Author Topic: Barbarian Powered Up Rewrite  (Read 4540 times)

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
Barbarian Powered Up Rewrite
« on: June 28, 2015, 10:36:13 PM »
   I've been working on rewriting many lower tier classes, and have finally gotten to trying to improve some tier 4 ones, so they are more in line with ToB classes and the other tier 5 classes I rewrote.
   For barbarian, I wanted to make their rage better, and instead of going the PF route of making is rounds per day, I instead just fixed the duration to an entire encounter, in addition to a few other changes.  I also removed Trap Sense, and instead replaced it with a good Reflex save.  Then I added energy resistance, a few bonus feats, and a few other extra effects.
   Critiques would be appreciated.

Barbarian

Hit Die: d12

Alignment: any non-lawful

Saves
Lv   Base Attack Bonus   Fort   Ref     Will   Class Abilities
1 +1+2+2+0Fast Movement, Illiteracy, Rage 1/day
2+2+3+3+0Uncanny Dodge, Crushing Rush, Improved Bull Rush
3+3+3+3+1Energy Resistance (1st Type)
4+4+4+4+1Rage 2/day, Damage Reduction 1/-
5+5+4+4+1Improved Uncanny Dodge, Raging Smash
6+6/+1+5+5+2Energy Resistance (2nd Type), Improved Crushing Rush
7+7/+2+5+5+2Damage Reduction 2/-, Bonus Feat
8+8/+3+6+6+2Rage 3/day, Greater Rage
9+9/+4+6+6+3Energy Resistance (3rd Type), Overhead Smash
10+10/+5+7+7+3Damage Reduction 3/-, Improved Raging Smash
11+11/+6/+1+7+7+3Raging Leap, Greater Crushing Rush, Bonus Feat
12+12/+7/+2+8+8+4Rage 4/day, Energy Resistance (4th Type)
13+13/+8/+3+8+8+4Damage Reduction 4/-, Poison Immunity
14+14/+9/+4+9+9+4Tireless Rage, Spell Resistance
15+15/+10/+5+9+9+5Energy Resistance (5th Type), Master Raging Smash, Bonus Feat
16+16/+11/+6/+1+10+10+5Rage 5/day, Damage Reduction 5/-, Mighty Rage
17+17/+12/+7/+2+10+10+5Indomitable Will, Supreme Crushing Rush
18+18/+13/+8/+3+11+11+6Energy Resistance (6th Type)
19+19/+14/+9/+4+11+11+6Damage Reduction 6/-, Bonus Feat
20+20/+15/+10/+5+12+12+6Rage 6/day, Savage Champion

Class Skills (4+Int/lv): Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (Geography) (Int), Knowledge (Nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str)

Weapon and Armour Proficiency: Barbarians are proficient in all simple and martial weapons, light and medium armours, and shields (except tower shields).

Fast Movement (Ex): A barbarian's speed is faster than normal for his race, by +10 feet.  This benefit is lost if he wears heavy armour or carries a heavy load.  Apply the bonus before any speed reductions for armour worn or load carried.

Illiteracy: Barbarians do not start with the ability to read any language.  A barbarian may gain literacy in every language he can speak by spending 2 skill points, thereby removing this ability.  If a barbarian takes class levels in a different class that does not also have illiteracy, he automatically becomes literate in all languages he can speak.  If a character that is literate takes a level in barbarian, he does not become illiterate.

Rage (Ex): A barbarian can fly into a killer frenzy a limited number of times per day.  He temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength, +4 bonus to Constitution, +2 bonus to Will saves, and temporary hit points equal to two times his barbarian level.  The Constitution increase adds 2 bonus hit points per hit die, but these hit points go away when the rage ends.  The temporary hit points last for the duration of the rage, and are lost before the barbarian's regular hit points.
   While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills, except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride.  He also cannot use Concentration or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, spell trigger, or spell completion to function.  He can use feats, except for Combat Expertise, item creation feats, metamagic feats, and reserve feats.
   Rage lasts for an entire encounter, or for up to two minutes if used out of combat, unless it is ended prematurely.  The barbarian may voluntarily end it early as a free action on his turn.  Certain spells or effects may also end it prematurely, such as Calm Emotions.  When the rage ends, the barbarian is fatigued (-2 penalty to Strength, -2 penalty to Dexterity, cannot run or charge) until he is able to take five minutes of rest.
   A barbarian may enter a rage once per day, plus once every four levels (4, 8, 12, 16, 20).  Entering a rage is a free action that can only be used on the barbarian's turn.  Should a barbarian be subject to the spell Rage, he may choose to either take the spell's normal effects or gain the benefits of this class ability for the spell's duration, without using up one of his daily uses of it.  If he chooses to use his own rage bonuses, he will become fatigued when the spell ends, as normal for this rage.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Upon reaching 2nd level, a barbarian can react to danger before his conscious mind registers it.  He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker.  However, he still loses the bonus if immobilized.
   If a barbarian already has Uncanny Dodge from another source, such as levels in another class, he automatically gains Improved Uncanny Dodge instead (see below).

