Author Topic: High End OOC thread III-Separations of Doom  (Read 168836 times)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: High End OOC thread III-Separations of Doom
« Reply #200 on: September 10, 2016, 05:58:03 PM »
Kind of both, per Sage pin prevents Maneuvers/Stances. Normal Grapples only prevent the things that'll normally be blocked. Like you could still use a Strike that issues a melee attack but you couldn't for example use Sudden Leap because you can't simply walk away.

Since Mega Flare is just a go boom from the Control Rod, it should be perfectly fine to use. Rocket Dive, well of course not.  :P

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 10, 2016, 06:02:55 PM »
So was my retreat into cover after my attack ignored?

At what point was my Alert triggered, if at all? To know whether it is still up to counter the grapple. Or if it gets used to counter the mobup damage depending on which came first. Since Alert apparently works even on attacks that don't require attack rolls.

Hmm, depending on how Tower Watching Blade interacts with mobs tho, Katherine might be able to stop the entire single attack hitting everyone.....

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #202 on: September 10, 2016, 09:08:02 PM »
Ok, let's see if I don't miss any important question.

Also, I'm confused how much damage I'm taking: 272-AC and DR stuff, or 272-1/2 of AC and DR stuff. O_o

272-1/2 of (Nat armor+Armor+Shield) -1/2 DR. Other AC bonus don't apply.

At least I'm still up either way. Possibly in negative HP, but up. Also, can they grapple a colossal target?
The marauder mob right now counts as mecha gargantuan, so yes.

Well Mech's only have Natural/Dodge bonuses to AC and given the 1/2 rate on probably like 15 AC yeah you're pretty much screwed if you don't have an alternative means to reduce or dodge the damage. Also I think Hugo just got a special energy-net grapple ability using his funnels (aka a dozen tiny robots) so maybe the nanomachine mechs are just fancy looking funnels.

I also feel compelled to break out the big guns here. Given that Bahamut is Colossal can I just use Baha's natural weapons instead of the mech's?

Yes, you can use natural weapons from inside a mecha. They're supposed to work as really big power armor for big creatures after all.

We actually engaged the first battle all in mecha.

Also, here's a reminder that all allies within 30-ft of Mao gain a +8 bonus to AC and Reflex saves
That's coming from Ancient Temple/Border of Life's feat, right? I've changed it to another effect a bunch of months ago although I guess I forgot to point it out. You can keep it for this battle but I'll have to ask you to update your character sheet when this battle is over (feel free to swap it for another feat).

Mind you, only Armor/Shield/Natural Armor AC bonus count to protect against mob damage.

All allies within 30 mu (pretty much the whole room) also gain a +6 command bonus to attack rolls and AC.

That should help a bit mitigate the damage and perhaps better avoid being grappled, depending on Osle's ruling on attack bonuses applying to grapple checks.
(considering the whole Weapon Focus giving a +1 bonus to attack rolls with grapples and the Sage stating that being prone applies its penalty to attack rolls to grapple checks)
Hhmm, you appear to be right.

Which means the mob's bonus DCs should be higher. Updated the IC with the updated grapple DCs from the mob.

Nah, working out the exact grapple if we're working on MU scale. I think my modifier would be ~+32 with everything considered and without the size effects. Defensively, not much going on, except for Fall of Great Stars. That doesn't seem likely to help in the current scenario except by skipping the whole round.

Mecha scale.

So was my retreat into cover after my attack ignored?
Katherine only hit one sword slash, not enough to trigger the tactical feat.

At what point was my Alert triggered, if at all? To know whether it is still up to counter the grapple. Or if it gets used to counter the mobup damage depending on which came first. Since Alert apparently works even on attacks that don't require attack rolls.
If you had Alert up, it would auto-block the grapple since that was used first.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 10, 2016, 09:39:01 PM »
My chances of retreating to giant robot are slim. Looks like it's gonna be an all-or-nothing starsplosion. :lmao

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 10, 2016, 09:46:06 PM »
Yes but I still used a Move Action regardless, the Tactical Feat simply would have added the Fog Cloud to it (whether that'd have impeded or not not mattering to me atm)

It's not like I was adjacent to the target I attacked or anything, it was simply a "well IF this meets all the conditions, I might as well activate it for free. If I miss, oh well still gonna do it." :/

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 10, 2016, 10:00:05 PM »
All allies within 30 mu (pretty much the whole room) also gain a +6 command bonus to attack rolls and AC.

