Author Topic: Fun Finds v7.0 - Now with +15% more reposts!  (Read 209510 times)

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds v7.0 - Now with +15% more reposts!
« Reply #640 on: March 29, 2019, 09:12:32 AM »
Could you advance it with other Prestige Classes as normal? 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: March 30, 2019, 12:03:01 AM »
Could you advance it with other Prestige Classes as normal?

It's unclear, since it's not traditional spellcasting. Normal PrCs have the "as if they had gained a level in the previous spellcasting class" language, which debatably covers it since this asks "how many levels in this class do you have?" and should return "for the purposes of spellcasting, I have gained Class+PrC levels"

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: March 30, 2019, 03:40:19 PM »
Maybe : just Uncanny Trickster and Legacy Champion, and a hypothetical Epic Ollam prog ?

Or didn't PF do a thing with the War Mind prc that either had it's own prog xOr advanced the PsyWar prog ?

Or having that cleric prog is good enough to extend it with +1 Divine prcs ?
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline magic9mushroom

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: March 31, 2019, 01:39:20 AM »
Maybe : just Uncanny Trickster and Legacy Champion, and a hypothetical Epic Ollam prog ?
The epic Ollam prog is "N/A". Only PrCs that are at least ten levels long can have epic progressions.

Offline magic9mushroom

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: April 08, 2019, 01:54:24 AM »
I just realised that Illumian power sigils work in Wild Shape. Aeshkrau makes bonus spells go off Str. Holy crap.

I mean, it doesn't hit save DCs or required-stat, so it doesn't actually change the way Druid optimises, it's just a giant pile of extra bonus spells.

Offline Argent Fatalis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Nature, red in tooth and claw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: April 13, 2019, 10:19:52 AM »
A more or less useless find out of Complete Warrior, but the Nature's Warrior prestige class actually grants druid spellcasting if the character has no divine spellcasting classes.

Spells per Day: At every even-numbered level gained in the nature's warrior class, the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in a divine spellcasting class she belonged to before adding the prestige class. If the character did not belong to a divine spellcasting class before attaining 2nd level in the prestige class, she gains a druid spellcasting level. In no case, however, does she gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained, except for an increased effective level of spellcasting. If a character had more than one divine spellcasting class before becoming a nature's warrior, she must decide to which class she adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day.

So if one took four levels, they would cast spells as a 2nd level druid.

Offline magic9mushroom

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: April 17, 2019, 05:48:07 AM »
Okay, so I just happened across Ordained Champion's and Spellsword's Channel Spell. Now, before you tell me that these and the abuses are known, or that Ordained Champion got errata-nerfed, I searched the forum and the specific issue I found is not mentioned.

Specifically... you don't cast the spell. You channel it into your weapon, spending the spell slot ("as if you had cast the spell"), and then you poke something with the weapon and it goes off. This bypasses material and XP components.

Ordained Champion's errata-nerf does cut down on the abuses of this, since most cleric spells with material and XP components have long casting times, but it doesn't remove it entirely.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: April 17, 2019, 09:10:41 PM »
Am I reading this right?
https://dndtools.net/feats/secrets-of-sarlona--14/quori-dread--2347/
with
http://therafimrpg.wikidot.com/imperious-command

By RAW a Kalastar can auto-1v1 anything not immune to fear if they spend a move action each round?
Hmm.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: April 17, 2019, 09:55:09 PM »
Am I reading this right?
with

By RAW a Kalastar can auto-1v1 anything not immune to fear if they spend a move action each round?

...That appears to be correct.

Offline magic9mushroom

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: April 17, 2019, 11:56:49 PM »
Am I reading this right?
with

It's a stretch, because Imperious Command is clearly referring to the "Demoralise Opponent" use of the Intimidate skill. I suppose if you say demoralising is demoralising, it'd work.

Also, Imperious Command is relatively cheesy to begin with, particularly when combined with Fearsome from the same book.

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: April 17, 2019, 11:58:30 PM »
It seems like one of those cases where it is using Demoralize as a descriptor, rather than as what is inflicted by the Intimidate skill. It has an effect applied to it on top of and separate from what Intimidate would do, and it lasts indefinitely until you choose a new target or they go out of range. I think that effect is the intent of the ability, not having an auto success intimidate check.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 12:00:38 AM by TC X0 Lt 0X »
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline Nanashi

• it means "he who has no name" in a foreign tongue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 07, 2019, 09:51:18 PM »
Blade of Orien is already one of the best non-ToB martial classes in the game, but look at this

Orien's Grasp (Sp): At 4th level, you learn to teleport small objects into your waiting hand. By expending one use of your dimension leap ability, you can target an object that weighs no more than 5 pounds and is within 25 feet. The object must either be carried on your person or in line of sight. An object on your person can be teleported as a swift action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity; teleporting any other object is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity. An object held or in use by another creature receives a Will save against this effect (DC 12 + your Cha modifier).

