Author Topic: Any idea how to RP a mindbender dip as a Good Character?  (Read 3760 times)

Offline Masakan

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Any idea how to RP a mindbender dip as a Good Character?
« on: August 29, 2016, 03:30:12 AM »
^Title.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Re: Any idea how to RP a mindbender dip as a Good Character?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 04:19:03 AM »
A detective, investigator, inquisitor, or other such similar role in which you desire information through interrogation at the lack of willingness to torture physically because that's just too easy to turn evil with.

Although it'd also depend a lot on what the character's class already is and how you've already been RPing that character.

Offline Masakan

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 05:10:38 AM »
A detective, investigator, inquisitor, or other such similar role in which you desire information through interrogation at the lack of willingness to torture physically because that's just too easy to turn evil with.

Although it'd also depend a lot on what the character's class already is and how you've already been RPing that character.

Ok then answer this is it possible for a character to convincingly flipflop between alignments
Like go from chaotic good to chaotic neutral and then back to chaotic good?

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 05:25:46 AM »

Ok then answer this is it possible for a character to convincingly flipflop between alignments

Yes, though usually not very quickly.  Why?
Mudada.

Offline Masakan

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 05:57:44 AM »

Yes, though usually not very quickly.  Why?

Cause i was thinking that said character would be good then go through a phase where they would be indifferent about everything then....nah that would take way too much effort on the dm's part

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 07:20:12 AM »
It's called being neutral. And not the chaotic kind oddly enough. Maybe you could pull it off as true neutral where you're just playing on the opposite side of the scale as you need to balance out a situation.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 01:34:39 PM »
You're allowed to be an imperfectly aligned character. Mortals are falliable, after all.
"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down."

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 01:27:44 AM »
He's apparently really asking 'How do I convince my DM to let my Good character get telepathy in order to take the Mindsight feat?'

If so, my answer is: 'Ask the DM to waive the 'Non-good' requirement, as all you will ever take is the 1st level, which does nothing to remove another creature's free will.'

Good luck.
Apathy is ...ah screw it.
My Homebrew

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 06:16:07 PM »
He's apparently really asking 'How do I convince my DM to let my Good character get telepathy in order to take the Mindsight feat?'

If so, my answer is: 'Ask the DM to waive the 'Non-good' requirement, as all you will ever take is the 1st level, which does nothing to remove another creature's free will.'

Good luck.

I was able to talk my DM into letting me take up to 3rd level, iirc 4th level is the breakpoint for an explicitly required act of non-good.

the way our discussion worked out, a suggestion level nudge could still (theoretically) be used for good or evil... though it was something that could serve as a constant source of temptation for a good character - something the DM found to be a useful plot point and will be looking for me to rp. the permanent charm however is effectively forcing a change of mind upon someone, taking away their will, at least partly. so we felt that was the start of the irrevocably "non-good" portion of the prestige. considering my character is also a thrallherd, it will be interesting trying to keep it on the side of good.

Offline Nifft

• Bad At Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 07:58:36 PM »
Why are you trying to take the 2nd level?

The 2nd level is totes yuck.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 10:07:23 AM »
Why are you trying to take the 2nd level?

The 2nd level is totes yuck.

I'm not sure that I did take the 2nd or 3rd without checking the character sheet. We simply agreed that up to 3rd was doable as a good-aligned.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 01:55:09 PM »
The Shining ... not the Jack Nickolson character.
The other guy and the child ; and the original story
had more in the way of love between father+son.

There was an unrelated TV movie version with a
more true to the story script, much more good guy stuff.
Your codpiece is a mimic.