That should help a bit mitigate the damage and perhaps better avoid being grappled, depending on Osle's ruling on attack bonuses applying to grapple checks.
(considering the whole Weapon Focus giving a +1 bonus to attack rolls with grapples and the Sage stating that being prone applies its penalty to attack rolls to grapple checks)
Not really.

Basically what you have is "A grapple check is like a melee attack roll, but it’s modified by your grapple modifier."RC being liberally takes as it is an attack roll even through the second half of that sentence completely alters what you use to modify it. Likewise "Other Modifiers: Feats, such as Improved Grapple, and other abilities can provide grapple check modifiers."RC being liberally taken as circulatory logic, or if grapple check == attack then weapon focus == other ability rather title namesake of modifiers that alter grapple checks.

To get a little more wordy here.
(click to show/hide)
Anyway, he got his +6 and they got their +15 out of it.  So way to go Anomander on effectively increasing the DC by +9.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 10:32:19 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 10, 2016, 10:18:36 PM »
On mecha scale, my grapple check is (despite being rather small) a mighty... +26. Because I wasn't aware this was a mecha thing somehow. :lmao

Since 13 STR, 13 BAB. Nice and simple, attack rolls don't seem to apply and I've never gotten bothered about the detailed rules before because I think this is the first time I've been actually grappled in 3.5 where the size or other specific modifiers aren't just crushing it.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 10, 2016, 10:30:38 PM »
Yes but I still used a Move Action regardless, the Tactical Feat simply would have added the Fog Cloud to it (whether that'd have impeded or not not mattering to me atm)

It's not like I was adjacent to the target I attacked or anything, it was simply a "well IF this meets all the conditions, I might as well activate it for free. If I miss, oh well still gonna do it." :/

Well in that case if you only move 100 feet away the mob still easily catches up with you. And yes they managed to notice you, I rolled the spot check bundled in advance.

Not really.

Basically what you have is "A grapple check is like a melee attack roll, but it’s modified by your grapple modifier."RC being liberally takes as it is an attack roll even through the second half of that sentence completely alters what you use to modify it. Likewise "Other Modifiers: Feats, such as Improved Grapple, and other abilities can provide grapple check modifiers."RC being liberally taken as circulatory logic, or if grapple check == attack then weapon focus == other ability rather title namesake of modifiers that alter grapple checks.

To get a little more wordy here.
(click to show/hide)
And I'd also like to point out his error just undoubtedly screwed a bunch of you guys over. And us I say you guys because I'll just apply my bonuses to attack and Baha still makes his grapple check anyway (20 roll, +13 bab, +22 str, +4 luck, +3 supporting, +6 mao, etc. already hit 68 vs dc 59). He got his +6 and they got their +15 out of it. Which also makes a great case for me not trying to push things simply so "I win" in game thanks to that amazingly roll. So way to go Anomander on increasing the DC by +9.

Good argument, then for sanity's sake let's say that only things that explicitly apply to grapple actually apply to grapple instead of everything that boosts melee attacks. Re-updated IC DCs.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 10, 2016, 10:34:50 PM »
I mean, the salient point from this is the nat 1/nat 20 thing applying.

That roll: so near, yet so far.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 10:36:24 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 10, 2016, 10:41:30 PM »
Good argument, then for sanity's sake let's say that only things that explicitly apply to grapple actually apply to grapple instead of everything that boosts melee attacks. Re-updated IC DCs.
I'm sure more than one person is grateful for that.

Through I'm still not sure if I'm supposed to apply my Size Mod, Colossal (+16) or Mech's Medium (umm +0 for "medium"?).

I'm pretty sure a Natural 20 does not grant auto success on Grapple Checks but I'd have to double check. Ability/Skill Checks are not affected, Attack/Saves are, Grapple probably isn't. I just happen to have both a great roll and a high enough modifier that it doesn't matter too much.

All through, a minor tangent to bring up. Ols typically awards a +5 bonus to your Save against an immunity-piercing effect if you have the actual immunity. Maybe if you have FoM you could ask for that if it'll help. Likewise if your Mech is sentient it could attempt an aid you for +2 maybe? In either case, nuke it before it pins you. Just don't directly aim at me because it still counts as Bludgeoning damage :p
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 10:47:05 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 10, 2016, 11:05:02 PM »
And I'd also like to point out his error just undoubtedly screwed a bunch of you guys over.
My error? I never said that attacks bonuses are supposed to apply to grapple checks. I only asked if Osle was among those who did, because if he applied attack bonuses to the enemy I certainly want us all to benefit from it as well. If he did, it wouldn't make it worse for us.
Thanks for your analysis of the position, still.

