Author Topic: The Keep - Part 1  (Read 90586 times)

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
The Keep - Part 1
« on: November 09, 2011, 11:24:03 PM »
When last we left our heroes... they had just defeated the Kobold raiders within their lair, including their leader Ironteeth.  Looting the bodies yields 12 gp and 48 sp, along with the weapons and armor worn by the creatures, though most of the armor is fitted for small creatures. Ironteeth has a small pouch in his possession, containing a silver key and a scroll of parchment written in common.
The message reads as follows:
My spy in Winterhaven suggests we keep an eye out for visitors to the area.
It probably does not matter. In a few more days, I’ll completely open the rift.
Then Winterhaven’s people will serve as food for those Lord Orcus sends to do my bidding.

-Kalarel

Given this information, along with bits and pieces known or deduced by members of the party, it seems that something far more sinister is going on than mere raids on traveling merchants, especially given that several members of your party have gone missing and at least one has seemingly arrived from out of nowhere. Lord Mytos, Amnon, and Golkonda were sent out here with Minharath the Psion, Curyll the Ranger, and Aanna, a guide sent along by their contact in Winterhaven, Eilian the Old. Eilian sent the group out to investigate the disappearance of his colleague Douven Staul, who had gathered information on the strange goings-on in the area.

There is no distinct link between what is quickly becoming evident cult activity and the artifact that Bordrek Stonefist hired the original group to find, but finding answers to the pressing matters at hand may turn up clues. Perhaps your new allies have some more information? Or perhaps there is something within the large chest in the northeast corner of the room which might contain answers.

Zap:
(click to show/hide)

Cal:
(click to show/hide)

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
Re: The Keep - Part 1
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 11:25:23 PM »
Before the "break," Lord Mytos had a bit to say regarding the message on Ironteeth's scroll:
"I don't presume that the chest is trapped, but in other matters..."

Looking a bit guilty, Gerand pulls the necklace from the dragon cultists out of his pouch. "I was hoping we could complete this task without his name being spread around, but it looks as though that is no longer an option. I recognized a great evil on this necklace when we took it off the first party we slew. These cultists.... they are incredibly dangerous. They serve a demon prince known by many names, but most often as Orcus. I do not believe that these simple fools could have the power to bring him forth, but if they have any power they might bring forth some of his followers. This would be quite a catastrophe, obviously. As odd as the state of this place is, I can only assume they have been fooling around with quite involved temporal rituals..."

Offline Calchexxis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 03:44:59 PM »
Cal steps amongst the group of adventurers leaning on his litany-etched staff.

"I seem to be lost, among other things, not that I mind the opportunity to bring light to the dark places of this world but if I may... who are you all?"

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 12:47:34 AM »
A tiefling nods in greeting.  "Things have been very odd in this cavern.  I am Amnon, holy warrior of Dol Arrah.  It is good to meet another bringer of light."

Offline Calchexxis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 01:22:43 AM »
Cal clasps a mailed fist over his breastplate and nods to Amnon.

"Indeed it is, tell me then if you would, where am I? and what manner of foul magics were those kobolds using?"

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 01:57:20 AM »
"Demon magic, judging by the talismans we find." Not a holy brother in any way, Gerand is nonetheless respectful, and greets this newcomer with a strong handshake and a slight bow. "Lord Gerand Mytos, a warrior.

"First, though.... did anyone else feel this strange flux of power course through their bodies and minds? I seem to have acquired an understanding of things I did not know before...."
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 02:22:43 AM »
Besides the surge of power and knowledge, you each also catch the occasional voice, like a faint memory nearly faded away, playing across your minds.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 04:13:45 AM »
Amnon nods.  "My goddess spoke to me, bestowing upon me the ability to heal others from a short distance."

Offline Calchexxis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 07:28:14 PM »
Cal spits on the ground at the mention of demon magic.

"Then we have common cause, if you will have me then I will wield Il'Yannah's light in your service."

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 08:42:09 PM »
After the holy man's introduction, the githyanki follows.

"The name's Golkonda. I study magic items and artifacts. Well... It might sound ungrateful, but what are you doing in a place like this?"
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 08:53:42 PM by Risada »

Offline Calchexxis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
Cal only shakes his head at the question, "To be perfectly honest I'm wondering that as much as you all must be. I was in the midst of a meditative trance, communing with the Light when I felt a sudden surge of purpose... followed by a sense of being displaced. I felt a voice in my mind but it spoke in ideas, shapes and visions, rather than words. When I opened my eyes I felt power flowing through me and that's when I joined the battle."

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 10:33:53 PM »
Golkonda feels something climbing up his back, then latching onto his shoulder. He suddenly hears whispers in a language he had scarcely heard before, but which he instantly understands.

"Good work dispatching those dirty kobolds, master! Truly, Karik is in awe. Will you be harvesting their souls, now? I think now is a good time for that. May I watch?"

What appears to be a tiny, ruddy-hued, devilish creature perches itself on Golkonda's shoulder. It seems to be speaking to him in a soft, yet disturbingly harsh voice, as though it has lived through a lifetime of smoking tobacco and more; however, none of you can understand what it is saying.

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 11:51:29 PM »
Initially, Gerand doesn't notice the thing, until the hoarse voice draws his ears and eyes to Golkonda. Slowly, he raises his bloodied sword high and parallel to his ear, as if to thrust. "Golkonda.... stay still.... there's something on you...."
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 01:55:51 AM »
Amnon sees the familiar and raises his sword and shield.  "Beware, a devil!"

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 04:39:00 AM »
"...huh? Devil? Where?"

The gith looks to his shoulder, and notices the small creature sitting on it. Somehow, Golkonda feels this creature is not.... terribly evil... what's more... he feels the creature is linked to himself.

"Don't attack it... I will talk with it..."

Then, using the same language the creature spoke before, Golkonda speaks.

"...Do I know you? Who are you? Somehow, I have a feeling you are almost an old friend..."

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 05:08:35 PM »
The imp looks taken aback, as much as an imp can.

"Who am I? I am Karik, your loyal servant. You summoned me with a beacon of arcane energy, signifying the agreement to a Familiar Pact. As such, I am bound to your service, whether that be to provide guidance, knowledge, or to perform other tasks." He does a little bow towards Risada's face.

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 05:29:04 PM »
"Hmm... maybe he is the source of the voice in my head?" Thinks the githyanki, puzzled. After some seconds, he continues speaking with the imp in the strange language they seem to share.

"So you and I are linked, huh? Then maybe you were the one speaking into my head earlier? And what is this talk about harvesting souls?"

Offline Calchexxis

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 12:48:50 AM »
Cal allows a glimmer of radiance to burn in his hand.

"I am unaccustomed to trafficking with these creatures... tell me is this usual amongst your cohorts?"

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 12:55:46 PM »
"Well, my last master stored souls for use in his spellcasting. It increased their power a hundred-fold. I just assumed you might do so as well. Karik likes watching the bodies squirm as the soul is extracted..."

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 02:38:57 PM »
"Actually, this is my first time dealing with creatures of this kind... I am finding this quite... interesting..."

After Karik's comment, Golkonda continues, with a slightly disgusted look on his face.

"...I think I will pass on extracting their souls... besides, if what Lord Mythos said is true, these souls already have an owner... Messing with them would get us even more problems..."