Author Topic: Depths of Arhosa  (Read 34791 times)

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Depths of Arhosa
« Reply #220 on: June 08, 2020, 06:17:03 PM »
The drover steps off the cart and prepares to guard the backs of the front defenders, readying an attack for any that enter his reach.

(click to show/hide)
Hmm.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 08, 2020, 07:28:56 PM »
Seeing Branwen go full defensive, Tarvon does the same.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 09, 2020, 08:15:41 AM »
The Tandda, enraged by the devastation rained down upon them, react swiftly and with coordination, covering yet more of the tunnel in the inky murk, out of which stabs longspears in vicious profusion, some skimming wide, others finding their marks.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 05, 2020, 12:04:15 PM »
The professor moves hearing the cries of his party members, leaving Lifter to hold the gap to the north. He reaches the edge of the cloud and fires blindly into it, hitting a pair of Tannda.

Hmm.

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 06, 2020, 12:39:52 PM »
Bleckerich takes a steps onto the wagon and gestures towards Tarvon and Branwen, speaking old Tokunnir.

(click to show/hide)

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: July 23, 2020, 09:10:56 AM »
The drover stands firm.

(click to show/hide)
Hmm.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 23, 2020, 07:47:44 AM »
Unable to see into the Murk, Lifter stands firm, waiting for his opponents to come to him.

(click to show/hide)
Hmm.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 26, 2020, 11:00:54 AM »
Tarvon continues his mission of not dying.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 01, 2020, 11:13:49 AM »
A soul scent wafted down the tunnel, so powerful that it overwhelmed even the stench of oil and blood that had engulfed the combatants from the beginning of the fight. Nauseating enough to make even hardened warriors gag, it drove paroxysms of coughing from all but Lifter, whose mechanical construction inured him to airborne threats.

When the coughing had subsided, the inky murk that had settled over the battlefield was gone, and with it gone, all that could be seen of the raging fight was the scorch marks of magic and the bloodstains of the departed. No weapons remained, no corpses, with those of the fallen drovers and Branwen have been removed along with those of their assailants. Also gone into the murk was all the goods that had once been secured in the third of the wagons, it having been pilfered under the cover of the greasy fog.

Taking stock of what was left, two of the wagons, those they had defended most vigorously, were miraculously untouched, and for now, the path onwards was open, although given the nature of the traps employed by these creatures, the dangers likely were in no way gone.

There was also the question as to why they had suddenly departed, and what that scent had signified, but such things could only be answered by following the creatures into the open tunnels that gaped wide in the walls. They would have to lead to some concentration of these creatures, and perhaps a great deal of information about who they are and why they acted.

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 02, 2020, 04:46:11 PM »
"Zeter ach, that was close, too close for comfort. I already felt Drancedigaeth breathing down my neck.

Should we follow them, or should we cut our losses and carry on our planned route with what we could save from their dirty paws?"

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 03, 2020, 08:09:45 PM »
"Follow them?  FOLLOW THEM?!?" Tarvon exclaims.  "I almost died!  As far as I can tell, the only one of our group with any healing powers is dead and gone, taken by those things!"

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 05, 2020, 06:17:21 AM »
The drover, looking at the missing bodies of his fellows, backs Tarvon entirely, and makes very clear he'd like to be away from the carnage.

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 07, 2020, 06:08:37 PM »
"I think it's settled then. On to our original destination, the outpost - and a good night's sleep. Those abysmal critters have taken my inner reserves to the breaking point."

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 22, 2020, 03:33:04 PM »
They rode into the light, and world was different.

No longer were they in a confined space of greys and browns, lit only by the torches they carried with them. Suddenly a great glowing orb set far above and far away shone down upon them, bathing them in a never-ending spectacle of light. And what it revealed was green and blue as far as the eye could see, a sweeping panorama of gently waving foliage that touched the horizon and then stepped beyond. Such lushness, such vivacity, was in no way comparable to the thin farms and herds that existed down in the depths, and dwarfed the underground realm’s production to such an extent that the vastness of the surface world was too great to be truly comprehended.

For those who had never seen the outside world before, the sight was overwhelming, a vast expanse that gave them an almost instant case of agoraphobia. How could people live with the world so open, where things could be seen as a distance of miles and not yards, and where this dreadful glowing orb battered them all day long?

