Author Topic: Chapter 1: By Darkness, By Blade [IC Thread]  (Read 13704 times)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: Chapter 1: By Darkness, By Blade [IC Thread]
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2014, 04:21:48 PM »
Took long enoug to find some resistance. Kana was starting to think they could have a completely peaceful exploration for once. Regardless, she did enjoy the violence part of her work somewhat, a chance to hone her martial skills. With one fluid movement, Kana drops her ten foot pole and retrieves one of the spears on her back with the freed hand, then quickly lunging with the sharp tip of the weapon and impales the weapon trough the monster's head! 

One blow, one kill. Good to see I still got it. But seems like you've become a bit rusty, Alex. And here I was thinking I was the one spending too much time with books.... Well, let's see if this creature was guarding something valuable...-teases Kana smiling before puting away the spear in her back again and starting poking around the room with her retrieved ten foot pole.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 04:26:53 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2014, 04:40:34 PM »
The human snorted, and grabbed the bow again. She was primarily a swordsman--close quarters archery was extremely hit and miss.

Offline Libertad

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 12:50:17 PM »
(click to show/hide)

The room's fireplace opened out into a hole leading upwards towards the surface, explaining the relative absence of smoke in the room.

The rug is surprisingly clean, and would be worth 20 silver pieces on the market (it can be rolled up and carried).  The wine bottle has yet to be opened; its labeling portrays a grapevine, with "Adelstein's Vineyard" below it in cursive font.  Getting it examined by wine aficionados would place it at 25 silver pieces for its age and freshness.

There is a bookcase on the upper-northwest corner, although all of the books (40 in all) contain nothing but blank pages.  The books' bindings are surprisingly good, and are useful for recording purposes.  The entire collection would be worth 50 silver pieces (or 1 gold piece), although they'll heavily encumber the both of you (20+ items each).

There is a doorway to the right, painted a bright green, its wooden frame engraved with images of leaves.  A note is tacked on to the knob: "Reminder: Feed the pit once a week."

The corpse, if closely examined, appears close to either a physically deformed human, or potentially some breed of monster.  You don't really know.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 01:26:58 AM by Libertad »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014, 11:20:07 AM »
Kana speared the mysterious corpse a few times just to be sure it was dead, then carefully guarded the wine bottle and one of the blank books in her backpack.

Would you mind carrying the rug Alex? Would be a shame to just leave it here. I'll save the bottle to celebrate later.

And oh, I really like this new door's style. Beautiful colors, exquisite craftmanship, surely an elf must've made it. I say we follow it now.

And unless Alex gave any counter argument, she would open it and poke around the  room beyond.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 11:41:59 AM »
The swordsman looked at the size of the rug, gave it a poke, and then rolled it up and set it aside--carrying it through this place was likely to just get it ruined, and/or trip them up. Not a fun thing to do at all, and certainly not good in a dangerous situation

Instead, a book was pilfered from the shelf, and its pristine pages put to use sketching a map of what they'd already seen in dark blue chalk, and making notes of what was where. Better to ensure their purpose here was complete than sell one more book.

Then she put the thing away in favour of drawing her sword, going over to Kana. "Yes, yes, it's very green; but not the first leafy door I've seen."

(click to show/hide)

Offline Libertad

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2014, 11:24:45 PM »
(click to show/hide)

The doorway opened up into a four-way passage, the west and immediate dead end and the south leading back into the room with the gorge.  Dried bloodstains and bits of meat made a trail down and out to the eastern passage. Strange gasps, growls, and cries emanated from the eastern end, magnified to horrific proportions by the acoustics of the cave.  The room's walls were circular; painted upon them was a scene of faceless people dancing around a forest, where the trees had eyes growing on their branches instead of leaves.  In the room's center gaped a pit with no visible bottom, where the bloodstains ended.

The source of the sounds came from the pit, and grew louder over time, the entities making them clawing at the walls and finally coming over the side.  Four naked, albino creatures covered in thick mats of hair turned their huge red eyes towards Alex and Kana.  One of them hungrily licked its lips as it bore its fangs.

Monster Initiative 1d6 : 2, total 2

(click to show/hide)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2014, 05:16:17 PM »
Kana didn't know what those creatures were (yet), but they clearly had absolutely no sense of fashion. Thus they deserved to die. As Alex took the initiative, Kana drops her pole and draws her spear, lunging its iron tip at the albino's exposed chests.

