Author Topic: Part Demon or Devil Character  (Read 2662 times)

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
Part Demon or Devil Character
« on: July 09, 2016, 10:38:43 PM »
I had an idea for a character today and was wondering how to best represent it in the system. Figure d&d 3.5, all wotc material allowed and fairly optimized without getting into anything majority earth shattering. I don't need a complete build, but suggestions would be nice. Assume at least a point buy of 28-32(it's where I build all my characters), probably gestalt as most of the games I'm involved in have gone gestalt the last year or so. Would like the character to be playable at most levels, usually my games range from 5-15 or so, with 6-10 being the sweet spot. I rarely see my games go past 15 and usually start at 5 or 6.

Character idea: Born to a demon or devil mother and wizard father. I'd like some method of representing both sides. Thinking as fiendish abilities from the mother and maybe training from the father. Would love to have the ability to have lots of tricks up his sleeves.

So far, I've looked at warlock//wizard going for eldritch theurge for greatreach blast to deliver touch spells at range, but it's a late bloomer for its ability (around elc 16).

Also looked at warlock//artificer for the ridiculous item creation abilities, especially with hellfire infusion and metamagic infusion. Gets going a little earlier, and gets better as things go along. This one and the next are the ones I think fit the best with my play style. I tend to fulfill the role of problem solver and fixer with my groups. They always seem to be getting into oddball situations, but one player usually plays a career focused on battlefield controller with a bit of utility so it's more of a woops we need an of the wall solution as opposed to a power thing.

Warlock//factotum: can anyone say skill monkey? Use arcane dilettante to represent training for father.

I'd thought about a few other options, but haven't looked into them.

Warlock// non lawful paladin variant(maybe other cha + ability classes)

Sorcerer//warlock: losses some of the ties to his father, but not a huge issue, gains better cha figure focus than wizard or artificer

Has also considered taking a few templates on one side of the gestalt, but the half fiend template costs 4 la, won't be able to be bought off, and while it doesn't cost hd, I'm not convinced it's with half of 4 levels. I could be wrong though. La don't hurt anywhere near as bad in gestalt as the do in regular play, and it's low enough that he could start as early as 4 level of it comes to that.

I like the warlock, and while not a power house, it does give a lot of flavor and a decent base for gestalt, but I could be convinced to use something else without much trouble if it send like a better option.

Mostly just looking for ideas as to how someone else might build this character or improve upon one of the above ideas.
Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Re: Part Demon or Devil Character
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 05:11:40 PM »
Perhaps a Savage Species progression on one side, like Succubus, preceded by 1 level of Tiefling, smidge of a handwave.  Then fill in the Lock / Dual caster stuff.

I'm partial to Rakshasa // Support, gets all those immunities, with decent + scalable Sorc casting.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 07:07:16 PM »
... or ...

start with the LA+0 alt Tiefling
Warlock 1 // +1 BAB class 1 , certainly Paladin can work here
Warlock 2 // Half-fiend LA+1
Warlock 3 // Half-fiend LA+2
Warlock 4 // Half-fiend LA+3
Warlock 5 // +1 BAB class 2
Warlock 6 // Half-fiend LA+4 ... have to pick one of the level 4 invocations, and retrain in 1 of the summon invocations
NarDemonbinder 1 // Eldritch Knight 1
Warlock 7+ // EK 2+ applied to Nar

Gish + Lock(-1) + Nar(+1) flavor/sorcywiz + the fiend stuff you wanted
Level 13 is Lock 12 goodie // X 1 anything campaign related
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 07:09:01 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 09:47:32 PM »
That's a pretty awesome build. Are you staggering the +1bab classes to help bump bab up? While I'm not entirely sure of raw/rai, I tend to use one sides bab or the other to prevent fighter 1+wizard19/ sorcerer 20 ftom having bab.

I hadn't thought about Nar demonbinder until you mentioned it. Looks like it would be a great addition to the build. And paladin 2 gets cha to saves. Im going to look and see if there is a demonic focused paladin variant in the books. Even a demon hunter paladin may fit.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 03:13:39 PM »
Well yeah doing that is quite a trick, but doing this more r.a.i.
by having a +1 BAB class lined up right at the weak spot(s).
Especially since LAs are quite obviously weaker than Tier 1s.

If you subbed in the Tiefling LA+1 level at level 2,
you could go with the SavProg transition class (scroll down).
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040319a

'Nother way is to go Lock // one of the ++ Sorc builds around here
I think the Paladin 2 / Sorc 4 / AbjChamp types would work.
Tiefling instead of EarlyAccessRaceX, won't matter at some point.

"I wanted to be a Wizard, but instead I get to kill you.  Fair trade."

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 05:28:44 PM »
To be fair, I'd be okay with not using warlock if something better was out there. The flavor I'd just great though. Is there a cha based casting class with wizard progression?

Warlock/half fiend la into nar demin binder looks like the best bet if I stick with warlock. Any suggestions if I don't use warlock?

Sorcerer 7+x /paladin 2+ half fiend la+ nar demon binder 1+ ultimate magus y ?

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 02:43:30 PM »
Nar was an early qualifying trick, which doesn't work with Sorc.  :-\

Battle Sorc 1 // Paladin 1
BS 2 // Half-fiend LA+1
BS 3 // Paladin 2
BS 4 // Half-fiend LA+2
etc
BS 8 // Pal 4 / all of Half-fiend 4
Nar 1 // EK 1
BS 9+ // EK 2+ applied to Nar
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererVariantBattleSorcerer

Solidly above normal Sorc + Gish + the flavor

Sha'ir could be another possibility, minor refluff on the Gen.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 07:51:23 PM »
Sha'ir could be another possibility, minor refluff on the Gen.

This is the best suggestion I've seen yet. Awesome, now, to refluff it...

I'm going to have to play with this a but... Maybe imp familiar with the same mechanics. And change a couple class features.