Author Topic: Great General Discussion and Suggestions II-Z  (Read 80085 times)

Offline Fzzr

• View Profile
Re: Great General Discussion and Suggestions II-Z
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 01:15:27 AM »
Can the discount versions of Progressive Edge and Cutting Plasma Field lead to a weapon that costs both ammo and energy?

Offline CKirk

• Something something optimization.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2018, 01:21:18 AM »
So, looking more closely at Darling Drive and Secondary Subpilot, they both say:
You must also spend 8 hours every day bonding in some way with your subpilot (chatting, playing, sharing a hobby, mecha maintenance, house cleaning, shopping, etc) outside of combat or they'll refuse to ride the same mecha as you.
I imagine this is supposed to mimic Wizard rest time, but as written, it reduces your 10hr adventuring day to a 2hr one, which seems a shame because these would otherwise be awesome feats. Is that intentional? If it isn't, I'd suggest dropping it down to 1hr, just like a prepared caster prepping spells.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2018, 01:31:29 AM »
Can the discount versions of Progressive Edge and Cutting Plasma Field lead to a weapon that costs both ammo and energy?
Yes. There's some weapons like that in SRW and here could also happen with Arcane Arsenal.

So, looking more closely at Darling Drive and Secondary Subpilot, they both say:
You must also spend 8 hours every day bonding in some way with your subpilot (chatting, playing, sharing a hobby, mecha maintenance, house cleaning, shopping, etc) outside of combat or they'll refuse to ride the same mecha as you.
I imagine this is supposed to mimic Wizard rest time, but as written, it reduces your 10hr adventuring day to a 2hr one, which seems a shame because these would otherwise be awesome feats. Is that intentional? If it isn't, I'd suggest dropping it down to 1hr, just like a prepared caster prepping spells.

Hmmm, a day has 24 hours. 8 for rest, 8 for bonding, that's still 8 hours left for adventuring.

Thanks! The "For some reason" bit was more aimed specifically at Yazan. Helping allies isn't exactly something he's known for, you know?

Wait, you mean the Z/ZZ Yazan? He's recruitable now?? At this rate next game we may just be able to recruit Archibald and Rau Le Creuset.

(although in a more serious note, secondary characters often get support spirits to try to make up for their crappy stats).

Offline CKirk

• Something something optimization.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2018, 01:50:34 AM »
Yes. There's some weapons like that in SRW and here could also happen with Arcane Arsenal.

Hmmm, a day has 24 hours. 8 for rest, 8 for bonding, that's still 8 hours left for adventuring.

Thanks! The "For some reason" bit was more aimed specifically at Yazan. Helping allies isn't exactly something he's known for, you know?

Wait, you mean the Z/ZZ Yazan? He's recruitable now?? At this rate next game we may just be able to recruit Archibald and Rau Le Creuset.

(although in a more serious note, secondary characters often get support spirits to try to make up for their crappy stats).

Yes, that Yazan. He's a secret in V, and is playable in a DLC scenario in X. He's recruitable because the Titans are still part of the federation or something (Jerid is available too!), and if you meet the conditions for their unlock, they get assigned to your ship.

Standard rules are 'you get 10 hours a day to do things that aren't basic necessities'. Though I suppose that's just an extrapolation of crafting rules and not actually stated anywhere. Objection withdrawn!

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2018, 02:08:49 AM »
It actually makes sense that the titans would think twice about rebelling when there's multiple alien races beelining to conquer/destroy Earth plus multiple crazy scientists also wanting to conquer/destroy Earth.

SRW plots can really get gloriously silly when humans are hellbent in fighting slightly different humans when giant hungry bugs are raining down from the skies along other cosmic horrors and whatnot.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2018, 07:46:54 PM »
Okay, I'm here to look at stuff as requested.  Subtle nagging was indeed the best way to get me to do what I agreed to do.   :p

I've been keeping an eye on the SRW stuff, are you done changing everything again or should I wait before looking at stuff?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2018, 10:20:59 PM »
Actually things have been stable enough for the last months that I even managed to get around to finishing a bunch of pilot schools and adding new options around. Remember there's a changelog just below the index.

So yes there's no big overhaul in the works, feel free to go ahead. :P

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2018, 11:42:35 PM »
There hasn't been a big overhaul but there have been a lot of small changes so I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to review something and then review it again because of lots of unrelated tweaks.   :p

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2018, 11:55:08 PM »
I promise I'll hold back on tweaking the current material. :bigeyes

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2018, 07:56:25 PM »
Tweaking is fine as long as I know what's going on, so if you tweak something just don't assume that I'll know about it if you don't tell me.   :P

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2018, 12:34:02 AM »
Understood, I'll keep that in mind.  :)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2018, 01:57:43 PM »
I don't think I've reviewed anything for you in depth, so just fyi I read everything but I only comment on things that I have comments about and it can get very stream of consciousness.

