Author Topic: Act 1: STOLEN LAND  (Read 18428 times)

Offline Pencil

• Honorary Mod
  • - your advertisement could stand here -
    • View Profile
Act 1: STOLEN LAND
« on: August 20, 2012, 08:01:08 AM »
Act 1:Stolen Land

It has been around 2 days that you left Restov, the most southward city of whole Brevoy.It is strange.Normally all bigger roads in Brevoy itself are well traveled and you at least see another group of travelers a day.But this road is empty and not well worked.It seems that those are the small and first signs of leaving Brevoy and going into the Greenbelt.

Unwillingly you remember how you got the job.All of you were new in Restov but all heard that the Swordlords were looking for people from "outside" to do a job for them.And you lively remember your entrance in Restov.
Nowhere is the Rostlandic spirit more alive than in the Free City of Restov. The city owes its allegiance to the Brevic crown, and Lord Mayor Ioseph Sellemius must bend his knee before the Dragonscale Throne like any lord, but otherwise Restov
belongs to no house, making it a haven for the lost glories of the Aldori swordlords and those who look back to the old days before the coming of the Conqueror. Restov is a city of both refinement and rough-and-tumble manners, as only a colony can be in fondly recalling and imitating its motherland. The gentry of Restov consider themselves sophisticates, although a Taldan visitor would consider their ways quaint, and touched with no small amount of northern barbarism. The city is a bustling trade center along the border. Restov’s relative wealth supports no small number of idle and titled lordlings and merchants’ sons. They frequent the various Aldori and Taldan
dueling schools, as well as the alehouses, and fight each other in street corner challenges at dawn and dusk. The schools, salons, and taprooms of Restov are also hotbeds of rebellious talk against the reign of King Noleski Surtova, with young firebrands in search of a leader to rally them to the cause.

The city itself is one of the bigger cities in Brevoy.Most of the buildings are made from solid stone and even a big cathedral of Pelor is in the center of the town.
(click to show/hide)
To your luck, since Restov is a free city, you don`t get eyed suspiciously like you would in smaller cities.As you wandered around the city looking for something to get money for, you eventually stumbled upon some papers that were distributed in the city.They were catching your attention in a strange way though.Either they flew directly in you face (not metaphorical speaking) due to the wind or you heard some people talking about it in a loud fashion etc. .On the papers was written the following:

The free city of Restov is looking adventurers to do the mapping, exploring and to reclaim the land stolen from Brevoy by the nature and bandits for the crown.The pay will be good.You are looking for a fresh start?This is your opportunity.
Lord Mayor Ioseph Sellemius
This seemed to be just the job you were looking for.As you did some research you got the information that anyone interested should come by the town hall tomorrow by 12 Bells(every day got 24 Bells, duh).
As you arrived there no one else but 4 others were around.Everything with the mayor went surprisingly fast.He was a very nice old fellow.Probably never had to work hard in his life but still he was very like able.You were handed a charter that said the following:

(click to show/hide)
You would arrive at Olegs Trading post when you follow the road leaving the city southwards for around 2 weeks.There further explanation would be given to you.
You were promised 1000 gold pieces for securing the land.

((Now you can post a little introduction for you character how the others encountered them and such.))   
Movie Quote of the Week (Brazil):
Sam Lowry: Is that one of your triplets?
Jack Lint: Yeah, probably.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: Act 1: STOLEN LAND
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 08:28:34 AM »
One of the last to join the expedition is a tall, spare young man in worn and travel-stained garb.  His ears are quite large, and his face somewhat elongated, giving him a sort of canine look about him.  He's accompanied by a small dog-like creature, and doesn't say much.  His face is careworn beyond his years.

His voice is quiet and measured, his words thoughtful.  "Windlost am I called."
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 09:26:04 AM »
The halfling in the moss green cloak flips back his hood to reveal shaggy blonde hair to his shoulders, fragrant white flowers that match his tunic and trousers interwoven in his tresses.  His half-closed green eyes hold the hint of a smile, as if remembering a joke.  He touches two fingers to his brow and inclines his head slightly toward Windlost when he introduces himself.

