Author Topic: Character Build Index?  (Read 3153 times)

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Character Build Index?
« on: October 02, 2018, 04:16:52 PM »
Anyone got a list of character builds they would recommend for 5th? I'm starting a new campaign and I wanted to see some solid ideas?

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Character Build Index?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 01:03:01 PM »
Or even just some cool builds/links would be nice  :D

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 02:56:34 PM »
I've been at work so posting stuff is kinda limited but you can search for The Lost Lord on here, it's a Paladin Oathbreaker / Barbarian Bear Totem with a Monk dip for Smite/Ki novas.

I'm always keen on a Battle Master 12 / Assassin 4 / Gloomstalker 4 for it's massive burst damage. I mean other Classes have to blow per day stuff to even try to keep up what what it can do every Encounter.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 05:27:36 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 04:42:44 PM »
Thanks  :D

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 06:20:55 PM »
Cleric anything is viable, as is Wizard anything.

Rogue 1 / Lore Bard 19 is as good an old fashioned Skill Monkey as any , and you get to be a top caster.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?490505-The-Social-God-A-guide-to-an-optimized-party-face

Paladin 6 / Sorc 14 is a burst damage combo (and similars) that got the most attention, still ongoing.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502673-Unlimited-Blade-Works-The-Guide-to-the-Ultimate-Paladin-Sorcerer-Multiclass

Barb 3 Bear and 6 Eagle / Druid 11 , and stuff as many goodies onto the 1 mile sight range.  Call it Radar.  It tickles 3.0e Divine Rank 1 memories.  iirc Sambojin did the best one around here.

Fighter 11 / Rogue 9 is an all the way down to Basic/SRD damage leader, and go up from there, to more specialties and better stuff like what SorO posted.

Gishes don't totally scan from 3.5.  The various 2 attack casters ... are casters (that happen to be not completely incompetent, if stuck in combat).  Valor Bard was an early fave but hasn't aged well, TreantMonk recently took this view of valor, i.e. Lore is better.  Bladesinger Wiz got 3 different guides over at giantitp.  Blade'Lock were nearly unusable until Hexblade in Xanathars.  UA Old Favored Soul Sorc works and is tasty, but was replaced by UA New Favored Soul and then replaced again by Divine Soul in Xan.

For lack of a better term, the various Spell Banks, are cheesy and break the gentleman's agreement, and a few more reasonable No's.  Necromancer army of the dead, is legal but a pain in the !@#$.  Sorc+Lock+nosleep = most people can't do the argument anyway and is got a well earned tweet-rata.  Glyph of Warding with a Bag of Holding to move it around is probably the best (shhh don't tell secret).  Spamming Leomund's Hut is daily nova, but wotc put out some demons with Dispel Magic at-will = nope.  Spamming Rope Trick is encounter nova, probably not too bad, wants teammates to spam with it, but see demon dispel.

Goblin + Revised Ranger in UA + Hunter, or Gloomstalker if you can swing it, is a straight to the point archer.  Dex, dex, Sharpshooter for feats.

Sorc Divine Soul + Tome 'Lock without breakage, is a fun spreadsheet-of-options build stub.  Spamming disguise self + disguise prof + expertise + Friends cantrip, is downright disruptive, technically totally r.a.i.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 06:23:28 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 12:20:57 PM »
Thanks  :clap

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 12:43:18 PM »
Follow up, if you are only playing a campaign that goes from 1st to 10th level and then ends, what kinds of builds would you recommend?

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 12:58:20 PM »
Follow up, if you are only playing a campaign that goes from 1st to 10th level and then ends, what kinds of builds would you recommend?
Winged Tielfing Warlock whose best buds with a Disciple of Goodberry Cleric and a Lore Bard?

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 10:21:54 AM »
Winged Tielfing Warlock whose best buds with a Disciple of Goodberry Cleric and a Lore Bard?
You'd prefer a warlock 1-10 over a wizard 1-10?