Author Topic: What should I run?  (Read 18958 times)

Offline Versatility_Nut

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: What should I run?
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2017, 08:19:51 AM »
3.5 or 5e. Because I want to try out the A-game Paladin(or at least Smite to Song/Harmonious Knight on their own) in an actual game, and failing that, 5e has a hard enough optimization floor and ceiling that it's not going to be a painful mess of people trying to super-optimize or trying to avoid super-optimizing.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2017, 10:32:24 AM »
Basically this for me too.
:twitch

Any system can be optimized.
Unfamiliarity means any character can be accidentally optimized to far.
And pbp are slow enough an "unfamiliarity" handicap won't exist by next level up anyway.
(Assuming it even lasts through character creation to begin with)
/

You are also assuming competency level of your DM and intentions of your teammates, perceiving an imaginary problem, and then acting on it. I don't think that's the best way to go about things. Maybe you should pick something you want to play and then make the conscious decision that no matter your numbers on your sheet, your goal isn't to overplay everyone else.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 10:48:18 AM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2017, 11:39:54 AM »
Still pondering executive decisions, mainly to figure out what adventures  in what systems can be done in PbP properly without driving me insane.  5E is obviously out and Pathfinder isn't getting much love.

Then clearly you should break the final tie towards the system everybody here already has experience on to make your job easier wink cough nudge.

EDIT: Heck I even feel tempted to use one of your own Homebrews. Marruspawn or Werebadger with a touch Ice Beast maybe. :D

Trying to bribe me?   :lmao

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2017, 01:03:02 PM »
You are also assuming competency level of your DM and intentions of your teammates, perceiving an imaginary problem, and then acting on it. I don't think that's the best way to go about things. Maybe you should pick something you want to play and then make the conscious decision that no matter your numbers on your sheet, your goal isn't to overplay everyone else.

Are you claiming that if it's 3.5, you won't end up with a highly optimised and homebrew-heavy character sheet?  :p

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2017, 03:57:42 PM »

Are you claiming that if it's 3.5, you won't end up with a highly optimised and homebrew-heavy character sheet?  :p

That sounds like SorO to me!

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2017, 04:21:29 PM »
That sounds like SorO to me!
I sincerely doubt it given the fact that I barely even use homebrew and am more often than not provoked into certain things.  0:)

Speaking of, if we play 3.5 I have this homebrew Class with the working name of Overpowered I need to finish and play test. I actually have some of the images for it online too and it's stuff like the One Ring, Broly, Aizen, Superman, Professor X, Nicol Bolas, you know, the basics.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2017, 05:42:30 PM »
Executive Decision Time

I have removed 3.5 as an option.  It was the most voted for, but I've decided that I want to do something different from what 99% of the PbP games on this board are.

At the other end of things, I have also removed Starfinder.  The adventure paths I've looked at are extremely combat heavy and I think that learning a new system plus running my first PbP plus having that first PbP be super combat heavy which can slow the PbP down significantly is just too much for me.  Maybe once I know the system better and am more comfortable running a game on the board.

Current voting for remaining systems is as follows:

5th: Strat, Raineh, Versatility_Nut
PF: oslecamo, Raineh, linklord
Savage Worlds: SorO, Strat, linklord

If it would help people figure out what they are interested in, I can narrow each system down to a basic campaign description once I get home from work.

In addition, each game would start at first level (or the Savage Worlds equivalent).

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2017, 06:30:02 PM »
If it helps you decide at all, I'm working on building a 5e game now that I've got a new job where I have time to post during the day and have finished grad school. That would allow people to play in that system. It wouldn't be your game, of course, but it may help narrow your choice.

I was undecided whether to run it here or on MW, since PbP seems to be declining in activity here a bit.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2017, 06:32:33 PM »
I have removed 3.5 as an option.  It was the most voted for, but I've decided that I want to do something different from what 99% of the PbP games on this board are.
PF is just a more complicated version of D&D and 5th is just a more simplified version of D&D making them unwanted Goldilocks if you want to do something different.

As a substitution to Starfinder, why not use Modern with an advanced PL? It'd solve the so called fear of optimization when guns murder you so badly we're all playing red shirts anyway. Then maybe you can use the Purchase DC to Cash Value to set a spending limit with each crew member designing some aspect of the ship, and then you can plagiarize Star Trek/Wars (and spelljammer/dragonstar) for ideas as we cruise around in space. It'd have my thumbs up and Modern has a bunch prebuilt NPCs/monsters.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 06:34:26 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2017, 07:23:55 PM »
PF is just a more complicated version of D&D and 5th is just a more simplified version of D&D making them unwanted Goldilocks if you want to do something different.