It's a spell-like ability, meaning no noise or gestures or other way of detecting it. Even past the ability to rip the clothes off someone's back, the ability has plenty of uses. The lowish save is easily fixed by a Hexblade 4/??? 2 (Paladin of Tyranny 3 if Evil) entry and focusing on intimidate, which tanks enemy saves.

The hard part is finding some way to increase the weight limit.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 08, 2019, 01:19:47 AM »
You don't need to worry about nuking the holder's saving throws, because the ability specifically targets the item

Quote from: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm
Damaging Magic Items

A magic item doesn’t need to make a saving throw unless it is unattended, it is specifically targeted by the effect, or its wielder rolls a natural 1 on his save. Magic items should always get a saving throw against spells that might deal damage to them— even against attacks from which a nonmagical item would normally get no chance to save. Magic items use the same saving throw bonus for all saves, no matter what the type (Fortitude, Reflex, or Will). A magic item’s saving throw bonus equals 2 + one-half its caster level (round down). The only exceptions to this are intelligent magic items, which make Will saves based on their own Wisdom scores.

The Caster Level for items is notoriously low.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Nanashi

• View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 08, 2019, 03:07:11 AM »
Neat. What's a mundane item's saving throw bonus? "even against attacks from which a nonmagical item would normally get no chance to save." implies there is one.

More amusing than useful, but Magic of Eberron has Impact Armor, which is armor that gives DR (3/piercing max, so not too exciting) in exchange for lowering your speed when you're hit. Complete Warrior has an enchantment called Anti-Impact which halves bludgeoning damage that effects most of the body (constriction and falling are the given examples). It's not particularly practical, though not especially impractical, to have Anti-Impact Impact Armor.

One that is useful right under it though is this
Quote from: Armor of the Unending Hunt
This mithral +2 chainmail armor was built by the elves for rangers on long-range patrols. In addition to its protective qualities, it provides the wearer with immunity to fatigue and exhaustion. Moderate Abjuration; CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, restoration; Price 21,500 gp; Cost 10,900 gp + 848 XP; Weight 20 lb
Not easy to get immunity to both. You don't need to sleep unless you're a non-cleric caster, plus the obvious uses for Barbarians. I'm sure in Eberron this item is instead meant for meatbags keeping up with Warforged since "Elf Rangers on patrol" isn't really an Eberron thing.

edit:
Tome of Ancient Lore from Complete Divine has a 90% chance each day to hold any arcane spell. It's a relic so you have to take True Believer (or be a theurge to use it). Even if you can't copy spells from it (though RAW only the location changes so you can still work to understand it one day then copy it the next), using a normal spellbook for your staples and this to have a good chance of getting any situational spell you want is solid. This is especially so if you leave slots open and prepare them as you meet problems since preparing spells from it takes half the time.

the tome of ancient lore (and copies made since the original left Boccob’s library) is cursed with a deliberately confusing, everchanging system of cross-referencing. The pages within the tome rearrange themselves, apparently at random. Finding anything useful by browsing is impossible,
So it's basically Fantasy Craft

Complete Scoundrel has the spell Blockade, a level 1 spell that creates a giant thing of wood.
You call a cube of solid wood, 5 feet on a side, into being . The cube must be created upon solid ground in an empty square . If no solid surface exists that is large enough for the cube to fit on, or if no adjacent square is empty, the spell fails . The cube weighs 2,000 pounds . It has a hardness of 5 and 600 hit points, and it completely fills one 5-foot square . Multiple cubes can be stacked . If it is pushed into water, the cube floats . Material Component: A block of wood, less than 3 inches on a side.

Plenty of uses for a first level spell (Off the top of my head, it can block a door/narrow passage, prevent a target from reaching you with a charge, create cover, break weak floors, or jam room trying to crush you) and it will stay relevant for a long time. The 3 rounds minimum and maximum limits the creative uses, but the real nice thing is this takes only a swift action to use. This is a spell that would still be pretty decent if it was a standard action.

By contrast, it's impossible to cast the spell directly below it normally. Catapult requires the object effected be in your hands (plural) when you cast it but has an S in its component list. Any reasonable GM will pretend it said hand though the spell isn't that great even then it's not a great spell. First level would be reasonable (Pathfinder has this as a cantrip with worse range), but second level is a flat nope.

Evacuation Rune is a 5th level spell that lets you put an Arcane Mark on something and Greater Teleport to it as a swift action within the next 24 hours. It explicitly works if the object is moved. The obvious and intended use is as escape button functionality (for yourself only...), the easiest way to make use of this I can think of to abuse it is Planar Binding something with at will teleport for itself and 50 pounds of gear. That or making a hired Greater Teleport a little cheaper.

Magic item wise...
The aspect mirror is amazing! 4000 GP to communicate with any mirror in the set. Less than half the price of a Speaking Stone, much faster and better range. House Sivas? Who needs 'em?