Such illusions as to the beauty of the surface world were soon shattered. “Oh look, it’s another set of gawkers from underground. You’d think those idiots down in Doguldhwr would learn to send people who’d been to the surface before, but nope, I’ve always got to deal with a set of first-timers.” The voice belonged to a particularly weather-beaten old Tokunnir, one who seemed intent on talking at length and loudly, regardless of company. “There’s no way this lot has the first notion about negotiating, so it’s going to fall to me to do the job again. Least I’m good at it. And what’s this? They’re missing some wagons. After being late! I’m going to have a devil of a time fulfilling my contracts, and the folks I deal with don’t like to be disappointed. One of them is going to take it out on me, that’s for sure. Especially if any of the stonecraft items are missing. Can’t believe the shoddy work of these guards, losing a caravan on the way. What were they thinking?”

The Tokunnir stopped long enough for the others to get a good look at him. Like most of his ilk, he was short but broad, flesh that was once muscular having run to seed in his case. The flask on his hip might have had something to do with it, as might have the fact that one arm ended in a cunningly designed mechanical glove, that, on closer inspection, was actually a replacement for a missing hand. This was an old warrior, put away to rust by his people.

“Oi, you lot. Going to stand there all day or start unloading the wagons? I’m not carrying everything inside, not on my lonesome. Take the goods into that warehouse and get a move on. We’ve kept ours buyers waiting long enough.”

The warehouse in question was a low stone building, strangely devoid of the marks of Tokunnir craftsmanship, and instead looking particularly lumpy by comparison to the architecture of Doguldhwr. It was one of three visible from the open square into which they had arrived, the open expanse closed on the fourth side by what was clearly a guest and ale house designed for the comfort and repose of those who had business at this outpost. Like the first warehouse, the other two showed little sign of the skill of Tokunnir stonecraft. The guest house, for its part, was a structure of an entirely different make, being hewn of blocks of stone so finely fitted that the gaps between them were invisible to all but the trained eye, and the smells that emanated from within were of proper Tokunnir cooking, hearty and thick.

The Tokunnir saw the eyes of the arrivals travel in that direction and shook his head. “You’ll get in there once the wagons are unloaded. Now hop to it!”

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 23, 2020, 12:34:11 PM »
Bleckerich looks with some awe at the alien, sprawling overworld, shielding his eyes with his hand from the rays of that cruel fireball high above. He turns to the aged vet as he speaks to the group.

"We've been lucky that we could save even that little. We got ambushed and lost several good men, and we last few survivors had also almost bought it defending the last wagon."

The young Tokunnir leaves most of the heavy lifting to the bigger and stronger Lifter, but does his part in helping to unload.

"Suddenly I have a strong thirst for ale. Anyone else feeling it?"

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 24, 2020, 12:14:37 AM »
Tarvon is free from the tunnels full of more danger than he ever imagined, and he is happy.

There is a bounce to his step that his companions have never seen before, and he completely ignores the grumpy Tokunnir because they're all grumpy anyway. He also doesn't help with the unloading, that's not why he is here.

He's so happy that he doesn't even make any sarcastic comments.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 02, 2020, 03:13:25 PM »
The innkeeper was a cheerful Tokunnir, one who had clearly sworn off any form of travel, and had instead devoted themselves to the consumption of fine food and alcohol. Currently, the publican was likely three sheets to the wind and had the red nose to show for it, but still managed to navigate between the tables to thunk down tankards and plates full of food in front of the new arrivals. The bill that arrived to go with the food was just as hearty as the meal was, much to their chagrin.

The other residents of the inn, those that seemed to be merchants at least, were giving the new arrivals dirty looks, and from what the grumpy old Tokunnir outside had been saying, those looks were likely because they'd been waiting here a long time for their goods, and had already found out less or none at all were arriving in trade. Having wasted their time, they were likely off on the morrow, and with a bitter word for the trading caravans of Doguldhwr.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 02, 2020, 05:38:23 PM »
The first person to approach them after the innkeeper was--perhaps surprisingly, given their recent luck--another Flonha, comparatively tall and even lanker for one of their kind. The coin she was flipping did a little to draw attention to the multitude of scars, but even that was perhaps less obvious than the burns on her face, despite the hair covering the worst of it. As she stepped close, however, the familiar glow of eerie purity became much more apparent. Which was odd with an expression that was less "serene" and more "bored and irritated".

"So, someone finally got through. What kept you?"

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 05, 2020, 05:30:34 PM »
Bleckerich looks wild-eyed.

"What kept us!? Well, I could start with gaping holes where bridges should have been. And that is before I get to the flesh-eating moles spraying the air with ink clouds and swarming us with very long, very pointy sticks. A lot of good men died to save what little we could haul up to the surface."

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 05, 2020, 05:56:24 PM »
Tarvon nods, obviously worked up himself.  "Don't forget the armies of living-but-dead that are infesting the underground.  If I don't go back down there for another hundred years that would still not be long enough."