Author Topic: [3.5]Node and research  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Waldham

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
[3.5]Node and research
« on: September 22, 2020, 04:31:26 PM »
Hello, I have a question about the node and possession.

An earth node was a geological anomaly usually beneath the surface of Faerûn.

An earth node was a collection or stream of magic that existed mostly in the Underdark. As a general rule, the bigger the affected area of a node was, the stronger was the magic that could be harnessed from it. About half of them were very weak areas whose strength was more less the same within the area, but the other half was made like an onion. They had layers of magical power that was stronger as more one went to the origin of the node and as closer one went there, as more magical power could be harnessed. There was no rhyme or reason to where they sprung up. It was entirely possible for an earth node to exist within solid rock for example.

Those creatures in tune with arcane magic could sometimes sense the presence of a node. The power field of nodes varied from approximately 30 feet (9 meters) to 1/2 mile (0.8 km.)

These power fields were invisible, but the area these fields existed in were often beautiful and/or bizarre sights. For example, giant geodes or a strangely regularly shaped cavern were forms such an area could take

Is it possible to possess a node ?

Possess Noncontinuous Object (Su): At 5th level, a fiend of possession can use its possess object ability to take control of an "object" more loosely defined: a pool of water, a cloud of dust, or a section of wall or floor. At this level, a fiend of possession can also possess (and animate) Colossal objects.

Is it possible to move a node for an other location ?

Thanks for your future help.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5]Node and research
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 10:06:18 PM »
You'd have to ask your DM for his final ruling, but I'd say the node would be too large for the ability as described.

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Temporal Dissonance Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 11:11:38 AM »
On the second question, a sufficiently high caster level can move -anything- >.>

Let me know specifically what you're wanting to do with nodes, as it's one of my favorite (ab)uses for high CL/ML :)

Offline Waldham

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 03:45:15 PM »
It is just to move the node for an other place to use the abilities from node.

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Temporal Dissonance Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 11:33:56 AM »
It is just to move the node for an other place to use the abilities from node.

You can use Estate Transference to move the whole thing to a demiplane - that's my usual go-to, and then build the plane up around it, as once you have it' you'll want to expand it.

If you'd rather not move any of them, there is a spell (and power) called Node Genesis, that lets you spawn your own, and then grow it with the same spell cast on the existing one.  If time isn't an issue, you can conceivably spend 1000 years growing a node the size of Jupiter, and enjoy an absolutely absurd CL/ML boost with an equally absurd number of free metamagic levels (or free PP for augmenting) and spells/powers known/available (in the case of Vancian casting).

Offline Eldritch_Lord

• Master of Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 08:01:06 PM »
You can use Estate Transference to move the whole thing to a demiplane - that's my usual go-to, and then build the plane up around it, as once you have it' you'll want to expand it.

Is there an official 3e conversion of estate transference somewhere?  The only equivalent thing I'm aware of is the Planeshifter's planar area swap feature, and that's a temporary effect.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 05:26:28 PM »
I found a site that has that spell, but not a sourcebook (not yet anyway), source please?