Bladeshimmer makes item it is slathered on invisible, seemingly indefinitely (or at least till the oil is washed off). There has to be a way to abuse this.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 10:28:54 PM by Nanashi »

Offline magic9mushroom

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 23, 2019, 08:44:03 AM »
You don't need to worry about nuking the holder's saving throws, because the ability specifically targets the item

Quote from: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm
Damaging Magic Items

A magic item doesn’t need to make a saving throw unless it is unattended, it is specifically targeted by the effect, or its wielder rolls a natural 1 on his save. Magic items should always get a saving throw against spells that might deal damage to them— even against attacks from which a nonmagical item would normally get no chance to save. Magic items use the same saving throw bonus for all saves, no matter what the type (Fortitude, Reflex, or Will). A magic item’s saving throw bonus equals 2 + one-half its caster level (round down). The only exceptions to this are intelligent magic items, which make Will saves based on their own Wisdom scores.

The Caster Level for items is notoriously low.

While magic items' saves are hilariously bad and nonmagical items' nonexistent, they can use the holder's.

Quote from: Player's Handbook p166-167
Saving Throws: Nonmagical, unattended items never make saving throws. They are considered to have failed their saving throws, so they are always affected by (for instance) a disintegrate spell. An item attended by a character (being grasped, touched, or worn) makes saving throws as the character (that is, using the character's saving throw bonus). Magic items always get saving throws. A magic item's Fortitude, Reflex, and Will saving throw bonuses are equal to 2 + one-half its caster level. An attended magic item either makes saving throws as its owner or uses its own saving throw bonus, whichever is better. (Caster levels of magic items are covered in the Dungeon Master's Guide.)

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 23, 2019, 04:09:12 PM »
Tome of Ancient Lore from Complete Divine has a 90% chance each day to hold any arcane spell. It's a relic so you have to take True Believer (or be a theurge to use it). Even if you can't copy spells from it (though RAW only the location changes so you can still work to understand it one day then copy it the next), using a normal spellbook for your staples and this to have a good chance of getting any situational spell you want is solid. This is especially so if you leave slots open and prepare them as you meet problems since preparing spells from it takes half the time.

the tome of ancient lore (and copies made since the original left Boccob’s library) is cursed with a deliberately confusing, everchanging system of cross-referencing. The pages within the tome rearrange themselves, apparently at random. Finding anything useful by browsing is impossible,

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.
Right up there with Apprentice(Spellcaster) and Warlock 12.

Offline Nanashi

• View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 26, 2019, 06:44:47 PM »
Clockwork Wonders was one of the more obscure series of web articles from WotC's website. I found two interesting things here

Xen'drik Flying Boat is a dhow (not explicitly noted, but they're stated in Stormwrack) that can move as though it has Overland Flight if it gets a second level infusion. While this requires a team of Artificers capable of second level infusions (level 3+) to keep it afloat, it moves almost the speed of a true airship (18.18181818181818 MPH), is slightly cheaper, carries as much cargo (double if it moves at half speed), plus, most importantly by far, doesn't require elemental binding and "Level 3+ Artificer" is exponentially more common than "Someone with the Lesser Mark of the Storms". The Gnomes and Lyrandar are going to want to silence whoever made this thing. edit: Level 3 plus Artificers are in 1/3 thorps in Aundair

Universal Key is a nanite swarm that disassembles objects and is quite cheap for what it can do. For a GM, since this will disassemble and remove items, it provides the fun of a rust monster, but without the wealth by level headaches (since they'll just be dropped at the character's feet).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 08:50:56 PM by Nanashi »

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 28, 2019, 05:07:50 PM »

Demographics in Eberron

Demographics in Eberron, eh?
I like it.
Small but noticeable changes from the DMG.
Down 1% of Commoners, transferred to 1% Magewrights.
Cities go +2 , +4 , +6 , +8 , instead of +3 , +6 , +9 , +12 (and presumably no "Planar Metropolis" boost either).
The classes list is a little confusing.
It squeezes the NPC classes in with the PC classes.
Many of the classes have a "footnote" number tagged on,
instead of a proper superscript # indicating which footnote.
Rather confusing.
No super boosted 5% Druid or Ranger in Thorps.
d8 + 8 metropolis results are capped at level 15 (not the indicated 16).
But yeah, somewhere there's a single Artificer crafting out 9s.

There's slightly more magic available at the low end,
slightly less at the high end.

Offline Nanashi

• View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 28, 2019, 11:46:28 PM »
There's slightly more magic available at the low end,
slightly less at the high end.

That's Eberron in a nutshell. "Not high magic, wide magic." is used by the creator regularlly and appears in the 5E book.

As for the formatting, I suspect it's something that was eaten in the move to archive.wizards.

Offline Arz

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • New season
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 01, 2019, 01:41:40 PM »
For the NPC farm team = Trophy Collector.

As long as they aid another during the fight they collect CR*100gp. Which is more than hireling pay :violin