You may have been the top predators of this enviroment, but I'm afraid your luck ended today.

Offline Libertad

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2014, 06:14:32 PM »
Kana's lance drives clean through the flesh of one of them, and stabs the other directly behind it.  The first creature vomits blood as it violently spasms, and the second is caught off-balance and falls back into the pit with a deathly scream.

The other two...you can't tell if it's anger or fear in their eyes (maybe a little bit of both), but they jump back a little after seeing their allies get slaughtered so easily.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2014, 06:19:30 PM »
Alex stepped forwards, finding her way around the elf and lashing out with her sword. It was a clean, practised blow, and against such... trivially hit creatures, it was likely to end messily.

"In future, how about I take the lead? I am, after all, better at making things bleed."

(click to show/hide)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2014, 06:24:37 PM »
True, but I'm better at finding things in the first place. -chuckes Kana as she takes cover behind Alex and keeps thrusting with the spear, now over her companion's shoulder aiming at the cowering albinos.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2014, 06:29:39 PM »
"But if one happens to get the jump, the first I'll hear is a sickening thump."

Offline Libertad

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2014, 06:51:18 PM »
Alex's blade cuts through the first monster, cleaving it in half.  Without stumbling they guide the blade in a sweeping arc towards the last remaining one, slicing its throat and spraying a crimson arc into the air.

With them dead, all was quiet once more in the room of the pit.

The monsters each had a silver ankle bracelet on their right legs, each worth about 25 silver pieces.  The room's wall is carved so that the trees and dancing people jut out in three dimensions.  The walls are smooth and cold to the touch.

(click to show/hide)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2014, 07:04:03 PM »
I wonder where that pit goes... We could try dragging that bookcase we found earlier and use it as a support as a rope.-says Kana, fitting one of the silver bracelets in her forearm and admiring it for a moment. The elf would then offer the other one to her companion.

However, perhaps it would be wiser to first check the other rooms of this level. What do you think Alex?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2014, 07:17:46 PM »
"Better, first, to look around, than fixate on a hole in the ground," the blonde said, trying to get as much blood off of her sword and onto the carcasses as possible. She inspected the anklets rather stoically for a second: why, exactly, do they all have them on the same leg? And then she shrugged, and spent a minute putting one of them on her other leg, where it would be hidden by her boots. Best not to let people see you had jewellery.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2014, 08:46:39 AM »
Onwards to the next room then!-says Kana, putting away her spear and picking up her 10 foot pole, exiting the pit room  and then keep exploring the main hall, poking everything in front of her.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2014, 09:21:57 AM »
Alex followed, having stopped to update the map briefly, and then running to be in a position to take the lead once they got to the room itself. Really, now; her entire skillset was combat-oriented, she should be the one getting stabbed if they opened a door.

Offline Libertad

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2014, 01:26:14 AM »
The passage is yet another hallway, this one longer than the last and turns twice before ending at a set of double doors.  Unlike the others this portal was reinforced with thick iron bars, and the recent engraving of a small eight-pointed star (just like the one on the dungeon's entrance) appeared near the doorknob.

The room itself was well-appointed, containing a large wooden dinner table, the plates cleared off to one side to make room for sheets of paper and two books, one a thick tome and the other a small red-colored journal.  The contents of an ink bottle spilled across the table, ruining much of the sheets' contents yet leaving the books intact (they were far enough away).  A cupboard and closet at the back of the room contained spoiled food, the lot of it infested with maggots and other carrion insects.  A silver mace lay below a corner of a damaged section of table.  Judging by the impact and splinters of wood on the floor it made a solid blow.

Rana's meticulous search of the room notices scratches and claw marks around the area near the mace, indicating a struggle took place here.  No traces of blood or flesh (aside from the rotting meat) were present in the room, which one would expect in the aftermath of combat.

The thick tome is the Caelus Libram, the holy text of Anerman.  A quick skim details the origin of the deity and how he drove out the clawing darkness to make the world safe for humanity, and how those who served him in mind and deed stood vigilant against future threats and set examples for the faithful to follow.