Crushing Rush (Ex): When a barbarian of at least 2nd level bull rushes a foe, he can crush him against a wall or other barrier.  Should the barbarian bull rush a foe far enough to ram him into a wall or other barrier, he deals 4d6 damage plus his Strength bonus to the foe, and to the barrier, before hardness.  If the damage would be sufficient to smash through the barrier, the foe only takes half damage, but the bull rush may continue, and may even hit another barrier.  If the bull rush would shove the foe into another creature, both the foe and creature each take 2d6 damage, and the creature hit is moved aside to the nearest open space in order for the bull rush to continue.

Improved Bull Rush: A barbarian also gains Improved Bull Rush at 2nd level as a bonus feat.  This is a part of the training for Crushing Rush, allowing him to use it without provoking attacks of opportunity from his targets.

Energy Resistance (Ex): At 3rd level, a barbarian gains resistance to energy damage.  He chooses one energy type from: Fire, Cold, Electric, Acid, Sonic, Force, Negative Energy, or Positive Energy, and gains resistance to that type equal to his class level.
   At levels 6, 9, 12, 15, and 18, he chooses a new energy type and gains the same amount of resistance to that new type.  This resistance stacks with other resistances to the same types, and cannot reduce damage taken to below 0.

Damage Reduction (Ex): When a barbarian reaches 4th level, he gains the ability to shrug off a small amount of physical damage.  Reduce any physical damage taken (weapons, falls, natural weapons) by 1.  Every three levels thereafter (7, 10, 13, 16, 19), the damage reduction is improved by 1.  This cannot reduce any damage taken to below 0.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Barbarians gain Improved Uncanny Dodge at 5th level, meaning they can no longer be flanked.  This defence denies rogues from being able to flank the barbarian, unless the rogue has at least four levels more than the barbarian.
   Levels from multiple classes that can grant Improved Uncanny Dodge stack for determining the level a rogue needs to flank the barbarian.

Raging Smash (Ex): A barbarian of 5th level or higher learns how to channel his strength directionally while raging.  When benefitting from his rage, the barbarian can make an attack as a standard action or as part of a charge.  If he hits, in addition to dealing damage, his might attempts to knock the foe back.  The foe must make a Fortitude save against a DC equal to the damage dealt by this attack.  For every 5 points the foe fails his save by, he is shoved away from the barbarian 5 feet, in any direction that does not pass through the barbarian's space.  The foe gains a +4 bonus to his save for every size category he is larger than the barbarian, or a -4 penalty for every size category smaller.  The foe also gains a +4 bonus if he has stability or otherwise is more sturdy than normal, such as having four or more legs, or takes a -4 penalty instead if he is airborne.  This knockback can trigger the damage from the barbarian's Crushing Rush, as well, as if the barbarian were bull rushing the foe back.

Improved Crushing Rush (Ex): At 6th level, the barbarian's Crushing Rush improves.  The barbarian now gains a +5 bonus to his opposed roll when attempting a bull rush, the damage dealt to the foe when hitting a barrier increases to 8d6 plus double the barbarian's Strength bonus, and the damage for hitting another creature becomes 4d6.

Bonus Feat: At 7th level, and every 4 levels thereafter, the barbarian gains a bonus feat.  It can be any feat from the following list, but he must still meet all requirements before being able to take it.
   Blind Fight, Brutal Throw, Power Throw, Close-Quarters Fighting, Endurance, Diehard, Extra Rage, Great Fortitude, Improved Critical, Improved Initiative, Danger Sense, Improved Unarmed Strike, Instantaneous Rage, Intimidating Rage, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Sunder, Leap Attack, Power Throw, Powerful Charge, Quick Draw, Throw Anything, Track

Greater Rage: A barbarian that reaches 8th level increases the might of his rages.  The bonuses from raging improve to +6 Strength, +6 Constitution, +3 to Will saves, and three times his class level in temporary hit points.  His rage otherwise functions as normal.

