Author Topic: 3.P Dispel Master  (Read 2919 times)

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
3.P Dispel Master
« on: February 06, 2015, 02:19:33 PM »
There's an idea I've been rolling around in my head, but I'm not very familiar with Pathfinder, so I'd like some input.  This isn't for any particular campaign, but let's assume Pathfinder rules with un-updated 3.5 material allowed.  Also 3.0 material if it wasn't updated by either 3.5 or Pathfinder.  Further, let's assume both 1st- and 2nd-party material is allowed. 

The first ingredient I'd like to use is samsaran with the mystic past life alternative racial trait.  Choosing trapsmith as the class to draw from would let me get dispel magic as a 1st-level spell and greater dispel magic as a 3rd-level spell on whatever arcane spellcasting class I like. 

The second ingredient I'd like to use is divine defiance (Fiendish Codex II, p83).  That feat would let me spend a turn undead attempt to counterspell as an immediate action.  I'd still need to use an appropriate spell (or dispel magic) to counterspell. 

The first thing I need help with is combining arcane casting and turn undead.  In 3.5, I know sacred exorcist (Complete Divine, p56) works, but I'm hoping Pathfinder has an easier option. 

In 3.5 I know of a few ways to boost dispel checks.  The arcane mastery feat (Complete Arcane, p73) would let me take 10 on the check (even in combat, once the errata is figured in).  The inquisition domain (Spell Compendium, p275) gives a +4 bonus, or a +8 bonus if combined with the domain focus alternative class feature (Dragon 347, p91) for cleric.  The latter option tends to conflict with the arcane casting requirement of the samsaran trick, but the domain granted power alternative class feature (Complete Champion, p52) for wizard or the planar touchstone feat (Planar Handbook, p41) can at least nab the base effect.  I seem to remember that a prestige class or two in 3.5 gave bonuses to dispel, but I can't remember which ones.  I'm sure Pathfinder added some dispel bonuses of its own.  I see it removed the cap on caster level that can be added to dispel checks, which is nice. 

I'd really like to be able to cast dispel magic and greater dispel magic spontaneously.  I don't have any attachment to spontaneous casting otherwise, so a prepared class is fine if there's an easy way to spontaneously convert prepared spells into those two. 

I know 3.5 had a couple of ways to be able to use immediate actions before your first turn in combat.  There were dire tortoise (Sandstorm, p151) and mark of stars (Dragonmarked, p142).  Did Pathfinder add any?  I suppose high initiative is also an option. 

Do you think I need to worry too much about turn undead attempts per day?  Nightsticks (Libris Mortis, p78) and Tenebrous (Tome of Magic, p48) are options.  I don't know if there's anything Pathfinder-specific that gives a lot of turn attempts. 

So there's my goal, be able to use an immediate action, a 1st-level spell slot, and a turn undead attempt to negate a 9th-level spell an enemy tries to cast as a standard action.  Can anyone help me realize my dream? 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 02:21:36 PM by Maat Mons »

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Re: 3.P Dispel Master
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 03:27:05 PM »
Some recent stuff:

Ring of Spell-Battle came up a few times
If an Artificer can by-pass the 1/day bit ...

wotmaniac has a short thread on T.O.
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=13937.0
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 04:30:31 PM »
i thinks not exactly the best choice for what your going for but..

Suel ?
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline Thurbane

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 3.5 fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 06:15:30 PM »
A spontaneous arcane caster can get Turn Undead with the Necromantic Bloodline + Kin Mastery (Dragon Compendium), although it will only get you one use.

I know you're not keen on a spontaneous caster, but Beguiler gets Dispel Magic and Greater Dispel Magic...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 06:17:49 PM by Thurbane »

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 05:54:25 PM »
I hadn't considered heighten, but the divine metamagic approach seems pretty hard on the turn undead uses.  I suppose I could use the disturbing spell feat (Dragon 332, p44) instead, if a DM would allow it to function when the ability damage is negated.  I could use improved bind vestige (Tome of Magic, p73) to bind Dahlver-Nar (Tome of Magic, p28) and avoid the wisdom damage.  Unfortunately, that still only leaves me able to heighten spells up to the maximum spell level I can cast (+1 with earth spell). 

Divine countermagic also seems pretty hard on the turn undead uses. 

It has come to my attention that Pathfinder replaced turn/rebuke undead with channel energy.  I suppose updating divine defiance for Pathfinder means changing it to use a channel energy attempt? 

Offline Azrael

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm *not new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 04:33:14 AM »
Was going to suggest divine countermagic as that is typically what I use in these type of builds but you already thought of it and its not that great unless you buy a ton of nightsticks.

The good news is it becomes a complete 3.5 build if you do decide to go that route since there would be no need for the samsaran.