Author Topic: Arkham Horror: Friendship Costs 2 Sanity  (Read 142348 times)

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
Re: Arkham Horror: Friendship Costs 2 Sanity
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2013, 04:02:54 PM »
She lives in town, somewhere near the park. But her house requires flight to access and not much happens there anyway;

As for the others, they all live where they work:

Twilight Sparkle - Golden Oaks Library
Pinkie Pie - Sugarcube Corner
Rarity - Carousel Boutique
Fluttershy - Fluttershy's home
Applejack - Apple Family home

So, what do you need to know next?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 04:18:39 PM by Braininthejar »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2013, 06:01:32 PM »
Whats everyones schtick?  What do they do?  Basically something I can make investigator abilities from.

Offline radmelon

• Ashbless ftw!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2013, 07:34:30 PM »
Twilight sparkle: Smart, loves learning, absurdly powerful mage.
Rarity: Is a fashion designer, very conscious of her appearance, also has some martial-arts knowledge IIRC.
Fluttershy: Very good with animals, poor flyer, cripplingly shy but is berzerk when her friends are threatened.
Rainbow Dash: Expert flyer, absurdly fast, not bad in a fight.
Applejack: Apple farmer, extremely strong and tough, hard to decieve.
Pinkie Pie: Loony Toons physics, partial awareness of fourth wall, party cannon.

Think that's everything.

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2013, 08:15:36 PM »
Twilight Sparkle: Unicorn. A powerful wizard, (personal student of the princess), currently a librarian. Very organised, and a quick researcher, but ocassionally obsessive-compulsive and  irrational when stressed, especially when things refuse to make sense (to the point that some of her custom Arkham cards on the net have her start with hysteria). Her element of harmony is Magic

Abilities: something related to magic, tomes and/or clue tokens.

Applejack: Earth pony. An apple farmer and a local rodeo champion, with lots and lots of relatives in the apple farming business.  Physically strong and very stubborn. Also has rodeo-related skills (can do rope tricks and is useful against any creatures that can be herded) Her element of harmony is Honesty

Abilities: i suppose she would have the best sum of sanity/stamina. don't know about the skills.

Rarity: Unicorn. A fashion designer. a drama queen that hates dirt, but will go through a lot for her friends (this is both her strength and her weakness, as she is prone to overworking herself when she knows others depend on her. Good with high class ponies and anything fashion-related. Also physically stronger than she seems. Despite her element being Generosity, she has her episodes of greed, like physically tackling the competition when trying to catch the bouquet dueing a wedding.

Abilities: Dunno. Her magic is limited to finding gems, crafting clothes - it does make her very good at telekinetic multitasking though.

Rainbow Dash: head of the local weather team, dreaming of becoming a stunt flier. A horrible show-off. very fast, very tough (regularly crashes and rarely suffers any lasting effects) prone to acting without thinking. prone to worrying herself sick when nopony's looking. Her element of harmony is Loyalty.

Abilities: she would probably be our typical high stamina/low sanity fighter. very fast too (the "sonic rainboom" you got listed under spells is her breaking the sound barrier in flight)

Fluttershy: Pegasus and an amatour vet. As I mentioned, she is similar to your redneck druid prc. She has abysmal social skills, but mad levels of wild empathy and mad levels of intimidate (konwn as "the stare") when she is sufficiently motivated. Cripplingly shy and easily scared otherwise. Used to be a fashion model (largely against her will). Her element of harmony is Kindness.

Abilities: depending on how we represent the creatures, she might have some abilities against some. tougher than she looks, especially mentally. Perhaps some medical skills?

Pinkie Pie: an overactive pastry chef and amatour comedian/party organiser. weird and cartoonish. Gifted with a "pinkie sense" - seemingly random twitches that warn her about things, especially falling objects. Capable of pulling various weird stunts, pulling items out of nowhere, etc. Her element of harmony is Laughter. Also, she gets quite creepy when depressed - making others laugh means a ot to her : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHy3ZhY9VKs

Abilities: something related to equipment, clue tokens or horror checks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxqqD0MZKAM

I have some contamination here from seeing it homebrew already. There is a limt of how much I can suggest without making you repeat what has already been done.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:36:29 PM by Braininthejar »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2013, 12:46:49 AM »
Suggestions on twilights stats, i.e. which of each pair would be higher?