Overhead Smash (Ex): At 9th level, a barbarian can start to deliver devastating overhead attacks that pound the enemy to the ground.  By taking a -4 penalty to his attack roll, the barbarian can attempt an Overhead Smash.  If he hits, he deals damage as he normally would, and also makes a trip check against the foe, without provoking an attack of opportunity.  If he succeeds, the foe is knocked prone, and if he fails, he cannot be tripped in return.

Improved Raging Smash (Ex): Once he reaches 10th level, a barbarian's knockback attack improves.  From now on, whenever the barbarian initiates a Raging Smash, the foe is knocked back 5 feet for every 2 he fails the Fortitude save, and the DC to resist is increased by 5.

Raging Leap (Ex): An 11th level barbarian expands his frenzying capabilities.  While raging, a barbarian may make a full attack whenever he charges, gaining the +2 bonus to attack on every attack for the turn.  If the barbarian chooses to use Raging Smash during the charge, he can use it on the first attack only.

Greater Crushing Rush (Ex): After reaching 11th level, a barbarian's bull rush becomes even more violent.  The barbarian's bonus to the opposed roll when bull rushing is now +10, the damage dealt to the foe when hitting a barrier increases to 12d6 plus triple the barbarian's Strength bonus, and the damage for hitting another creature becomes 6d6.

Poison Immunity (Ex): Upon reaching 13th level, a barbarian becomes so tough that poisons no longer affect him.  He is now completely immune to the effects of all poisons.

Tireless Rage: After reaching level 14, a barbarian no longer becomes fatigued after his rage ends, regardless of the reason.  Even the Rage spell will not cause fatigue if he takes his own raging benefits instead of the spell's normal effects.

Spell Resistance (Ex): Also at 14th level, a barbarian's inherent mistrust of magic manifests as an actual defense.  From now on, the barbarian has spell resistance equal to 10 plus his class level.  This follows all the normal rules for spell resistance.

Master Raging Smash (Ex): A barbarian that reaches 15th level masters his raging knockback.  He now gets a +10 bonus to the save DC to resist it, and the foe is launched backward 5 feet for every point he fails his Fortitude save by.

Mighty Rage: At 16th level, the barbarian's raging grows even more powerful.  The rage bonuses further improve to +8 Strength, +8 Constitution, +4 to Will saves, and temporary hit points equal to five times his class level.  He otherwise follows all the rules for raging as normal.

Indomitable Will (Ex): Once a barbarian reaches 17th level, his determination grows so insurmountable that he becomes immune to all mind-affecting effects.

Supreme Crushing Rush (Ex): At 17th level, a barbarian also masters his destructive shoving.  The bull rush bonus on the opposed roll becomes +15, the damage dealt to the foe when hitting a barrier increases to 16d6 plus quadruple the barbarian's Strength bonus, and the damage for hitting another creature becomes 8d6.

Savage Champion (Ex): Should a barbarian reach level 20, he becomes an exemplar of his kind.  He gains a permanent +2 bonus to Strength and Constitution, and his speed increases by a further 10 feet.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 01:40:45 PM by Kethrian »
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Re: Barbarian Powered Up Rewrite
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 03:01:14 AM »
If he takes the resistance on positive energy doesnt that nerf healing?

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 03:49:49 AM »
If he takes the resistance on positive energy doesnt that nerf healing?

Yes, it would.  Unless the barbarian is undead, in which case resistance to negative energy would reduce healing.

Edit:  Actually, no it shouldn't.  Energy resistance only reduces damage from that energy type, so it would have no effect on healing or other effects of an energy type.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 03:58:49 AM by Kethrian »
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline cfjeldstrom

• Lurker
  • What causes Purple to taste so amazing?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 08:08:16 AM »
Just a thought, after considering the class concept a little. If the barbarian is supposed to be fairly tank-like, would some sort of party defender be out of line? I am thinking an ability to redirect attacks from allies to the barbarian, or deflecting incoming ranged attacks. In this way a barbarian could help protect those party members who are in danger of being severely injured. The deflecting of melee attacks could even be a staged affair, with it initially spreading the damage between the original target and the barbarian, or some such method.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 08:34:44 AM »
So, this is clearly a stronger barbarian than the one in the PHB, but I'm curious - what tier are you attempting to balance it against? Looking at it, I'm assuming T3, although, in that case, I'd say it probably doesn't go far enough, being as T3 is the realm of the "reasonable" spellcaster, and looking this over, I feel those are still more versatile/powerful than this class is.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 12:45:22 PM »
@cfjeldstrom: I don't really see the barbarian class as a defender type.  They're more of an offensive powerhouse that can take a lot of damage.