In a high-pitched, melodic voice, he replies to Windlost.  "My parents named me Molihua Yun.  Most call my Moli."
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

shugenja handbook; talk about it here

Offline Harald

• wielding a 30 Tons Tank as an improvised flail.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 02:09:36 PM »
A quite tall and strange fellow, with a yellow-ish tanned skin and a complex black tatoo all over his chin, checks and mouth was there first. He was stretching, danced a few steps, flexed again...
After all, the night was quite busy, and he awoke only an half hour ago, not accostumed to the ale they served here. It was time to warm up, and do some exercices.
Too bad he had to leave so soon this city, it was a promising place. But money was short now, and a thousand gold crowns just for exploring an unknown land...
While the others arrived, he stayed silent during his training bout. He was quite agile, and graceful : obviously, he was a dancer, lean, quick and dextrous. He was only in his breeches, revealing some lean and hard muscles, as well as the sign of an outdoor life.
As the bells rang, seeing that people were arrived, he stopped, toke his wide-brimmed and almost formless hat from the pile where he put his other belongings, and saluted them widly, with a cheerful smile.
A pleasure to meet you all ! I'm Ihimaera, of the Tomare tribe. His voice was low, but melodious.
"-Lady-Captain, we detect 20 hostile vessels against us,  and Erasmus Haarlock's Spear of Destiny ! What are your orders ?
-RAMMING SPEED !

final result : 6 slaughts vessels, 4 imperial frigates, 2 imperial cruisers destroyed. Haarlock sent into the warp. 0 losses. Flawless Victory.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 04:41:59 PM »
At first appearing human, the man stands of slightly above average height with broad shoulders and a well toned body. The tracery of icy blue lines along his skin marks him as something not quite human. Hailing from colder lands, as marked by the lashings on his boots for snowshoes, he pushes the door to the hall open with ease, used the snowblocked doors of his home. Out of the pouch at his belt poked a series of scalpels, forceps and the white hint of a bandage.  Seeing the few gathered in the hall, he spoke, his voice sharp and rumbling, almost like the sound of a snow bank sliding down the side of a mountain, "Hail all, my name is Jack Ashatar, my greetings."
Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 10:51:27 PM »
A small reptilian creature wanders out of Town Hall, blinking in the noonday sun.  Rather than skin, he is covered in brown and tan scales bearing the obvious signs of advanced age.  Once he steps out into the sunlight, his scales take on a gossamer sheen, like oil floating on water.  His bearing belies his age, however, and he strides forward with confidence.  He appears to be unarmed, but is clad in stiff leather armor. 
Stopping before you, he announces "Greetings, Children.  I, Zsass of Clan Brightscales, Speaker of the Dragon, will be joining you on this expedition of knowledge and discovery."
And then, in Draconic, "May the Mother of Dragons guide us on our path."
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 11:17:25 PM »
"Hail reptilian creature. You've traveled far for such a job. Why have you come so far? Myself, I have made a journey also. Many a day of walking has brought me to this stop on my path,"  spoke Jack as he offered his hand to the being in front of him. He thought that Zsass might be a kobold but would have to check his books to be sure.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 11:36:42 PM »
Gingerly, Zsass grasps your hand, taking care not to accidentally draw blood with his sharp claws.
"As Speaker, my clan sponsored me to confirm the rumors that in the north, there was a land conquered and ruled by dragons.  I was to travel there, and learn of their methods of government so that my clan may benefit from their wisdom.  Unfortunately, these rumors appear to be unfounded.  But before I return home, I would seek other knowledge to bring back lest the clan's investment go to waste.  What of yourself, Jack of Clan Ashatar?  Why do you walk so far?"

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 09:17:17 AM »
"Not completely unfounded, just, distorted by distance and time, what knowledge do you seek now? Myself, I am a surgeon, although unlike many, I seek to improve upon the body of my patients, not heal. I'm in search of tomes, written by aboleth slaves and rumored to be in the unclaimed and uncharted area that we've been asked to explore," replied Jack. He admired the sharp teeth and claws of his new aquantence(sp?). They may have been small, but Jack was sure what they lacked in size could be made up for in finesse. The luster of the humanoid dragonscales drew his attention also, much stronger than the skin of most other humanoids.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 07:47:23 PM »
I know not what knowledge I will find, but I will know if I find it.
To the group at large:  Companions, I suggest that we go our separate ways for the present and take care of any business we have in the city.  Then tomorrow at dawn, we meet at the southern gate and depart for Oleg's Trading Post.  Do you object?

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 07:49:51 PM »
Windlost has been watching and observing silently.  He seems to be a man of few words.