The red journal belongs to Brother Ranscelt, a priest of Anerman from West Brendor.  The journal details his travels eastward to drive out evil from villages and hamlets, and how his search led him here.  Below are a few choice bits:

"Fifth of Mornwinter

I was forced to make a stop in the city of Vornheim for supplies.  The tales about the place were true, yet exaggerated.  Architecture both mortal and monstrous swept the sky, and its laws and customs were as inscrutable as only a realm with demonic forebears of legend could possess.  The air was rich with sorcery, which went unacknowledged by a fearful populace, and the odd mountain folk could be spotted in the marketplace peddling charms under the cover of thick blue rags.  Although the city is doubtlessly tainted, it would be a mistake to assume that its folk are knowingly malevolent.  They labor as if afraid, unwilling to acknowledge the strangeness around them, and developed a set of rituals and superstitions to ward away its attention.  These people deserve liberation, not destruction.

6th of Mornwinter

I found an entrance to to the realms below near the village of Redstall.  It wasn't hard following the magical energies, although finding a way underground proved difficult.  After imprisoning and interrogating one of the subdwellers that they were harvesting souls in service of their infernal patrons.  Within their compound I discovered a hideous ritual, of spirits bound to walls for reasons I can hardly fathom.  The creatures' damnable statue of their deity was clearly a focal point for the spell, but it proved indestructible.  I could not explore further, as the subdwellers proved adept at climbing back into the pits of unknown depths whenever I felled enough of their number.  I smeared the edges of the northeastern pit with animal fat to make it more difficult for them to ascend.

8th of Mornwinter

I found little progress.  The ghastly demon-worshipers found a way to circumvent my defenses, forcing me to take shelter in one of the rooms.  Yesterday, the spirits in the wall of souls told me to seek out the high priest among the subdwellers to free them, but I can do little good from here.  I do not believe that I might be able to finish my work, but if I fail, then may Anerman send another in my stead to succeed."

And thus the journal ends.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 01:28:21 AM by Libertad »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2014, 08:05:28 AM »
More books, and this ones weren't written in some ancient mysterious gibberish. Excellent!

They also helped shed some light on what had happened in this place's past.

Carefully stashing both diary and the holy book in her backpack, Kana offers the silver mace to Alex.

This is quite the delicate weapon, so it's better if left in your brutal hands. If we must ruin it in combat, at least let it be ruined slaying some enemy that cold steel cannot.

I would also guess that it's same subdwellers that we faced on the pit room that this journal reports about. I wonder if they still follow some high priest, or have completely fallen to the barbaric ways. Well, either way we should search for more clues.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Libertad

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2014, 01:09:17 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Room 8

The next chamber is little more than a dark square chamber with piles of straw scattered about the room in small heaps.  Stained linen blankets lying on top indicate that this place once served as sleeping quarters, although it's hard to imagine how one would get restless sleep in this place.

Otherwise there is nothing of interest in this room.

Room 9

The wall is in an odd diagonal shape.  Dominating the wall, from floor to ceiling, is a large painted scene of snowy plains.  Much of the starlit sky is blanketed by featherless, skeletal birds with black pits in place of eyes.  A few of them dive down to pick up people from the ground below, none of which have faces.

Placed along the southern wall are pages from some volume of text, held up with some claylike substance on the opposite side.  The words are in an indescribable language, portraying odd symbols and non-Euclidean art.

(click to show/hide)

Room 7:

This room's a prison.  Straight ahead and to your left and right are small alcoves barred by locked iron gates.  Behind them lie piles of humanoid corpses, most of them dismembered and cut into smaller pieces so that they'd better fit inside.  The flesh is rotten and filled with maggots, and the place smells strongly of decay.

(click to show/hide)

Room 6:

This room is featureless but for a series of cracked mirrors lining all four walls 10 foot intervals.  In the room's center is a raised stone podium with steps leading up to a black table.  From the table's center grows the wooden limb of what appears to be a tree branch, and in something shimmers within its grasp.

Directly behind the podium you can see a black-robed figure standing, and it walks around to greet you.  It wears a necklace made of human fingerbones, and its face is shrouded in a cloth of midnight blue.  Raising a fully-enwrapped finger, the being points at you, and you can see a bead of blue light forming at its tip.

"Die," it mutters.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Libertad

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2014, 03:34:14 PM »
The sorcerer lets out an arc of bright blue energy towards Alex and Kana.  The spell energy homes in and snakes around their defenses, the first two arcs phasing through Alex's armor and the third one leaping over to hit Kana.

(click to show/hide)