@Stratovarius: I was aiming for being roughly on par with ToB classes, such as warblade.  So yes, T3, but doesn't necessarily have to compete with same tier casters, as the party role wouldn't be the same.  What kind of abilities would you suggest to add, however?
What do I win?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 01:53:16 PM »
I'd say the biggest thing missing is versatility - part of the reason ToB classes are fun to play is because they allow the player to take many different actions in a given combat, and to make choices each round. The Barbarian (and this is a problem with the PHB one as well) can Rage, once an encounter, and otherwise doesn't have a single active class ability, and has to rely on special attacks, magic items, and feats for anything other than "I power attack". By comparison, the ToB classes focus on using a series of different abilities, much more in relation to the spellcasting of a sorcerer, thus having the player more actively involved in decision making each round.

It's by no means a perfect overlap, because it exists in a very custom environment, but my Savage class is what I wrote as a replacement for the Barbarian for Arhosa. And one of the primary design decisions I made for the setting is that all classes have either Tome of Battle or Spellcasting based powers, as well as a number of active abilities, because I wanted players to have choice.

In terms of abilities that I'd add, I'd start looking down the line of Marshal/Warleader abilities as the Barbarian grows in power. Think of someone growing into the position of being a tribal leader. And perhaps also abilities along the lines of focusing on certain categories or combinations of weapons, such as ones associated with a particular tribal totem. But what I see wrong with the class is less the mechanical strength (all of those passive defences probably have it closely on par with the Warblade, especially in endurance fights), but more that it reflects the PHB design mechanic rather than the more interesting and fun design paradigm that ToB epitomized.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 06:15:01 AM »
Very good point about adding active options to the class.  I'll be thinking on what exactly fits my concept for the class (gonna use the Conan and Scorpion King movies for some inspiration).  Also looking at your class for some ideas.
What do I win?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 07:15:30 AM »
I would say be a little careful with my Arhosan content - it's all aimed roughly at Tier 3, but I throw out every WotC race & class, base and prestige, and most of their other material too, so it's a tad different. With that in mind, what you'll probably be looking for, at least as it relates to the Savage, are these threads:
Martial Fusillades - Point based ToB
Martial Feats
Arhosan Feats

The simplest recommendation might be to turn the barbarian into a martial adept by picking a few very thematically appropriate schools and giving the class a progression in those - although I can see why you wouldn't want to do that, given it could steal some of the uniqueness away from the class.

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 09:40:35 PM »
Very good point about adding active options to the class.  I'll be thinking on what exactly fits my concept for the class (gonna use the Conan and Scorpion King movies for some inspiration).  Also looking at your class for some ideas.
A lot of ToB highlights fit Conan pretty well, actually.  I'm thinking of some of the swift action movement (though you have some pouncing in there already), as Conan is startlingly agile and mobile (he has virtually all the qualities of a jungle cat that is capable of scaling mountains, just ask REH).  Stuff like Iron Heart Surge also fits to a T. 

The idea, if not the execution, of some of Pathfinder's Rage Powers fit pretty well.  They go too far into the bestial aspect of the Barbarian -- which I'm not necessarily opposed to, I just don't think it should be the automatic or default -- but you might want to take a look at them for some inspiration.  The spell sundering stuff, along with an Iron Heart Surge type mechanic, might level the playing field between mundanes and magic, at least a little bit, and I also like the huge bonus to combat maneuvers and Strength checks (and maybe expand it to Dex or other physical stats?).  Tying those to a swift action, so you couldn't stack them all but they'd still be readily accessible, could be an idea.

Basically, you need options, both active and reactive (defensive, etc.).  Hope that helps.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 09:57:47 PM »
Huh, I wonder if I should try to incorporate something similar to what I'm doing for the Samurai and Monk re-writes I'm currently working on.  I've created a new system for them, which gives a ton of active/reactive options, and I'm just cleaning up the details for those classes right now.  I'll try to get them post ready as quick as possible, and put them up to see what people think.  And then from it, some ideas for what to do with this Barbarian might arise.
What do I win?

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 08:59:11 PM »
Okay, I have added some new, active class abilities which give the barbarian options in combat, while preserving the flavour of the class's focus on strength, power, and rage.  They are: Crushing Rush (and its improved versions) - inspired by Dungeon Crasher, Raging Smash (and its improvements), and Overhead Smash.  I had (briefly) considered applying the Crushing Rush damage to Overhead Smash, but that would've been too overpowering, considering you can full attack and make every attack an OS.
What do I win?