Author Topic: Pathfinder classes that keep working smoothly?  (Read 3776 times)

Offline twoswords

• Lurker
  • All hail the mighty Bruce!
    • View Profile
Pathfinder classes that keep working smoothly?
« on: November 28, 2011, 10:42:13 PM »
Looking at rolling up a character for a new Pathfinder campaign. All Pathfinder material is available. I am that kind of person who enjoys characters that can hold true to either the same class, or follow a strong concept (i.e. rogue --> ranger --> warrior works, but rogue --> barbarian --> wizard to gain max benefits feel weird).
I am not opposed to maxing a character, I just want to do it utilizing the main strengths, feats, etc, not by dipping into different classes to try to add stuff that will work well at level 20 when it all comes together.

What are some of the classes that you have played that you have found works well in the long run, can keep the concept flair going, and do not fall behind to become a 2nd rank character behind the "class-hoppers"?

Offline Mooncrow

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The man who will be Pirate King
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder classes that keep working smoothly?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 11:41:22 PM »
I think the Summoner is probably my favorite PF class by a pretty large margin.  It's not the most powerful, but the flavor is excellent, and fills a nice niche all the way up. 

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 01:51:57 AM »
Genuine multiclassing is very weak in PF, pretty much everyone is better off staying with the same class other than a small possible dip here or there.

Pretty much any class with eventual access to 6th level or higher spells will hold up well at all levels.

Offline rasmuswagner

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 01:53:24 AM »
Looking at rolling up a character for a new Pathfinder campaign. All Pathfinder material is available. I am that kind of person who enjoys characters that can hold true to either the same class, or follow a strong concept (i.e. rogue --> ranger --> warrior works, but rogue --> barbarian --> wizard to gain max benefits feel weird).
I am not opposed to maxing a character, I just want to do it utilizing the main strengths, feats, etc, not by dipping into different classes to try to add stuff that will work well at level 20 when it all comes together.

What are some of the classes that you have played that you have found works well in the long run, can keep the concept flair going, and do not fall behind to become a 2nd rank character behind the "class-hoppers"?

Multiclassing is hardly ever worth it in PF.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 05:11:54 AM »
^^
Slightly overstating the case, Multiclassing is generally its own reward(since the whole point is to loot abilities from other classes, especially low hanging fruits), but unless you have a particular ability you're looking for, yes, you're generally better off staying in your class due to the scaling abilities available.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline radionausea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 09:10:09 AM »
I think the Alchemist is my favourite of the pathfinder classes.  Flavourful, adaptable to different archetypes, versatile and can hold its own in most parties.

For a pretty hideous (as in thematically a bit gross) but good build I like this one by Ed-Zero. 
Something inside me dies when I see the word fallacy applied to ideas held about roleplaying. And a small bit of vomit comes up when I see a character called a 'toon'.

Offline radionausea

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 09:12:52 AM »
I was referring to the skinsend trick in terms of hideousness, not much helped by the picture accompanying it!
Something inside me dies when I see the word fallacy applied to ideas held about roleplaying. And a small bit of vomit comes up when I see a character called a 'toon'.

Offline Aradu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 10:18:35 AM »
Synergist Summoner dip works well if you handle the BAB replacement issue sensibly. And Paladin/Sorcerer1/Dragon Disciple.

Offline twoswords

• Lurker
  • All hail the mighty Bruce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 10:46:03 AM »
Thanks all for the input. I made my decision and I am going with a wizard. If you have any input or advice for the poor fellow, feel free to look here: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1722.0