Author Topic: Feats for Attributes  (Read 2040 times)

Offline ImperatorK

• Legendary Member
  • Chara did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
    • Kristof Imperator YouTube Channel
Feats for Attributes
« on: July 04, 2016, 12:38:03 PM »
I'd like to allow players getting higher Attributes by using feats, but I'm not sure how much should they give. Plus, there's two options of how to do it - a straight +X to a stat OR +X to your pointbuy pool (I houseruled that you don't gain a normal +1 per four levels, but instead you gain +1 pointbuy every level) - and I don't know which would be better as a feat.
Magic is for weaklings.

Alucard: "*snif snif* Huh? Suddenly it reeks of hypocrisy in here. Oh, if it isn't the Catholic Church. And what's this? No little Timmy glued to your crotch. Progress!"
My YT channel - LoL gameplay

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
Re: Feats for Attributes
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 02:01:18 PM »
Considering you are using pointbuy on level up, definitely make the feats use the same system.  You will have to adjust the rate to suit your campaign, but perhaps you could go something like 2 points +1 per 4 levels when the feat is taken.  This makes the feat more appealing to take at higher levels, when feats should be stronger so that it still competes.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline faeryn

• Dedicated Spellthief: stealing all your spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 09:55:03 AM »
You know, there already exists a set of feats that grant +1 to their respective Attributes...

Great [Attribute Name]

There is one for each attribute and they all grant +1 each and can be taken multiple times... Granted they are Epic feats... buf if your looking to houserule things anyway you may as well just houserule that feat set to be non-epic...

Offline ImperatorK

• Legendary Member
  • Chara did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
    • Kristof Imperator YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 11:42:43 AM »
You know, there already exists a set of feats that grant +1 to their respective Attributes...

Great [Attribute Name]

There is one for each attribute and they all grant +1 each and can be taken multiple times... Granted they are Epic feats... buf if your looking to houserule things anyway you may as well just houserule that feat set to be non-epic...
I know. And quite frankly, they suck. They're not Epic feats. They're not even worth a normal feat.
Magic is for weaklings.

Alucard: "*snif snif* Huh? Suddenly it reeks of hypocrisy in here. Oh, if it isn't the Catholic Church. And what's this? No little Timmy glued to your crotch. Progress!"
My YT channel - LoL gameplay

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 12:29:21 PM »
If that's how you feel about the existing feats balance, then 5th edition's setup might be about right. +2 to a stat for a feat (or, more accurately, the option to trade one of your +2 racial stat bonuses for a feat instead), and a large number of feats with +1 to a stat and something useful and feat-worthy attached to it.