At Zsass's suggestion, he nods, and then suddenly transforms into a nearly-identical copy of the canine creature next to him.  The two trot off at a brisk pace.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 10:32:03 PM »
No objection, new companions and friends.  May the Lady smile on us in the morn.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Offline Harald

• wielding a 30 Tons Tank as an improvised flail.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 02:03:11 PM »
"No objection either. The Spirits of the Mist watch us all."
With a bow and a smile, the young tatooed man moved back... and bumped against the city hall strongly, too busy staring Windlost metamorphosis to watch out.
Laughing heartily, Ihimaera put the remaining of his clothes on, took his bag, looking for the horse market.
Exploring the wild unknown without a beast of burden to pack some extra material would be particularly unwise.

(click to show/hide)
"-Lady-Captain, we detect 20 hostile vessels against us,  and Erasmus Haarlock's Spear of Destiny ! What are your orders ?
-RAMMING SPEED !

final result : 6 slaughts vessels, 4 imperial frigates, 2 imperial cruisers destroyed. Haarlock sent into the warp. 0 losses. Flawless Victory.

Offline Pencil

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 04:47:26 PM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 05:46:24 PM by Pencil »

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 05:38:17 PM »
"Tomorrow, until then, may the wind blow warm and easy," spoke Jack, a smile touching his lips at the mention of a warm wind. It took him back to the tall mountians of his childhood. He pulled the door open and walked from the building to find a place to wait the night out. Tomorrow he would be leaving with his new companions and, along the way, he hoped to start his grafting profession.

Offline Pencil

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 06:19:33 PM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

As you continue your journey the land begins to change gradually as you move along.The Road gets worse but even the normally oh so normal urban signs are getting even less.But still that  feeling is not all that bad.The landscape is nice and the weather is getting pretty hot (20 C) for those accustomed to the north.
The travel goes on without any great disturbances and after even less days than expected, only 12 to be exact, you approach a hill and on top of said hill you witness a view like only few you had in your life till now.You see a gigantic forest to which your road leads.In the East you see a landscape dominated by mountains and hills.In the west a deep grey smiles at you in shape of a swamp.
Those are the stolen lands.And more specifically the Greenbelt and it feels like it almost waited for you.
From your local point it shouldn`t be long until you arrive at Oleg`s so you depart so that you can get there by the next morning.During the night you do not sleep well because this forest seems to be alive during the night.All those tiny insects and bird noises.All those hunting animals around you.They irritate you but nothing out of the ordinary happens.
The next day you travel fast and lightfooted even though the forest makes walking harder you still have a road so you get ahead fast.
Finally it is around noon and you arrive at Oleg`s Trading post.It seems strange though because this is not what you expected.It is a wooded bastion with closed gates.
From the outside it looks like this:

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 06:30:50 PM by Pencil »

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 11:26:42 PM »
(click to show/hide)

The forest was an odd experience for Jack. At home, the forest was a cold and unforgiving place of darkness and wolves. Not to mention the odd cave troll that wandered down from its home. Jack thought back to the time he had watched a troll's healing in effect. If only his body healed like that, he'd never have to worry about most injuries. From the post, he'd need to pick up any information he could, but maybe his companions would be better suited to the task. The icy tundra teaches survival, but it also teaches loneliness. Jack wasn't much used to talking with people. Even when he worked with his father, he always said he needed to work on his bedside manner.

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 11:42:34 PM »
"I must ask that I always either get the watch encompassing the sunrise or, at a minimum, am awakened to see it.  My magics do not function well without a cup of tea to greet the first rays of dawn."
Mori walks along briskly with the others, taking up the penultimate place in a marching order should thing become narrow.  Upon arrival at Oleg's he looks up with a low whistle.
"Someone here went to great pains to appear very large."

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 09:34:33 PM »
I would be happy to share a bit of minor magic with you all, to ease the heat.
(click to show/hide)

As we march, Zsass observes the scenery, contemplating as he always does what sort of Dragons might live in such an environment.  Green ones, probably, to match the leaves.  Or brown.  Is there such a thing as a brown dragon?  Probably.  Zsass isn't sure. 
Zsass walks at the rear of the group, looking around curiously at his surroundings.  Occasionally he'll see an interesting looking rock and flip it over, just to see what's underneath.  When the group sets up camp for the night, Zsass happily volunteers for the first watch.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 10:24:36 PM »
"I'll take watch during the darkest hours, second to last if you will. My eyes were burned by the harsh light off the snow as a child. Because of this, my sight works best when the night is darkest," said Jack. He walked, his strides long and powerful, accustomed to traversing frost covered mountains. Then he felt the cooling effect of Zsass' magic. His shoulders relaxed, and he wiped his brow of sweat. The heat made him tense. "Thank you Zsass. Is that something all of you kind can do, or is it something that you learned in your travels?"