Through I'm still not sure if I'm supposed to apply my Size Mod, Colossal (+16) or Mech's Medium (umm +0 for "medium"?).
The +0 for being medium, since you are in your mecha fighting a mecha opponent.

I'm actually surprised a mob can grapple more than one target at once. The entry for Mob grapple doesn't specify it affects more than one target per use. A grapple typically affects a single creature. Other abilities may allow it to do so, though. Not sure if it did an attack roll to make the grapple or if it went straight to the grapple check (for the purpose of what can be used to defend against it).

Oh, I'm considering doing like ketaro and using Radiant Rolling Counter to stop the mob up damage. I can tank it though if it spares you lot the damage I'm all for it.

That's coming from Ancient Temple/Border of Life's feat, right?
Monster class abilities and leader feats, actually.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 11:19:02 PM by Anomander »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 10, 2016, 11:14:11 PM »
I'm pretty sure a Natural 20 does not grant auto success on Grapple Checks but I'd have to double check. Ability/Skill Checks are not affected, Attack/Saves are, Grapple probably isn't. I just happen to have both a great roll and a high enough modifier that it doesn't matter too much.

All through, a minor tangent to bring up. Ols typically awards a +5 bonus to your Save against an immunity-piercing effect if you have the actual immunity. Maybe if you have FoM you could ask for that if it'll help. Likewise if your Mech is sentient it could attempt an aid you for +2 maybe? In either case, nuke it before it pins you. Just don't directly aim at me because it still counts as Bludgeoning damage :p

I don't have FoM precisely because FoM protects mostly against things that I am very good against, providing I am not inconveniently small. So the grapple is there. xD

As for the +1/+20 thing: if grapples work like attack rolls (which seems to be the case, though I might be misreading) but don't have the bonuses of attack rolls, then they share in the attack roll/save autosuccess and failure shenanigans.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 11, 2016, 12:29:48 AM »
People who want to attempt counters can attempt so, but mob anatomy means Radiant Rolling Counter and Tower Watching Blade won't work unless you manage to deal at least 25% of the mob's HP in damage to drop their full immunity to single-target effects.

The +0 for being medium, since you are in your mecha fighting a mecha opponent.
Correct.

I'm actually surprised a mob can grapple more than one target at once. The entry for Mob grapple doesn't specify it affects more than one target per use. A grapple typically affects a single creature. Other abilities may allow it to do so, though. Not sure if it did an attack roll to make the grapple or if it went straight to the grapple check (for the purpose of what can be used to defend against it).

"Mob grapple: a mob can grapple as a standard action, altough it cannot be grappled back by creatures smaller than itself. Sucessfull rolls from smaller oponents just mean it managed to don't be brought down by the mob. Instead of unarmed damage, the mob deals  the mob up attack damage to grappled oponents as they are mercyless steped over by the angry individuals. The mob can carry grappled oponents at it's full speed."

The wording may have room for improvement, but I would say it's already pointing out a mob can grapple multiple targets simultaneously.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 11, 2016, 01:24:16 AM »
People who want to attempt counters can attempt so, but mob anatomy means Radiant Rolling Counter and Tower Watching Blade won't work unless you manage to deal at least 25% of the mob's HP in damage to drop their full immunity to single-target effects.
Ah, yes. Thanks for pointing it out. Another question, would abilities like Mao's that allow an attack to affect multiple targets count as an area attack? She can hit every enemy in reach with each attack. Not a cleave but technically better. Also, since the attacks ignore miss-chances, she could target both the leader of a mob/unit and the mob with those attacks, since she is already within the mob, right?

The wording may have room for improvement, but I would say it's already pointing out a mob can grapple multiple targets simultaneously.
It would indeed need to be reworded since non-mob creatures can also grapple with multiple targets simultaneously (typical kraken strategy). One new target at a time, though. The plural can be interpreted as taking into consideration that other mob abilities removes the grapple penalties for doing so. Also, did it do the typical touch attack that is needed to start the grapple?
Did it provoke the AoO for trying to grapple for everyone it was used on? Mobs do not get any ability that prevents provoking the AoO but maybe it's got the Improved Grapple feat that denies it.

