Author Topic: Chapter 1: A New Beginning  (Read 128655 times)

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 1: A New Beginning
« Reply #120 on: September 06, 2016, 06:43:39 PM »
In that case you just need to wait for the rain to stop so you can build the fire and make the circle.  Are you doing anything but drilling them on the necessaries in the meantime?

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 06, 2016, 08:03:16 PM »
Drilling them on the important stuff, and probably taking a shift watching the family. If the rain holds up, taking a nap.
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 07, 2016, 06:55:30 PM »
The rain holds through the night into morning.

At which point an exhausted, terrified young man bursts in gasping for air.  Once you get a shot of rum in him, and he catches his breath he informs you of another murder in the night.  A local apartment was apparently broken into, and several people murdered and partially eaten, with none of their neighbors being the wiser.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 07, 2016, 08:44:42 PM »
Elizabeth wipes the sleep out of her eyes and heads over with at least one other person to take a look.

"We may need to get the townsfolk consolidated in bigger groups until we can catch the culprits, but we don't want to start a panic."

She examines the area, both looking for cause of death, and any clues as to how many people there were, what they might have been (if not people), and where they went or came from.

She takes 20 on search, for a total of 36.
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2016, 01:29:16 AM »
Sol, what are you doing?

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2016, 11:47:04 PM »
When it came to Elizabeth, and frankly when it came to Barnes as well, Lionel mostly humored them and their strange beliefs.  But lately the unexplained was right in his face.  The obvious was Eliabeth's strange rat trick, but other things have been weighing on him as well.  He had taken out a notepad and was scribbling things within, muttering something darkly to himself.  So here he was, getting involved with this binding ritual. 

"They don't believe he's human, eh?  That's bad for him.  We execute humans, other things don't get due process." he cursed, muttering something about how Barnes has been too kind to this one.

His mistrust wasn't entirely unfounded.  The next morning, and there were more deaths in this town.  He didn't know how he was doing it, but he was certain that the prisoner was somehow involved.  If he were to believe that magic was a thing, then it opened up the possibility that that man was somehow able to kill outside of his bindings.  It just opened up too many questions, and he admitted this time he couldn't find the answers.

He went to go see Elizabeth.  Fortunately looks like she was also at the murder scene.  Two birds with one stone.

"Liz.  I need to confide in you.  You believe in Barnes occult crap, right?  These murders... what are they?"
Mudada.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 15, 2016, 04:36:52 PM »
Tracks appear to be pretty similar to those you found at the farm, ditto with the wounds on the corpses.  This time however, the bodies have been partially eaten...

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 15, 2016, 09:02:04 PM »
"Liz.  I need to confide in you.  You believe in Barnes occult crap, right?  These murders... what are they?"
Bhu, checking what Elizabeth knows with Knowledge(TMWNMTK): 1d20+11
Rolled 1d20+11 : 12 + 11, total 23
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 15, 2016, 11:10:25 PM »
Some of the natives used to have stories of cannibal men that weren't men.  They would raid villages under the cover of darkness of really bad weather to hide their kidnappings and feasting.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 16, 2016, 08:34:07 AM »
"They look like people, but really aren't. They eat humans and attack under cover of darkness, like from sever storms. More attacks are likely, and we should probably get anyone in remote houses to a few central buildings here and get anyone able bodied on guard. I hate to start a panic, but we have two attacks already.

I don't know if they're vulnerable to conventional weapons, but we'll find out."

Elizabeth sets out to rally more guards and to get people to the center of town.
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 16, 2016, 04:40:45 PM »
You could also seek out the local natives but with the Paxton boys committing a massacre a decade or so back there's a lot of hard feelings.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 16, 2016, 06:37:38 PM »
How far out are they?
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 16, 2016, 11:53:58 PM »
The Conestoga are on the other side of the state, the Susquehannock are bitter and dangerous, the Iroquois are at war with the other Indian nations, and the Delaware, Shawnee and Seneca are fleeing into the state.  The Iroquois are widespread right now, and would be easy to find as they trade with white men for guns.  Prolly no more than a few days at most even if you dont know where they are.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 17, 2016, 07:09:26 AM »
Right now, the focus is on riding out this storm, and keeping the townsfolk safe. Elizabeth wants constables and conscripts to travel in twos to the more remote houses, to bring them more centralized buildings in town. Once the people aren't scattered in remote houses, she wants pairs of people to keep watch near the perimeter. We don't need our guards being the next victims.  ;)

Is there a bell or anything that is rung in times of emergencies?
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2016, 05:17:36 PM »
The town church has one yes

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 18, 2016, 10:05:32 PM »
Elizabeth will have someone ring the bell. As people gather, she'll give them instructions to get armed, stay in groups of at least two, and to work on getting anyone in remote hoses to central buildings.

She'll warn them about the recent attacks, although she will avoid mentioning "monsters". At this time, she'll say "They may be natives, but don't get trigger happy just because you see a native. Now's not the time for more bloodshed; we need to keep safe."
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 19, 2016, 12:18:51 AM »
People are rounded up pretty quickly, along with arms and ammo.  Everyone holes up in the church or nearby buildings,  Pretty much everyone is accounted for by evening, at which point a lone rider comes into town.  He looks somewhat confused as no one really comes out to meet him, and the place looks like a ghost town.  It obviously makes him nervous as he draws a pistol.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 20, 2016, 09:54:23 PM »
What time of day is it, is the storm gone, and how's the visibility?
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 21, 2016, 12:10:12 AM »
The sky is cloudy and its twilight, meaning once dark hits there'll be no visibility beyond torchlight.

"Hello?  Is anyone here?"

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 25, 2016, 06:41:36 AM »
"Yes! Who goes there? From where did you come?"
My creations