Author Topic: Looking for a scifi/spacefaring RPG  (Read 4084 times)

Offline Bard

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Medium sized Lemure
    • View Profile
Looking for a scifi/spacefaring RPG
« on: August 31, 2013, 04:44:19 PM »
As title said, my DM tasked me to look for a space based-game to run when he's back from his honeymoon and whatnot (so I've got time :P).

The idea is that in the campaign we're the crew of a spaceship going around (I'm unsure if it will be something more similar to Firefly, or Stargate: Universe, or Andromeda or some other similar tv-show, but it will be something along those lines).
The backup idea is adapting Star Wars D20 (revised, I prefer it over saga) minus the jedi/force, or Cyberpunk 2020 for it, but I'd rather not resort to that (even tried to push for some mecha action and put Mekton for a Gundam style game, but failed  :rolleyes )

What I'm looking for in a system is something with a complete set of rules (the less adjudicating is left to the DM, the better), possibly including spaceship combat and custom spaceships building and that allows for a meaningful differentiation and optimization of the characters if possible (the more customization the better). Levels/classes or not is not an issue, I'm ok either way.

There are some systems I'm considering, but I'd like to get some feedback before mentioning them (also it will give me a chance to read a bit more about them than just whatever is in their intro :D)
"Playing the first 6 levels in D&D is like watching the story intro at the beginning of an action/disaster movie: it's boring and the shorter it is, the better."

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Warrior Skald, teller of tales.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a scifi/spacefaring RPG
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 05:09:52 PM »
d20 Modern with the d20 Future supplement could probably pull it off.  And you'd all be relatively familiar with the game system.

Offline Bard

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Medium sized Lemure
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 09:07:12 AM »
d20 Modern with the d20 Future supplement could probably pull it off.  And you'd all be relatively familiar with the game system.

That's one of the ones I was considering, I've actually already ""found"" the books and I'm planning to read them to see if it's worth buying them.
But from what I recall D20 Future has no setting included, only some campaigns with some info aobut them. :\

Also I was curious to at least give a peek to other systems so, having a look around I found Star Hero (with added bonus of introducing the Hero System to my current party with hopes of playing Champions in the future :P) and Traveller (I know it has a D20 version too.. and GURPS... and Hero, but I also interested in his own system).

Has anyone around here played them? Any opinions? (even about what version of Traveller to use would be great).
"Playing the first 6 levels in D&D is like watching the story intro at the beginning of an action/disaster movie: it's boring and the shorter it is, the better."

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 09:16:19 AM »
Want a setting for d20 Modern spacefaring?

http://michael.tresca.net/

Lots of free things there.  The one I would use and be interested in would be the PDF on Aliens (like, the xenomorphs that Ellen Ripley was always fighting against.)

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 09:45:21 AM »
Dark Heresy?

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 01:28:01 PM »
Dark Heresy?

Rogue trader would be more apt I think. Being as its focused around playing the crew of an ship rather than covert ops style agents on a planet I think it has a lot more rules for spaceship combat/navigation than dark heresy.

That being said, 40k has a rather unique setting that might need some editing to perfectly mesh with the OP's ideas.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 01:31:00 PM by littha »

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 07:17:40 PM »
That being said, 40k has a rather unique setting that might need some editing to perfectly mesh with the OP's ideas.
That'd be my assessment.

I was going to suggest Star Wars Saga as the most complete -- a lot of systems sort of suck at the spaceship combat rules.  That sort of thing isn't all that well developed in stuff like M&M, though you could make that work with by taking a page out of the Mechas and Manga sourcebook. 

Really, though, Firefly, SG:U, and so on all share a pretty close DNA to Star Wars, so that or d20 Modern/Future is probably a decent bet.  There's also stuff like Savage Worlds, but that may not give you enough crunch for the spaceships and I can't really speak intelligently about it anyway.

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 07:35:13 PM »
Way back when, there was a Stargate: SG-1 rpg.  It was loosely based on d20 Modern, but did have some large differences.  I'm sure one of the expansion books (if not the main book) dealt with ship combat.  No clue how good it was, though.

Offline Bard

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Medium sized Lemure
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 04:28:42 AM »
That'd be my assessment.
I wouldn't touch that with a adventurer quality 15ft pole. But even excluding my own ideas about the WH games, it really doesn't fit as a setting.

I was going to suggest Star Wars Saga as the most complete -- a lot of systems sort of suck at the spaceship combat rules.
This is a good one, even tho I'd go for the revised edition over saga (I like it more and have the books already)

There's also stuff like Savage Worlds, but that may not give you enough crunch for the spaceships and I can't really speak intelligently about it anyway.
If I could find a good scifi setting for Savage Worlds with space combat rules in it I'd just pick it with no second thought. The SW system would be perfect, but afaik there's no such thing as a spacefarer scifi setting for it and no spaceship rules either. (Not published material at least) If you know one it'd be wonderful! D:

Overall now I'm reading the Traveller 20 books, and got myself the D20 Future/Future Tech ones too waiting. Unluckily I haven't been able to find T5 around and I'm not to keen on buying it without having a look at it first.. I'll have to see if there's some demo version around at least.

Offline Bard

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Medium sized Lemure
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 05:14:25 PM »
Just an update. The DM suddenly decided to go for a full blown Star Wars D20 campaign, so I mostly spent the last three days searching and stuff for nothing  :shakefist
Thanks for the help nonetheless!

PS: Now I want to play Traveller and D20 Modern too :(