Author Topic: Conversion: 3.5 to Pathfinder - Pyroclastic Dragon (Planer Dragon)  (Read 1536 times)

Offline dkt0404

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Are there any guidelines for this or can it be used as is aside from skills and such?

I noticed most of the dragons have sharply different abilities so I'm not sure.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
Re: Conversion: 3.5 to Pathfinder - Pyroclastic Dragon (Planer Dragon)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 02:11:16 PM »
i haven't seen any fast rules for monster conversion. the feats and skills are really the only thing that mechanically changed.

BTW, the pyro dragon has my favorite dragon picture of all. but the one here from the Dragon magazine, not the weird one from Draconomicon
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline dkt0404

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 12:55:42 AM »
i haven't seen any fast rules for monster conversion. the feats and skills are really the only thing that mechanically changed.

BTW, the pyro dragon has my favorite dragon picture of all. but the one here from the Dragon magazine, not the weird one from Draconomicon

The breath weapons and major stats seem to be the same. Red dragon is 40' in each, ect.
Bulky Pyro dragon is actually 60' o_O

The abilities though; are sharply different.

I know Pathfinder has a Magma dragon but that doesn't really match the Pyro much aside from some appearance. When I read the entry I couldn't help thinking that it was some sort of lesser pyro dragon and that the pyro would be a stronger version of it.

In terms of converting to something more akin to the pathfinder dragons, I'd maybe take some abilities from the red and magma dragon.

The specific ones I would think would match the Pyro would be Fire Aura, Smoke Vision and Superheated

Honestly the fact that the Magma dragon DOESN'T have smoke vision seems downright bizzare since it has pretty much the same issues the red dragon has (BUUUUUUUURRRRRNNNN....oh...smoke....)

So retain breath attacks, retain spells and progression, retain all the stats, convert feats and skills to PF, add fire aura, smoke vision and possibly super headed. Add Planer dragon effect.

That unreasonable?

Offline Nanashi

• it means "he who has no name" in a foreign tongue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 01:08:05 AM »
On the topic of best dragon art, I really like the Dragon Magazine Catastrophic Dragons of 4E. They are still clearly dragons, but are distinctly different and not just space filling variant like most alternate dragons are. Anyone know of 3E homebrew for them?

the feats and skills are really the only thing that mechanically changed.

A few racial hit die have changed due to PF's linking BAB and HD (and I think some other stuff), though dragons remain unchanged.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 01:25:23 AM by Nanashi »

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 01:59:01 AM »
never seen those ones. just googling 'magma dragon' got thousands of pictures. this one conveyed the sense of immovability of the pyro dragon

the closest i've gotten to being involved in monsters is summoning and undead animation. nothing near where i was in 3.x
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 02:02:21 AM by zook1shoe »
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground