlike scales covering most of its exterior, plus sealed pouches on the legs. They dual wield throwing axes, with more hanging from their belts, and they have have wicked smiles in their faces as the sea water drips out of them.

Situation
(click to show/hide)

Crunch
(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 04:46:06 AM by oslecamo »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2012, 06:03:47 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2012, 06:06:07 PM »
(click to show/hide)
Link to my homebrews

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2012, 06:58:32 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2012, 08:26:43 PM »
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:23:41 PM by Anomander »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2012, 04:15:33 PM »
Pha guessed that they were now in range and was free to release fire.
She surged high out of the water and took a quick glance at the pirates before choosing one, seeing that she was too far to get proper advantage of the situation she went with ranged combat for the time being. Feeling the temperature of the air between her fingers drop, she stretched the cold energy and shot it.

Seeing the ray fly waaaay off mark, she drummed her fingertips against themselves pensively.
Perhaps she needed to warm up first, but that seemed kind of counterproductive.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 04:23:13 PM by Anomander »

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2012, 04:19:50 PM »
More charred blood and screams filled Rabbit's memories. How many had he cut down in this fashion before today? How many more would be culled before the dawn? Phe was the first to strike back, and it was regrettable that a female had to start the retaliation. He felt the chill of his own scythe in the air, the only thing colder then the chill through his blood. The moments before a battle always made the blood stop.

They would need a moment or two to catch their bearings, he imagined. He would. In those moments, he readied his arm scythe, and started to dash across the battlefield to engage the enemy... screaming!

"PIRATES OF THE SEAS AND STARS, WHEN YOU STAND BEFORE HIGH COMMAND, TELL THEM THE RABBIT SENT YOU!"

(click to show/hide)
Link to my homebrews

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2012, 05:33:36 PM »
Zax smiles grimly, stepping out from behind the barricade to fire his bow at the oncoming pirates.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2012, 10:21:30 PM »
Jeremy draws his shotput and throws it at the nearest orc with one swift action.  "Take that!" he yells as his Bayleef throws two razor sharp leaves at the same orc.  "Bay   leeeef!" it cries.

(click to show/hide)