Mao takes 79 damage from the warrior's last shots
Shots? Didn't it kamekaze itself and exploded? Just to be sure since if those are shots/ranged weapon attacks Mao could deflect some/all of them.
Never mind. I saw the penalty inflicted for 1 round and remember what last did it and how I dealt with it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 02:13:52 AM by Anomander »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 11, 2016, 03:21:06 AM »
Welp, I'm making my Immediate Actions+Turn post. Not doing any Counters, but managed to reduce damage to 1/4 so I'm not actually hurt.

Question!

Does Disappearing Elegance (Ancient Temple) give me an attack against every creature making up a Mob?  :lmao
(Or atleast until I run out of Energy because my attacks cost Energy per swing >.> )

Edit: Eheheheh......Sorry I just nova'd and likely just committed a lot of friendly fire on Ano's Cohorts/Drones -_-'
Although if they were only just on the edge of Area B as they just arrived at the area before the Marauder turned into a Mob or if they're near Mao it's easily likely they're well clear of me crap <.<
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 04:50:46 AM by ketaro »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 11, 2016, 04:01:31 AM »
Also I just noticed a disgusting combo.

Use Zeal Spirit for +1 Turn.
Use Moon Vanguard Overdrive to Recover Spirit.
Take full turn.
Take full turn again and use Zeal Spirit again on Turn 2 with your recovered Spirit.
Take 3rd full turn.

Depending on number of Overdrives a day, you can get so many back to back turns to Martial Nova like nobody's fucking business
 :lmao :lmao :lmao
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 04:18:11 AM by ketaro »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 11, 2016, 10:03:41 AM »
Nothing like being on the verge of death to motivate you into paying attention to your character sheet.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 11, 2016, 01:24:15 PM »

Use Zeal Spirit for +1 Turn.
Use Moon Vanguard Overdrive to Recover Spirit.
Take full turn.
Take full turn again and use Zeal Spirit again on Turn 2 with your recovered Spirit.
Take 3rd full turn.

Depending on number of Overdrives a day, you can get so many back to back turns to Martial Nova like nobody's fucking business
I wondered about how to abuse Zeal too though your combo is broken by one little detail: Zeal can be used only once per round. No matter how many turns you have, each different turn is within the same round.

Edit: I just read the game thread:
YoKa, C-25 & C-01 are not being paid much mind as Katherine doesn't register them as anything other than expendable drones that Mao deploys (And likely doesn't know better if they are actually important SORRY -_-', even I (ketaro) don't know for sure. Not hitting Mao & Ammy was all she was watching out for.
HOPEFULLY Mao's drones are either next to Mao or on the very edge of Area B if they only just arrived. I haven't been paying good attention to their locations.....
YoKa is with Mao in the mecha. It will rarely ever do much but supporting actions.
I consider C-25 to be extremely expandable. I mostly use it to waste my targets' Alert spirit so it isn't defended against the better stuff.
C-01 and C-25 are otherwise meant to be targets that aren't us. They can be ignored but then they get annoying. Mao can respawn them every round so I don't really care if they get blown up. I made them with the assumption that they could well blow up every round.
They were both at the entrance of the area. Just close enough to be in range and see what's going on in there. I'll have C-01 take the 'splosion for Mao, though, so it'll be with Mao and leave C-25 by itself.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 02:06:59 PM by Anomander »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 11, 2016, 01:37:41 PM »
That's when you run around with the Summon Elemental, the Reserve Feat, to keep a creature out you can order to attack you.

Like order it to go stand next to your enemies and declare it's alligence to them shortly before throwing a rock at you. Now use a Standard Action to pop off an area attack to murder it and hurt your enemy. Burn 45 Spirit (only 64% of the cost of zeal!) on Continuous Attack to gain an entire Full-Round Action. Now use the left over Move Action to stroll over and then burn 70 Spirit on Zeal to Full-Attack your opponent twice after blasting them.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 11, 2016, 02:39:27 PM »
^
That would work! Kind of like having your minions provoke harmless AoOs to get free attacks against a bunch of enemies via Cleave and similar, more efficient abilities; Valid though a bit farfetched/cheesy in execution. I've been eyeing the new Spirits as well and can't wait to retrain. Some of them are more android-ish and more interesting than what Mao's got right now.
Very interested in Scan. Could get Gamble and Gain as well since Assault is my go-to spirit and I'll rarely use anything else except in particular circumstances.

Mech's Immediate: Supporting for +3 to attack/saves/dodge.
I wanted to do something like that as well though I noticed that the mech can only do actions while you are out of it, which means it cannot use the support action while you are piloting it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 04:48:49 PM by Anomander »