I'll probably avoid language corrections since you have someone on that front.

The basics seems like the best place to start.

Oh good, you recognize that your mecha stuff has a higher power level than normal and have rules for toning it down in a non-srw game.

Your recommended mecha series spoiler is empty.

Language correction person should please review the mecha combat basics spoiler, my phone isn't the place for me to do serious editing from.

Do mecha gain the pilot's fast healing?

On crits do mechas take all damage or just the extra damage from it being a crit (on top of the pilot taking damage)?

How do attack rolls for Area Assault work?

It is now lunchtime, I'll have to do the rest of the thread later.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2018, 08:09:02 PM »
I don't think I've reviewed anything for you in depth, so just fyi I read everything but I only comment on things that I have comments about and it can get very stream of consciousness.

I'll probably avoid language corrections since you have someone on that front.
Engrish is all part of the charm and 100% intentional.

The basics seems like the best place to start.

Oh good, you recognize that your mecha stuff has a higher power level than normal and have rules for toning it down in a non-srw game.

Your recommended mecha series spoiler is empty.
After photobucket, seems like imgur is starting to give problems with hotlinking. Replaced with postimage link, can you see it now? Also please do let me know if any other images are not showing up (there should be a pic at the very start and another at the very last post of the intro thread).

EDIT: Still having some problems, seems like it was too big so breaking it down in smaller pieces.
EDIT EDIT: Ok, seems to be working now.

Language correction person should please review the mecha combat basics spoiler, my phone isn't the place for me to do serious editing from.
That would be Fzzr, but he would probably appreciate if you could support on that front when possible. :p

Do mecha gain the pilot's fast healing?
Yes.

On crits do mechas take all damage or just the extra damage from it being a crit (on top of the pilot taking damage)?
All damage.

How do attack rolls for Area Assault work?
Added "roll once and compare against their ACs".

It is now lunchtime, I'll have to do the rest of the thread later.
Looking up to it, thanks. :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 08:41:53 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Fzzr

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2018, 09:28:58 PM »
Yeah, I have a lot of catching up to do on the wiki... and when it's that time, it's also spelling time.

Edit: What I'm saying is, if there are any threads where you're going to want placeholder posts, now is probably the time. =P

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2018, 09:34:52 PM »
Forgive me for my engrish, but what exactly do you mean by placeholder posts?

Offline Fzzr

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2018, 09:47:15 PM »
Forgive me for my engrish, but what exactly do you mean by placeholder posts?

Reserved post/comment. Placeholder, as in something that holds a place (like a place in line).

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2018, 03:25:26 PM »
I did not expect fixing the images to involve so much kissing.   :P

I'll be nice to Fzzr and work on the "Engrish" in the Mecha Combat Basics spoiler since I have a full keyboard this time.  I've just copied the whole spoiler contents and corrected, you can paste the corrections back in.  Since I was editing it anyway I clarified the sections on Fast Healing and Critical Hit damage.

Getting into a mecha you own is a standard action as long as you're adjacent to it (getting into a mecha you don't own will demand hacking and tricking and be completely dependent on the situation and extremely time-inefficient). Getting out of a mecha is a move action, putting you into any adjacent square. While piloting the mecha, it counts as equipped by you only for the purposes of the Plain History school. Stopping piloting the mecha without exiting it is still a move action, and restarting piloting from inside is still a standard action. If you don't have any pilot class, you take a -4 penalty on all 1d20 rolls while piloting a mecha.

Unless otherwise noted, each mecha has only enough space inside for the pilot carrying a light load. This can be spent to carry other people if the pilot is strong enough, although those other people cannot contribute to the mecha's abilities unless noted otherwise, and they will have to squeeze in the pilot's lap/back. Such freeloaders cannot take any actions besides basic speaking that can never trigger other stuff, including being unable to use Spirits unless they have a specific class feature that mentions it like a ship captain's 2nd officer or a Peace Princess's passenger ability. The exception is that it is  a move action for them to exit. If the current pilot does not wish to let freeloader exit, roll opposed pilot level+Str mod checks.

Mecha ranged weapons add the wielder's Dex mod to damage rolls. Ranged weapons with the Brutal property can add the wielder's Str mod to damage rolls instead. Mecha ranged weapons always provoke Aoos when firing while threatened.

Mecha weapons count as two-handed for purposes of power-attack and similar abilities if no other weapons are used in the same round.

Mecha Melee weapons add 1,5 the Str mod of the user if they don't use any other weapon for that round. If it is a [Main] weapon, 2x Str mod. If it's a Heavy melee weapon, 2,5 Str mod. If it is a Heavy [Main] melee weapon, 3x Str mod. The same thing with ranged weapons and Dex.