I'm making her now.

WOuld you prefer she start with telekinesis or teleport?

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2013, 07:08:13 AM »
I'm not sure about speed/sneak, but definitely will over fight and lore over luck. She is the team's go to person when it comes to lore.

What do you mean by "starting with" teleport or telekinesis?

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2013, 12:36:01 PM »
Strange EOns lets her start with one specific as opposed to random spell.  WHich of the two does she use more often?

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2013, 07:13:56 PM »
Well, since she doesn't have hands, she uses telekinesis pretty much constantly. But if you want telekinesis as a spell card, you probably mean something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsVG-yBRxkY

In that case, teleportation would be the more common.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2013, 12:06:44 AM »
sanity and stam about even?

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2013, 05:03:57 AM »
I'd say so. She is very good at driving herself crazy, but not all that suseptible to outside sources.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2013, 11:43:56 PM »
rough draft

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2013, 08:29:10 AM »
Heh, I found it yesterday during a random search. I think I like it. ( I love how you purposefully chose the cutest picture you could find, for a horror game)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 08:49:33 AM by Braininthejar »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2013, 03:09:59 PM »
Well if no one objects we'll move on to rarity then.

Suggestions on her stats?

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2013, 04:35:56 PM »
Hm... I was wrong the first time - I found a Twilight Sparkle with the same skills but a different picture.

As for Rarity...

I'd say more or less balanced stats, with fight over will (there is a lot of things that scares or disgusts her, but once she gets going, she can kick a manticore in the snout)

I was also thinking of introducing outfits as a new category of items - if that happens, Rarity would have some skills applying to them (apart from starting with one)

Possibilities include: disguise:
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRehwqo-pn9yBD0gFeL4M3fx15dwGJ-t8aT_4qMdVsSCMKCik4J
http://th05.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/045/b/d/pinkie_in_a_pile_of_hay_by_bednarowski-d4plqm0.png
fancy dress:
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120423060245/mlp/images/6/68/Photo_of_Rarity_and_Fancypants_S02E26.PNG
camouflage:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120204231658/mlp/images/6/6e/Rainbow_Dash_ninja_S2E16.png
armour:
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSWXiwdiSX462W6PX5YIsE2p9wu2ipLdeBsQo4VH7vh1RAWdp9Hw
sports suit:
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR86s8xvJkkYLFbLY0Sjoi_sV_zcP64_ES_rIZabzIyGRO1HBQi9A
or even hazmat suits
http://denver.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/rsz/mlfw1132_large.jpg

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2013, 02:08:02 AM »
I can make that her personal story card ability.  Currently i have her focused on generosity (i.e. money) and martial arts.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 05:18:50 PM by bhu »

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2013, 07:42:42 AM »
She is usually referred to as "the fashionista"

missing space in the first skill

shouldn't it be a "ponyville encounter"?

ability levels might need some adjusting, but we won't know till we have seen the others.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2013, 03:53:27 PM »
Arkham Encounter is a game phase not an actual reference to the board but i get what you mean.

Will fix today, in meantime suggestions for stats on rainbow dash

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2013, 05:05:43 PM »
fight over will, spead over sneak, not much lore or luck.

She does some sneaking in the series and isn't bad at it, but generaly does better relying on speed. I see other designers emphasize her flight ability (either by special movement rules, or abilities to engage flying monsters) or tendency to attack scary things without thinking.

Probably some limitations to equipment as a tradeoff, not crippling though. She would be one of the 3 physical types in the group ( along with Rarity and AJ)

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2013, 05:16:07 PM »

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2013, 07:41:24 PM »
Looks good so far. It seems you are doing some research of your own apart from asking me - you sometimes hit the nuances I've missed.

Is it ok for a character to start at an unstable location?

Also, who's next?

EDIT: Just remembered. Money in Equestria is referred to as "bits"
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 07:43:27 PM by Braininthejar »