As a substitution to Starfinder, why not use Modern with an advanced PL? It'd solve the so called fear of optimization when guns murder you so badly we're all playing red shirts anyway. Then maybe you can use the Purchase DC to Cash Value to set a spending limit with each crew member designing some aspect of the ship, and then you can plagiarize Star Trek/Wars (and spelljammer/dragonstar) for ideas as we cruise around in space. It'd have my thumbs up and Modern has a bunch prebuilt NPCs/monsters.

It's not about how the system compares to 3.5.  PF gets more and more diffferent the more splatbooks you delve into, and 5E is a different system altogether.

I'd never run a Modern game.  Nothing against Modern, but it isn't my thing (especially when you go into the future stuff).  I also need an established module to go off of, like I said it's been years since I've been a DM.

Offline Archon

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2017, 08:43:47 PM »

It's not about how the system compares to 3.5.  PF gets more and more diffferent the more splatbooks you delve into, and 5E is a different system altogether.

I'd never run a Modern game.  Nothing against Modern, but it isn't my thing (especially when you go into the future stuff).  I also need an established module to go off of, like I said it's been years since I've been a DM.

Pathfinder seems much of a muchness with 3.5 - I don't have strong feeling distinguishing them. (I'm maybe a little more familiar with 3.5, and own more of the books). 5e is simpler, and harder to break (mostly due to having fewer character options). But hard is not impossible. I do quite like it - it has a lot of good ideas, and it's what many of my IRL friends play.

I haven't ever played savage worlds, and am unfamiliar with the rules.

Overall, I would probably go 5th. But as SorO said, it's not really anything new, if that's what you are looking for.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2017, 08:58:35 PM »

Pathfinder seems much of a muchness with 3.5 - I don't have strong feeling distinguishing them. (I'm maybe a little more familiar with 3.5, and own more of the books). 5e is simpler, and harder to break (mostly due to having fewer character options). But hard is not impossible. I do quite like it - it has a lot of good ideas, and it's what many of my IRL friends play.

I haven't ever played savage worlds, and am unfamiliar with the rules.

Overall, I would probably go 5th. But as SorO said, it's not really anything new, if that's what you are looking for.

I feel like you and SorO are missing the point.

If you look at all of the games that have been run on this board, the vast majority are 3.5.  Thus anything that isn't 3.5 goes against the norm and is thus different from what we normally get.  I am not trying to do something that no one has ever done on this board, I'm just wanting to offer something different from the norm so that people who want something that isn't 3.5 can play something else.

Offline Archon

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2017, 09:19:58 PM »

I feel like you and SorO are missing the point.

If you look at all of the games that have been run on this board, the vast majority are 3.5.  Thus anything that isn't 3.5 goes against the norm and is thus different from what we normally get.  I am not trying to do something that no one has ever done on this board, I'm just wanting to offer something different from the norm so that people who want something that isn't 3.5 can play something else.

Fair enough. Given that people don't seem to be in the mood for breaking stuff, I'd go 5th. Otherwise, PF.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2017, 10:32:00 PM »
I can work with that.

New Voting

Our options are PF and 5E.  You can vote for both if you want.  Winning vote becomes what I run.  Both options start at 1st level and are pre-made adventures, don't fight the scenario.  Both adventures also will have milestone based leveling, no XP tracking.  Leveling will go pretty quickly (relatively anyway).  Both have the potential to have other adventures follow them smoothly enough that you'll probably notice but it will make sense.

Pathfinder: This adventure is somewhat fiddly in that it has lots of different types of rules and things to do, it's not straight hack and slash.  Game name would be "Storm of the Century".  Weather based environment effects, a middle section that is exploration based so it has the potential to go pretty slowly, and the main town does have a magic item store.

5E: Less fiddly but still plenty of role-playing potential and player agency.  Game name would be "Coastal Trouble".  Choose-your-own-adventure type possibilities, interesting twists and turns, and of course the potential for everyone to fuck themselves over.  5E, so no magic item stores.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2017, 10:37:43 PM »
Eh, I have ideas for either--I'd rather go look into the PF Psionics stuff, but 5E I can get up two things I've always wanted to play more in about two minutes.

Offline Archon

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2017, 11:01:45 PM »
They both sound cool to me. I have a few rough ideas for both.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2017, 11:19:42 PM »
Voting 5e for simplicity's sake.

I'd never run a Modern game.  Nothing against Modern, but it isn't my thing (especially when you go into the future stuff). 
:cool :D :clap

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2017, 11:32:34 PM »
For reference, my 5E standbys--halfling totem barbarian; variant human Oath of Vengeance paladin (starting with Sentinel, picking up Mageslayer or whatever it's called exactly later).

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2017, 11:40:33 PM »
I'd never run a Modern game.  Nothing against Modern, but it isn't my thing (especially when you go into the future stuff). 
:cool :D :clap

Why doesn't that reaction surprise me?   :lol

Honestly the best Modern game I ever played actually took place in 1941.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2017, 11:42:18 PM »
Existing votes tallied.  Linklord, Strat, SorO, and Versatility_Nut still to go.