When full attacking, a mecha may choose to either perform iterative attacks with a single weapon or attack once with any or all of its in-built and arsenal weapons, up to a total number of weapons equal to 1+1/3 their pilot level, rounded down. In the latter case, all weapons after the first take a -5 penalty on the attack roll, only add half the relevant stat to damage, and cannot benefit from any precision damage.

Mecha weapons always count as [Force] effects whenever it would be beneficial for them, such as affecting incorporeal opponents, except for bypassing DR.

For mecha combat schools, any strike that demands you to hit your enemy with a basic attack still deals damage as normal on top of any other effects unless otherwise noticed.

The mecha uses the pilot's base saves, BAB, skill bonuses, feats, and self-buff class abilities for fighting (except Regeneration but including Fast Healing), plus the pilot's Str and Dex scores (it takes a strong pilot to handle a mecha under stress, and it takes good reflexes to make it react in time). Remember that they're amplified to the mecha's size, with every foot involved increasing to one mu (for example, a pilot in a mecha takes a -1 penalty on spot checks for every 10 mu of distance, instead of for every 10 feet). Spells that affect others, Psionics, Breath Weapons, Rays and other similar abilities from the pilot cannot be used while inside the mecha, unless it possesses a system for that (maneuvers can still be "channeled" just fine through a mecha tough). A mecha is unaffected by the pilot's size (although you cannot pilot a mecha that's smaller than you). A mecha can only change size by taking the super robot growth upgrade or some other ability that explicitly allows a mecha/ship to change its size. This includes a mecha ignoring abilities of its Pilot such as powerful build.

Despite being a machine, mechas are vulnerable to critical hits due to having complex internal structures. They also take normal damage from fire, cold and electricity and overall possess no inherent resistances or immunities besides what's explicitly mentioned, however have no break DC. Otherwise count them as objects for any other abilities, even if they somehow acquire mental scores, such as the Sentient upgrade.

Damage taken by the mecha is absorbed by the mecha's own HP, never by the pilot, unless the attack was a successful critical hit. In that case, the pilot takes the amount of damage that would have been dealt if not for the critical hit, on top of the mecha taking full damage from the critical hit. Some mechas may have extra pilot protection, reducing this damage further.

A mecha reduced to 0 HP starts to collapse. If the pilot was smaller than the mecha, he/she automatically is ejected in a pod which has 1/10 the mecha's total HP and same Nat armor/DR, but is one size category bigger than the pilot and counts as a mecha for attack purposes. The pod travels 1d12 x5 mu in a direction of the pilot's choice without provoking attacks of opportunity. Some mechas may have improved pods which can move and/or fight on their own. Exiting the pod is a move action. Pilots of the same size as the mecha are instead thrown 1d12x5 mu in a direction of their choice without provoking attacks of opportunity. The pilot may also choose to eject at any time as an immediate action even if the mecha is grappled (but not if it is pinned or the mecha otherwise disabled/helpless/unable to take actions).

A non-destroyed mecha can repair 10% of its missing HP with 1 hour of work if all of its crew/pilot work on it and aren't interrupted.

If in a grapple, only a mecha's weapons with the Defensive property count as Light for attacking purposes (and thus non-defensive weapons cannot be used).

Mechas are immune to the Wrap ability, as well as any other ability that would combine multiple creatures into one, directly or indirectly.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2018, 10:54:04 PM »
I did not expect fixing the images to involve so much kissing.   :P
Hard times demand hard measures. :p

I'll be nice to Fzzr and work on the "Engrish" in the Mecha Combat Basics spoiler since I have a full keyboard this time.  I've just copied the whole spoiler contents and corrected, you can paste the corrections back in.  Since I was editing it anyway I clarified the sections on Fast Healing and Critical Hit damage.

Great, edited in!

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2018, 11:59:49 PM »
Onto the rest of the Intro post.

As written, Beam Coat isn't a wall/barrier/field even though that is the intention (I'm thinking about for people who play SRW without you as the DM).  I'd suggest renaming it and adding wall/barrier/field to the end (Barrier would make the most sense IMO).

Can I pick spirits for a class that I don't have?

Other than that everything looks good.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2018, 12:41:17 AM »
Onto the rest of the Intro post.

As written, Beam Coat isn't a wall/barrier/field even though that is the intention (I'm thinking about for people who play SRW without you as the DM).  I'd suggest renaming it and adding wall/barrier/field to the end (Barrier would make the most sense IMO).
I honestly thought the "other" bit made it explicit. Added clause that Beam Coat counts as a barrier to make it so. It appears in too many places to risk leaving behind a non-updated version plus the name is too classic to change.

Can I pick spirits for a class that I don't have?
Yes.

Other than that everything looks good.
Yay!