Author Topic: magical locations  (Read 2318 times)

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
magical locations
« on: March 22, 2015, 12:27:56 AM »
I'm looking for something that can be sort of a "home forest" for a future druid in a campaign of mine.  Basically, I know about magical locations, but those are about visiting and taking a bonus with you.  I'm looking for something that gives a specific character a bonus when in a specific area.  Sort of like a sanctuary.  Any ideas/books to start in?
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: magical locations
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 11:21:25 AM »
Well any Touchstone site counts since you can auto-recharge their high power trait.

There are a few "power" locations, they are typically found in Adventures. Like there is a forge buried in a castle buried in an Adventure book that gives -5% XP costs to crafting to some such. Only thing I can suggest on that front is start digging in the modules.

Another thing to consider is Node Magic, and even Portals and Dead Magic zones out of FR depending on your tastes. Then of course you have the build-your-owns, the Rashimen stuff, Sanctuary Spell, Forbiddence, the entire point of Permanency, etc. And circumstantial stuff like Frozen Magic that'd obviously benefit having a "home" terrain to play in.

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 03:15:25 PM »
Manifest zones from Eberron sound kind of like what you want.  Which basically provide a planar trait to a localized area.

Wondrous Architecture from Stronghold Builder's Guidebook can also accomplish the task of making an area magical.

Then there are Mythals, detailed in Lost Empires of Faerun, I believe.

But since its a location and doesn't travel there's no reason for you to not just put whatever interesting effects you want there.  Want all the strawberries bordering a glade at the heard of the forest to be goodberries?  They are.   Want a Forbiddence effect to hedge out abberations?   It does.  As long as whatever you want to put there interacts with the rest of the rules in a way that feels fair, it really doesn't matter what you do as long as its fun.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 08:27:11 PM »
But since its a location and doesn't travel there's no reason for you to not just put whatever interesting effects you want there.  Want all the strawberries bordering a glade at the heard of the forest to be goodberries?  They are.   Want a Forbiddence effect to hedge out abberations?   It does.  As long as whatever you want to put there interacts with the rest of the rules in a way that feels fair, it really doesn't matter what you do as long as its fun.

I know, I just wanted to know if there were any existing rules.  I think I'm going to give her a boost to Wis inside her forest, and an increased DR in areas of lush plantlife.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline Maelphaxerazz

• Respect: over 9000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 09:03:57 PM »
You could base it on Stronghold Builder's Guidebook, with the wondrous architecture and bonus-granting stronghold spaces. A home forest is basically a stronghold made of living wood, which is an option available in SBG.