Author Topic: WTF News stories  (Read 153596 times)

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
WTF News stories
« on: July 20, 2012, 07:32:36 AM »
I figured this didn't fit in any of the existing threads, and why not make one for crazy news stories that don't really fit in Off Topic Fun?

Gunman kills 14 and wounds 50 at a early Friday showing of the new Batman movie
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline SneeR

• Legendary Member
  • Sneering
    • View Profile
Re: WTF News stories
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 02:17:50 PM »
I hope that pig-fucker gets tortured to death.
A smile from ear to ear
3.5 is disappointingly flawed.

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 03:42:23 PM »

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
  • You have one round to give a rat's ass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 02:20:05 AM »
I figured this didn't fit in any of the existing threads, and why not make one for crazy news stories that don't really fit in Off Topic Fun?

The odds of him getting off with the insanity plea are so minuscule at this point that people would revolt if he gets anything less than a life sentence.
Concerned about how moderation works here? Please PM this account.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 02:34:52 AM »

Warner Brothers is being sued for making violent movies.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 03:10:58 PM »

The odds of him getting off with the insanity plea are so minuscule at this point that people would revolt if he gets anything less than a life sentence.

Yeah ... (bolding) ... the howling hoards
got the NCAA's to abandon Due Process
toward PSU's handling of the Sandusky
case.  I'm not saying their punishment
was wrong, I am saying the process was iffy.
Technically it wasn't via the justice system at all.

This guy is a worse situation.  But he has
a track record of getting real Psych help.
I bet guilty + Life in a Psych Prison.
Sad.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 03:13:08 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
  • My personal text is impersonal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 09:20:46 PM »
Sure would be nice with a justice system based on what works to reduce crime, rather than what feels "right".
Good thing that's actually the case in my country.

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 09:28:02 PM »
Sure would be nice with a justice system based on what works to reduce crime, rather than what feels "right".
What solution is that?

The death penalty doesn't reduce crime, according to several studies.
Incarceration doesn't reduce crime, and often winds up creating criminals better trained in crime via exposure to more experienced criminals.
I've not seen any positive studies on rehabilitation rates for violent criminals, so I'm not inclined to believe that a rehabilitation program is super-effective, either.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

shugenja handbook; talk about it here

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 09:37:55 PM »
how bout "If the murder/rape/arson/kidnapping/assault rate in your state exceeds 20 people per million we nuke that fucker till it glows."

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/07/27/2204070/does-political-billboard-go-too.html
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 09:40:18 PM by bhu »

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
  • My personal text is impersonal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 09:51:05 PM »
Incarceration doesn't reduce crime, and often winds up creating criminals better trained in crime via exposure to more experienced criminals.
I've not seen any positive studies on rehabilitation rates for violent criminals, so I'm not inclined to believe that a rehabilitation program is super-effective, either.
Rehabilitation and decent facilities. Norway is better off than Denmark on the statistics, but either is much better off than the USA.
Also, our jails aren't privately run, so they don't lobby for stuff that makes it so that more people get thrown in jail.
http://internationalbusiness.wikia.com/wiki/Norway%27s_Legal_System_Affects_the_Crime_Rate

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
What solution is that?

Reactive measures like incarceration and execution just takes extant criminals out of circulation, but improvements in the environment(clean streets, good illumination), birth control, education, healthcare, employment rates and minimum wage are known to be good for preventing 'routine' violent crimes, mainly by wiping out motive and moving violent crime away from the norm. Moderate to high standards of living with small income gaps help as well.

Won't do much for this type of massacre though, theres limited prevention available since these are caused by individuals snapping under whatever reasons. About the best you can do is limit the number of people they can kill before the law catches up to them(limiting the firepower available to civilians, increasing surveillance, etc). Around here, the biggest weapons easily available are handguns(police, militia equivalents and contraband) , shotguns and bush whacking knives. Not very conducive to large massacres(mostly, the offenders would wound/kill a couple of people before everyone else is out of range), and much easier to stop by the authorities. Upping surveillance would increase the response time, giving the guy who's suspiciously heavily armed and armored a good questioning. Neither option seems popular to americans though.

Of course, generally these massacres are also not usually repeat offenders. Career criminals do not make a habit of killing sprees, its a fast track to getting bumped up in priority, getting arrested and executed. Rehabilitation is less useful than say...improved mental healthcare.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 12:26:59 AM »
http://www.geekologie.com/2012/07/war-machine-company-selling-14m-personal.php

eeeeeeee!

"It is gasoline fueled and runs on a diesel engine."  Now, admittedly it's possible to switch a diesel to gas, but I still laugh at their screwup there.

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 11:18:06 AM »
The gatling gun fires when the pilot smiles. THE GATLING GUN FIRES WHEN THE PILOT SMILES.

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 11:21:50 AM »
Oh God...

And here I was thinking the USA was going to finish their Terminator first...

Offline darqueseid

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 12:02:18 PM »
They released the victims list for colorado shooting... the dude killed a 6-year old girl. 
Really? 
it takes a special kind of evil to do that... he SHOULD be locked up in isolation for the rest of his life preferrably while being tortured in whichever way the victims families choose daily. 

The death penalty's giving him the easy way out.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 12:38:07 PM »
They released the victims list for colorado shooting... the dude killed a 6-year old girl. 
Really? 
it takes a special kind of evil to do that... he SHOULD be locked up in isolation for the rest of his life preferrably while being tortured in whichever way the victims families choose daily. 

The death penalty's giving him the easy way out.

Eh, it kinda depends on one's beliefs.  The death penalty is a ticket to Hell and eternal suffering after all.

Admittedly it would be far more interesting to have him constantly bombarded by the mech's BB guns while the operator smiles.  Call it therapy.